Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:18:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have multiple mining rigs? Invest in a power supply tester. Today.  (Read 141 times)
Agozyen (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:00:33 AM

I've seen a lot of posts asking for help when something goes wrong with a mining rig.  I've been a 'computer guy' since the mid-nineties, and one of the best tools you can have in your toolbox is a power supply tester.  If all you have is one computer or rig you probably won't get much use out of it, but it becomes increasingly more important the more rigs you have.  When you have a problem being able to eliminate or identify the power supply as the problem quickly will let you get back to earning profits quickly.  Fans on one of your GPU's not spinning?  Check the power cables instead of switching cards around.  Won't boot?  Check the motherboard power cable.  And so on.

They only cost anywhere from $10-$20 and will save you time if you ever need to troubleshoot your rigs.  Also, wouldn't hurt to have a spare PSU around either in case you do have a failed unit.

DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:42:41 AM

Good suggestion. Although in the case of mining rigs and consumer grade ATX power supplies, it is almost never the PSU that is the problem. It's more often than not, user error. From what i've been reading here and in our local mining support boards it's usually the case that someone simply forgot to power the riser, or forgot to plug in the usb, or some other software driver problem. I don't keep a spare PSU too since a replacement is easily procured in case of a failure.

Pennywis3

Activity: 327
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 01:07:03 AM

Yeah, a good suggestion and a cheap life saver Smiley
Doesn't happen often if you use good PSU's though.

The problems mostly are:

1. Risers - even if they work for a while, they brake, i've changed quite a few of them. Depends on how many rigs you have and how much you push the limit.
2. Overclock - combined with bad straps it gets unstable really fast.
3. CMOS - resetting it when strange problems occur can be the answer, especially on older boards.

Agozyen (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 02:27:39 AM

Good suggestion. Although in the case of mining rigs and consumer grade ATX power supplies, it is almost never the PSU that is the problem. It's more often than not, user error. From what i've been reading here and in our local mining support boards it's usually the case that someone simply forgot to power the riser, or forgot to plug in the usb, or some other software driver problem. I don't keep a spare PSU too since a replacement is easily procured in case of a failure.

Yes, if you live near a computer shop then the spare power supply becomes a waste of money.  I live in a rural area and have a garage full of old PC's so my default state is that I have pretty much a spare for anything. 
And I have lived through my fair share of user errors too. 
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:33:19 AM

Now why these almost 20years with computers..i still don't have one??

Answer:

Your mining rigs are the best power supply tester...how can that tester stress stest your psu?...some psu shows their flaws when they are hot enough, like mining for a day or two..plus other weird issues..
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:38:34 AM

-snip-

Yes, if you live near a computer shop then the spare power supply becomes a waste of money.  I live in a rural area and have a garage full of old PC's so my default state is that I have pretty much a spare for anything. 
And I have lived through my fair share of user errors too. 

Super agree with you, buddy.

Don't let us just realized when experiencing it. Always preparing for worst condition, cause we don't know when is it happen.

Ah, I remember this suggestion in my old thread. That was you.  Cheesy
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:41:59 AM

To many problems with rigs i am not buy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: