Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Armory on Testnet  (Read 2019 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 09:00:00 PM

If you want to run Armory on testnet, you'll have to disable auto-bitcoind and run Bitcoin-Qt or bitcoind in testnet mode manually.  And especially confusing is the fact that Armory and Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind use inconsistent command line arguments.  For instance, you use "-testnet" flag with Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind and "--testnet" flag for Armory (yes, one slash for bitcoin, two slashes for Armory).  To be more explicit:

• Armory.exe --testnet
  • Go to settings, unselect "Let Armory run Bitcoin software in the background"
  • Close Armory
  • bitcoind.exe -testnet
  • Wait for it to synchronize
  • Armory.exe -testnet

Due to some quirks in the path resolution, if you want to use a custom directory for Armory and Bitcoin, the --datadir and --satoshi-datadir arguments are inconsistent.  For instance, if you moved both your bitcoin home dir and your armory home dir to F:\Bitcoin and F:\Armory, respectively, do the following:

Code:
bitcoind.exe -testnet -datadir=F:\Bitcoin
Armory.exe  --testnet --datadir=F:\Armory\testnet3 --satoshi-datadir=F:\Bitcoin

The problem is that Bitcoin-Qt expects the base bitcoin home directory, even for testnet, and will add the "testnet3" for you.  If you specify F:\Bitcoin\testnet3, it will run in F:\Bitcoin\testnet3\testnet3.  But I did not realize this when I setup the code for processing arguments, and Armory requires explicitly specifying the full path. 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:49:49 PM

Website requires javascript to access the downloads section. That's a downer.

No .tar.gz for online systems? I'd rather have everything concerning armory under /home/armory than install a system-wide .deb.

Is the 0.89.99.14-testing .deb package signed?

Code:
$ dpkg-sig --verify armory_0.89.99.14-testing_amd64.deb 
Processing armory_0.89.99.14-testing_amd64.deb...
$ _

Oh, well I tried but my lucid is too ancient unfortunately:

Code:
armory depends on libc6 (>= 2.14); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.11.1-0ubuntu7.13.

Pity!

(Edit: well I guess I could try to compile it)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 10:19:29 PM

First of all, this is the thread about running Armory on testnet!   I think you posted to the wrong thready by accident!  Move your reply and to the RAM-reduction thread and I'll move mine!

Website requires javascript to access the downloads section. That's a downer.

No .tar.gz for online systems? I'd rather have everything concerning armory under /home/armory than install a system-wide .deb.

Is the 0.89.99.14-testing .deb package signed?

Code:
$ dpkg-sig --verify armory_0.89.99.14-testing_amd64.deb 
Processing armory_0.89.99.14-testing_amd64.deb...
$ _

Oh, well I tried but my lucid is too ancient unfortunately:

Code:
armory depends on libc6 (>= 2.14); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.11.1-0ubuntu7.13.

Pity!

(Edit: well I guess I could try to compile it)

So I don't usually go through the effort of signing the testing versions, but since they are posted on the website I will go through the effort.  I definitely should've done that (but I've been rather busy recently and it slipped my mind)...

Though, the tar.gz package is a good idea.  I hadn't thought of distributing one of those.  Also, compiling on Linux is pretty darned simple.  It's five lines at the terminal to install all dependencies and build (though I haven't tried it on 10.04 in a while, but I never had a problem with it).

I'll get some signatures on those things right away.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:39:02 PM

First of all, this is the thread about running Armory on testnet!   I think you posted to the wrong thready by accident!  Move your reply and to the RAM-reduction thread and I'll move mine!

No, it's correct. I've wanted to try this piece of software for a long time and testnet is ideal because I can just copy the 500 Mb testnet3 directory from elsewhere to ~armory/.bitcoin and play with it. Doing this with mainnet is, well, somewhat heavier Smiley.

Compiles fine (and quick!) on lucid, however fails to find my bitcoind binary. Not an issue on testnet, though, so I won't delve further into that.

Tomorrow I'll play with it. Thank you!
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 11:43:42 PM

Just posted signed installers, and hashes files.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299684.msg3657358#msg3657358

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: