Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:14:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About merit summaries  (Read 188 times)
DevelopmentBank (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 02:29:43 AM

The way merit is changing this forum is spectacular. Congratulations to theymos and the rest of the team for implementing such a solution.

I am writing nonw because I noticed that when viewing user profiles you will see that the merit summary displayed is within the 120 day range (see reference pic below).

Does this mean that merits sent/received that are not within 120 days of the current date will no longer be viewable by the public (using the actual forum at least)? I was just wondering if whether keeping a historical record of merits, like the way posts are counted, would be helpful in weeding out merit abusers.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 02:33:23 AM

The way merit is changing this forum is spectacular. Congratulations to theymos and the rest of the team for implementing such a solution.

I am writing nonw because I noticed that when viewing user profiles you will see that the merit summary displayed is within the 120 day range (see reference pic below).

Does this mean that merits sent/received that are not within 120 days of the current date will no longer be viewable by the public (using the actual forum at least)? I was just wondering if whether keeping a historical record of merits, like the way posts are counted, would be helpful in weeding out merit abusers.

Correct, after 120 days, historical merit will be lost.  Theymos has stated interested parties should maintain old data.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2366
Merit: 837

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 02:39:14 AM

I think 120 days are long enough to find merit abusers. Theymos has had right decision to reduce pressures on the forum database and its infracstructures.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13092

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 03:56:59 AM

Mainly I do these date-limitation things just because it's always a massive pain to add pagination to things...

For the data dumps, I've been thinking that I might provide historical data (across multiple files), though.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:52:38 AM

Our own summaries are always accessible and viewable when we visit merit page of our own profiles.
Also there is a way to reduce all of the abuse and related discussions:

What we need to do is to let people to rank up normally after receiving at least 100 merits and never let them to send any merits to others. when you have the ability to send merits and rank up other members, you'd go with your nature to rank up your alts.

Monitoring 80 or 100 people is easier than monitoring thousands. now if you already have received 100 merits, you should rank up with no merit requirement and you shouldn't have the ability to send or receive any merits.

Do you really want to have a few elites by having them to receive most of the merits? you built this system to prevent account farmers with their garbage posts from ranking up. I believe receiving 100 merits is not really easy for the spammers and garbage posters, even if they are receiving merits to keep ranking up and posting garbage, you shouldn't let them to rank up any other account.

You want to hear people's opinions and ideas even if they have a broken English but you don't want them to receive even one merit? are we here for your entertainment without ranking up?

EDIT: disclaimer: this is not a copy paste, but this is a repeated idea of mine. don't ban me. just wait until I wear my copper membership badge and rub it to your face with every post, then ban me. lol.

🖤😏
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:12:40 AM

Mainly I do these date-limitation things just because it's always a massive pain to add pagination to things...

For the data dumps, I've been thinking that I might provide historical data (across multiple files), though.

Make sense. Providing a historical data will be fine.

You want to hear people's opinions and ideas even if they have a broken English but you don't want them to receive even one merit? are we here for your entertainment without ranking up?
I think the actual post about merit never said anything about broken English or proper English to receive merit. It's the image and pictures the senior forum members are planting in members mind. They needs to be careful about their word selections.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

Do not beg for merit excessively.

I quote
objectively high-quality

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: