Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 07:08:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, a new currency  (Read 1573 times)
fragout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:52:38 PM

I am believer but one thing bothers me after the last weeks crazy price increases. Two of bitcoins main selling points is ease of transfer from one party to another and low fees. It will be great for merchants and consumers etc, but the fact is that any1 who has spent bitcoin since its birth has lost money. They would have been better off holding on to them.
 So in theory, you would imagine that more and more people will not spend bitcoin in the future and begin hoarding. This will drive up the price further for a time as supply runs dry (miners will hoard too of course).
So this leaves us only with digital gold with the only people buying are speculators and they too will become disillusioned as the promise of bitcoin taking on credit cards, cash, bank transfers western union fade.
Im sure this has been discussed many times here, but I had no good answer to a few doubters I ran into today
Also when they say bubble, responce ?
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:56:14 PM

let me pop that bubble for ya: it's not the money of the future

that doesn't mean you can make great money from naive people though Cheesy
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 07:57:45 PM

it is money of the future

if you can't see that, i'm sorry for you...

Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:00:40 PM

I am believer but one thing bothers me after the last weeks crazy price increases. Two of bitcoins main selling points is ease of transfer from one party to another and low fees. It will be great for merchants and consumers etc, but the fact is that any1 who has spent bitcoin since its birth has lost money. They would have been better off holding on to them.
 So in theory, you would imagine that more and more people will not spend bitcoin in the future and begin hoarding. This will drive up the price further for a time as supply runs dry (miners will hoard too of course).
So this leaves us only with digital gold with the only people buying are speculators and they too will become disillusioned as the promise of bitcoin taking on credit cards, cash, bank transfers western union fade.
Im sure this has been discussed many times here, but I had no good answer to a few doubters I ran into today

If you're serious about your questions, you wouldnt have posted here in Speculation section

Second, this has been discussed to death.
wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:01:08 PM

a money that wastes energy on a permanent basis is not money of the future.

but hey, atleast we're making money selling the idea to naive people Grin
HoboTheClown

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:03:49 PM

Frag,  as a small time miner I admit I am hoarding my coins.  I don't have many as I started very late and my equipment doesn't do the kind of mining compared to the larger miners out there.  I will agree with you that as the price keeps going up no one in their right mind is going to sell any.  It all depends on the person though.  I recently spent 2.5 btc to purchase some goods.  That was before the price had skyrocketed to 800+ in which I missed out in a large gain.  Still I don't feel bad that I spent it as I have some more available.  As long as the mining continues and the value of btc goes up, I'm satisfied.  
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:04:01 PM

USD is the future of payment!

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:04:53 PM

If you're serious about your questions, you wouldnt have posted here in Speculation section

Second, this has been discussed to death.

It was moved here by a mod Tongue

wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:05:11 PM

USD is the future of payment!
one world currency issued by world bank is the future of money actually

bonus of it will be that it will not permanently waste electricity

OR, if satoshi2 comes around, Bitcoin without mining will be the money of the future. But for now that doesn't exist Wink
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:05:28 PM

its in times like these we see poeples true colors

wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:07:51 PM

its in times like these we see poeples true colors
Indeed , it's sick that there are people (miners being the first ones ine line) selling this non-workable idea to naive people on the street trying to make money off of their late-to-the-party money
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:09:29 PM

Bitcoin is more than money. It is a speculative investment. Most importantly it is a transactional vehicle that requires no trusted third party. It is capable of being a deed, a trust, a certificate of stock. ALL of these things I have listed are rather independent of price, considering that taking the trusted third party confirmation out of a transaction can be done with a single satoshi in most cases.

You can use bitcoin as a backend system to payment transfers where neither consumers nor merchants ever touch a bitcoin, however it negates the need for an automated clearing house. Talk about a waste of energy! How much energy do you think ACH companies expend comprehensively? Do you really think bitcoin is a less efficient vehicle? Hint: It's not.

Don't expect all of these systems to pop up tomorrow. Patience young ones. Legitimate enterprises take many many years to develop, particularly when they are so incredibly unprecedented.

Go ahead and panic. I'll keep my bitcoins.
Bitcopia

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:14:23 PM

Not to mention micro-transactions offered by bitcoin payment processors can and probably will shift the way that internet content is monetized.
wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:20:00 PM

Bitcoin is more than money. It is a speculative investment. Most importantly it is a transactional vehicle that requires no trusted third party. It is capable of being a deed, a trust, a certificate of stock. ALL of these things I have listed are rather independent of price, considering that taking the trusted third party confirmation out of a transaction can be done with a single satoshi in most cases.

You can use bitcoin as a backend system to payment transfers where neither consumers nor merchants ever touch a bitcoin, however it negates the need for an automated clearing house. Talk about a waste of energy! How much energy do you think ACH companies expend comprehensively? Do you really think bitcoin is a less efficient vehicle? Hint: It's not.

Don't expect all of these systems to pop up tomorrow. Patience young ones. Legitimate enterprises take many many years to develop, particularly when they are so incredibly unprecedented.

All those energy-consuming layers on top of the USD base money would exist if it was based on Bitcoin. So Bitcoin is just an additional permanent energy drain, that serves no functional purpose.
Bitcopia

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:20:28 PM

Also, think outside of your box. Kenya is already using e-float by M-pesa, which we would think is just ridiculous. But they have no legitimate banking structure, so WTF else are they going to do?

Argentina is seeing there peso hyperinflate to death while being exploited by capital controls. Bitcoin is a pretty dang solid store of wealth in such a situation where it is illegal to buy USD or more than a strict limit of precious metal.
wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:20:55 PM

Not to mention micro-transactions offered by bitcoin payment processors can and probably will shift the way that internet content is monetized.

A One World Currency with One World Central Bank would actually be infinitely cheaper and infinitely faster than Bitcoin Smiley
Bitcopia

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:22:26 PM

All those energy-consuming layers on top of the USD base money would exist if it was based on Bitcoin. So Bitcoin is just an additional permanent energy drain, that serves no functional purpose.

Saving merchants 2 - 4% on transactions serves no purpose? More efficient systems replace less efficient systems. It takes time, but it ALWAYS happens eventually. ACH will die like the dinosaur that is. Bitcoin won't exist on top of it. It will replace it.

And even IF bitcoin dies, something much like it will take its place.
Bitcopia

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

A One World Currency with One World Central Bank would actually be infinitely cheaper and infinitely faster than Bitcoin Smiley

You still need trusted third party systems to verify transactions.
wopwop

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:36:44 PM

Only the central bank needs to verify it

And the central bank can be controlled by the people through 100% transparency
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:42:17 PM

Only the central bank needs to verify it

And the central bank can be controlled by the people through 100% transparency
How much control do you have over the interest rate set by the FED or the ECB?  Or the money creation? They are being very transparent about it though.  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: