Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:53:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GBP to Bitstamp  (Read 758 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 05:22:00 PM

I read that a SEPA transfer should be free of charge within the EU.

Just checked on my online banking with Halifax and it says the charge is £9.50.

Also, it gives me the option of transferring it in either GBP or Euro. Anyone have any experience of this and know which to use?

*Image Removed*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
baddogshuck

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:09:57 PM

Banks are allowed to charge for Euro transfers within the SEPA area as long as the charge is the same for domestic and SEPA transactions.  As the UK doesn't use the Euro, our banks can have a zero fee for domestic transactions and another for Euro transactions.  However, you should find it cheaper than the alternative SWIFT transfer (my banks fee for SEPA transfer is half the cost of SWIFT)

If the Halifax sends in it euros, they will do the conversion before sending the money.  If they send it in GBP, the receiving party will convert it.  The choice depends on which gives the best exchange rate.  If it was me, I'd send in euros unless the receiving party is happy to get GBP and won't charge for converting them.
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:27:42 PM

Banks are allowed to charge for Euro transfers within the SEPA area as long as the charge is the same for domestic and SEPA transactions.  As the UK doesn't use the Euro, our banks can have a zero fee for domestic transactions and another for Euro transactions.  However, you should find it cheaper than the alternative SWIFT transfer (my banks fee for SEPA transfer is half the cost of SWIFT)

If the Halifax sends in it euros, they will do the conversion before sending the money.  If they send it in GBP, the receiving party will convert it.  The choice depends on which gives the best exchange rate.  If it was me, I'd send in euros unless the receiving party is happy to get GBP and won't charge for converting them.

Thanks for that, clears it up somewhat

*Image Removed*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: