Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:42:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block tree instead of block chain  (Read 1419 times)
ilpirata79 (OP)

Activity: 353
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:46:57 PM

Hi,

would it be possible to change the current block chain to look more like a tree, as in the emunie coin?
Btw, what do you think of this new coin?

Best regards,
ilpirata79

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:53:55 PM

You propose to change Bitcoin, because you feel a tree looks nicer than a chain?

Huh
HoboTheClown

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 06:57:12 PM

Why change it?  What would it do to Bitcoin if it was to be changed?  How long would it take to do so? 
Barek

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:08:59 PM

It might be easier to just change your wallpaper to trees, or something.

Is this a serious post?
ilpirata79 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:12:28 PM

It might be easier to just change your wallpaper to trees, or something.

Is this a serious post?

No, sorry...

I wanted to start a discussion on this kind of possible "disruptive" changes...

If another coin shows that a different approach to verify transactions is better, are we (or better, the developers) going  to embrace such new approach in order to keep bitcoin at the top ? If such technology for instance helped solving the scalability and the energy problems of bitcoin?

Best regards,
ilpirata79
Barek

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:23:25 PM

If another coin shows that a different approach to verify transactions is better, are we (or better, the developers) going  to embrace such new approach in order to keep bitcoin at the top ? If such technology for instance helped solving the scalability and the energy problems of bitcoin?

Ah, I see. The block chain is central to the bitcoin protocol, as is the hash function. I think it is highly unlikely that those parts will be touched.

I sometimes see energy problems mentioned and cannot really follow that train of thought. Bitcoin is a service and as such requires infrastructure, just like many others. Take banking as a comparison. You got buildings, vaults, employees, .... All these have maintainance cost, which in total is much higher than the electricity required for Bitcoin.
ilpirata79 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:31:48 PM

Ah, I see. The block chain is central to the bitcoin protocol, as is the hash function. I think it is highly unlikely that those parts will be touched.

I think instead that the community and the ledger are more important than the technological details that should be changed if the necessity arises.

Best regards,
ilpirata79
Barek

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:43:55 PM

Since I can't make sense of the tree thing, I took at look at http://emunie.com/.

There is no documentation, no white paper, no source code, ...

There is promise of interest and a planned inbuilt exchange at the developers site?

Major alarm bells. All the signs of yet another scam coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: