Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:32:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, Now, Looky Here! Too Funny For Words!  (Read 900 times)
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:26:54 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25014477

20 November 2013 Last updated at 06:59 ET
E-Sports Entertainment settles Bitcoin botnet allegations

A video games company has agreed to settle a case in which it was accused of hijacking its customers' computers to create Bitcoins.

It had been alleged about 14,000 of its customers' PCs had been used to generate the virtual currency in April.

E-Sports Entertainment has agreed to pay the State of New Jersey $1m (£620,000) to resolve the case.

However, it can avoid handing over $675,000 of that if it does not break the law for 10 years.

New Jersey's acting attorney general said the settlement served as a message that the authorities would protect citizens against anyone who invaded their computer privacy.

"These defendants illegally hijacked thousands of people's personal computers without their knowledge or consent, and in doing so gained the ability to monitor their activities, mine for virtual currency that had real dollar value, and otherwise invade and damage their computers," said John Hoffman in a statement.

E-Sports said that it had fired the employee responsible for the incident and would submit to regular privacy audits by a third party. But it stressed that it had not admitted to breaking the law.

"The settlement that was signed makes explicitly clear that we do not agree, nor do we admit, to any of the State of New Jersey's allegations," it said on its blog.

"The press release issued by the attorney general about our settlement represents a deep misunderstanding of the facts of the case, the nature of our business, and the technology in question."
Bitcoin mining

E-Sports charges gamers a subscription to allow them to play supported games - such as Counter-Strike and League of Legends - against each other safe in the knowledge that it has installed anti-cheat software on their PCs.

New Jersey had alleged the company had generated about $3,500 over a fortnight in April by adding code to its product that created a "botnet" - a network of computers controlled through malware - to generate Bitcoins.

Bitcoins can be created by using a PC's processors to solve complicated mathematical problems in a technique called "mining". This allows Bitcoin transactions to be processed, and acts as an incentive for third parties to provide the necessary computing power.

The matter came to light in May when a user noticed unusually high usage of his PC's graphics processing unit (GPU) at times when he was not using the computer.

E-Sports' co-founder Eric Thunberg initially dismissed the affair as an April Fools joke gone wrong.

However, following a user backlash - he later acknowledged "this is way more shady than I originally thought" and blamed the "unauthorised" use of the Bitcoin mining code on a rogue employee who had acted for "personal gain".

Affected members were subsequently offered a free month's subscription and the company promised to help anyone whose processors might have overheated and been damaged as a result of its software.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:31:26 PM

For being to funny for words you sure have used alot of words.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 08:51:52 PM

Nope, that was the BBC who was all wordy'n stuff!

I think the guy was enormously clever and had he done a better job of embedding his code, he'd be out there counting up those coins.

I almost; almost, mind you, wish that he had gotten away with it!

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
freet0pian

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

I think the guy was enormously clever and had he done a better job of embedding his code, he'd be out there counting up those coins.

Wink

Naah, survival of the fittest. I suspect the clever ones are out there uncaught Wink

░▒▓█ welcome to freet0pia █▓▒░
LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 09:04:11 PM

Wink

Naah, survival of the fittest. I suspect the clever ones are out there uncaught Wink

I'll bet you're right!

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: