Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:38:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Really oxford? You picked "selfie" over Bitcoin?  (Read 2130 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:16:13 PM

Selfie – "a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website" – has been named word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries editors, after the frequency of its usage increased by 17,000% over the past 12 months.

OED's Word of the Year shortlist

bitcoin, noun:

a digital currency in which transactions can be performed without the need for a central bank. Also, a unit of bitcoin. [ORIGIN early 21st century: from BIT, in the computing sense of "a unit of information" and COIN.]

The term first appeared in late 2008 in a research paper, and the first bitcoins were created in 2009. By 2012, the virtual currency was attracting wider attention and we began to see its steadily increasing use. A spike in usage was apparent in March–May 2013, which may be due in part to the market crash around that time.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/19/selfie-word-of-the-year-oed-olinguito-twerk

Well at least Bitcoin made it to the short list.  The pick of "selfie" seems downright stupid to me.  Even if Bitcoin hadn't "won" there are far better choices with staying power.  I will punch myself in the face and take a self portrait if people are still using "selfie" in ten years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:30:29 PM

Don't worry.

They will add Bitcoin too, right after they finish adding "twerk."  Roll Eyes
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 01:07:49 AM

Don't worry.

They will add Bitcoin too, right after they finish adding "twerk."  Roll Eyes

Yes, Madam, I'm looking for a girl that accepts bitcoins to twerk with me (or is it at) while I take a selfie.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:09:04 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 01:22:09 AM by Kouye

Yes, Madam, I'm looking for a girl that accepts bitcoins to twerk with me (or is it at) while I take a selfie.
Haha, I read too fast, excellent joke, as always. Apologies to anyone who read this before my edit. Grin

And don't try "+bitcoin selfie" in google image. It's clearly not a selfie.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:07:29 AM

Just an indication of the vapid and superficially introspective culture that the Oxford Dictionary takes notice of, they're doubtless a bunch of middle-to-old aged men who feel the need to know what the "buzz" words are in order to sounds "hip" when trying to make small talk in brothels.

Worry when the French dictionary includes it, they have this whole tribunal not unlike a murder trial. "Le weekend" is strictly forbidden, lol.

Vires in numeris
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:47:37 AM

Their definition isn't even very specific. It reads more like a definition of "cryptocurrency" than "bitcoin".

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
lindatess

Activity: 140

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:19:22 AM

Well, Bitcoin isn't really that popular as people think.

Forum statistics:

Users Online:   3211
Most Online:   7150 - April 10, 2013, 06:12:15 PM

Many bitcoin enthusiasts are biased, but the numbers tell another story.

Take a look at the number of people online on btc-e. We aren't even getting anywhere near 1 million users... And... There are many billions of people in the world. Anyway, the bitcoin block system can't cope with 1 million users anyway.

I guess more people know what a selfie is than a bitcoin.

Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:18:19 AM

Well, Bitcoin isn't really that popular as people think.

Forum statistics:

Users Online:   3211
Most Online:   7150 - April 10, 2013, 06:12:15 PM

Many bitcoin enthusiasts are biased, but the numbers tell another story.

Take a look at the number of people online on btc-e. We aren't even getting anywhere near 1 million users... And... There are many billions of people in the world. Anyway, the bitcoin block system can't cope with 1 million users anyway.

I guess more people know what a selfie is than a bitcoin.

Yep, of course. What happens IF 1 million people get wallets and start exchanging btc in the btc economy? Undecided

AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:56:36 AM

You realize Bitcoin is not mainstream yet, right?

We have about a year to go.

I don't think we're doing that bad to be honest. Astronomical growth if I've ever seen it.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 06:26:55 AM

the word "selfie" does pretty accurately describe what's going on culturally though.. everyone wants to be famous, to show pics of what they had for lunch, or any inane musing they have in their mind.. all for the sake of being popular among your friends.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:39:48 AM

You realize Bitcoin is not mainstream yet, right?

We have about a year to go.

I don't think we're doing that bad to be honest. Astronomical growth if I've ever seen it.

Exactly. It will take at least a decade before the majority of internet users get to know about Bitcoins. I strongly believe that as of now, less than 1% of the net users have a fairly good idea about the BTCs.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 08:49:50 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 04:46:51 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

the word "selfie" does pretty accurately describe what's going on culturally though.. everyone wants to be famous, to show pics of what they had for lunch, or any inane musing they have in their mind.. all for the sake of being popular among your friends.

Exactly! Soon, the mantra will be, "I have more bitcoins than you!" To prove they truly do have access to a particular address, they send a bitcent to the one that doubts them. Care to guess what such a transaction could be referred to as? Hint: Bitfie.

SOB! Upon penning that last word, I thought, "Surely not!" And, NOT! But, now: http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=bitfie.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

So, what is a Bitfie? A Bitfie is a minute Bitcoin transaction, usually under a US cent (penny) in BTC, but can be upwards to $.99 USD at the exchange rate at the time of the transaction, thus proving that one truly is a Bitcoiner. If the lowest Bitfie (under a US cent/penny) is sent, one is considered a Shrimpie, whereas one sending the highest allowable Bitfie (within 10% of the max) is considered a Whalie. All those sending a Bitfie in between the two extremes are dubbed a Guppie (no "s").

Taking the above one step further, one sending a $.69 USD Bitfie could be referred to as a Sextie-ninie. I'm sure other words could be coined to coincide with other Bitfie amounts.

To illustrate how powerful the above could be, consider Twitter. How many woman on Twitter, having mega male followers, would love to have a percentage of said base send them a Sextie-ninie--$.69--via Bitcoin if they want to truly show their love?

Great idea, but how do you monetize such a site? Thinking! ... Got it! Register a user name on the site after you send your very first Bitfie, only supplying proof of the/a "block chain" tx and an email address, then the proper title (Shrimpie, Guppie or Whalie) will be automatically (via API) affixed next to your moniker. The higher the status one is, the higher the discount one is entitled to from the growing list of entities that accepts Bitcoin payments, simply because they're a Bitfie'er (perhaps, may need to re-coin that one, but it will suffice for now). The site makes money via either or all of the following: Affiliate programs; Membership fee from the advertisers; Banner ads; Email marketing.

And, to hedge my bit: https://twitter.com/Bitfie

~TMIBTCITW

PS: Thank you, Oxford.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:19:01 PM

Thanks to Oxford, Bitfie was born, and to bring awareness to the future brand (possibly), a giveaway was deviced: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=341886.0.

TMIBTCITW
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:41:19 PM

Exactly! Soon, the mantra will be, "I have more bitcoins than you!" To prove they truly do have access to a particular address, they send a bitcent to the one that doubts them. Care to guess what such a transaction could be referred to as? Hint: Bitfie.

SOB! Upon penning that last word, I thought, "Surely not!" And, NOT! But, now: http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=bitfie.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

So, what is a Bitfie? A Bitfie is a minute Bitcoin transaction, usually under a US cent (penny) in BTC, but can be upwards to $.99 USD at the exchange rate at the time of the transaction, thus proving that one truly is a Bitcoiner. If the lowest Bitfie (under a US cent/penny) is sent, one is considered a Shrimpie, whereas one sending the highest allowable Bitfie (within 10% of the max) is considered a Whalie. All those sending a Bitfie in between the two extremes are dubbed a Guppie (no "s").

Taking the above one step further, one sending a $.69 USD Bitfie could be referred to as a Sextie-ninie. I'm sure other words could be coined to coincide with other Bitfie amounts.

To illustrate how powerful the above could be, consider Twitter. How many woman on Twitter, having mega male followers, would love to have a percentage of said base send them a Sextie-ninie--$.69--via Bitcoin if they want to truly show their love?

Great idea, but how do you monetize such a site? Thinking! ... Got it! Register a user name on the site after you send your very first Bitfie, only supplying proof of the/a "block chain" tx and an email address, then the proper title (Shrimpie, Guppie or Whalie) will be automatically (via API) affixed next to your moniker. The higher the status one is, the higher the discount one is entitled to from the growing list of entities that accepts Bitcoin payments, simply because they're a Bitfie'er (perhaps, may need to re-coin that one, but it will suffice for now). The site makes money via either or all of the following: Affiliate programs; Membership fee from the advertisers; Banner ads; Email marketing.

And, to hedge my bit: https://twitter.com/Bitfie

~TMIBTCITW

PS: Thank you, Oxford.
you dont have to do that, you can just sign a message with the private key of your bitcoin address stating that you are the owner of the address

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 05:45:22 PM

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=bitcoin#q=bitcoin%2C%20selfie&date=6%2F2010%2043m&cmpt=q

haha headline b: hacker currency bitcoin collapses
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 06:18:57 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 06:37:55 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

you dont have to do that, you can just sign a message with the private key of your bitcoin address stating that you are the owner of the address

Thanks for the info, bud, but I opted to entrust the funds in escrow to add cred to the endeavor.

EDIT: Just realized you were in reference to simply naming the Bitcoin wallet address and not about not having to put the funds in escrow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: