Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:07:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to do cold storage on an ubuntu dual boot desktokp w/ windows 7 is that ok?  (Read 1235 times)
orangeman1979 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:07:15 PM

I want to dual boot my desktop for Windows 7 and Ubuntu (using Ubuntu as an offline cold storage device and using Armory as my cold storage wallet program), is this a good idea? I'd deactivate wifi on Ubuntu (or even remove the wifi usb stick). And if so, should i use the long term support version of ubuntu and just load armory on a usb stick to install, will that work?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:09:54 PM

your wallet.dat file will still be on your hard drive (the one that loads windows 7), so it won't be completely safe as in your hard drive that has your .dat file is still connected when you're online (with windows 7). i think it's a bad idea... just load ubuntu on another hard drive.
orangeman1979 (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 09:15:32 PM

your wallet.dat file will still be on your hard drive (the one that loads windows 7), so it won't be completely safe as in your hard drive that has your .dat file is still connected when you're online (with windows 7). i think it's a bad idea... just load ubuntu on another hard drive.

Ok thanks
Vene

Activity: 133
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:22:04 PM

Hmm, I think his way is fine, I created new partition and and installed Ubuntu (dual boot with Win 7), installed armory on ubuntu.
Since ubuntu created ext4 partition Windows wont be able to read it, .dat file is on ext4 partition. I suppose it is fairly secure.
When I want to make transaction I just log on Ubuntu and make offline signature. Since all network connections in ubuntu are terminated.
Thoughts?
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 02:00:03 PM

Hmm, I think his way is fine, I created new partition and and installed Ubuntu (dual boot with Win 7), installed armory on ubuntu.
Since ubuntu created ext4 partition Windows wont be able to read it, .dat file is on ext4 partition. I suppose it is fairly secure.
When I want to make transaction I just log on Ubuntu and make offline signature. Since all network connections in ubuntu are terminated.
Thoughts?

I think so too but I am not an expert on this so I am not going to suggest this to OP. When it comes to keeping your BTC safe, it's best to keep them completely off-line. Although I do think that it would be not easy for a malware or a virus to get to the wallet.dat file stored on the Ubuntu partition.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:01:29 PM

I want to dual boot my desktop for Windows 7 and Ubuntu (using Ubuntu as an offline cold storage device and using Armory as my cold storage wallet program), is this a good idea? I'd deactivate wifi on Ubuntu (or even remove the wifi usb stick). And if so, should i use the long term support version of ubuntu and just load armory on a usb stick to install, will that work?

For creating a cold storage, I would suggest you use a live Ubuntu CD.

Because when you have generated the cold wallet and copieed it over to a USB drive, you can just reboot the PC and remove the live disk and it is as good as formatting.
You don't want to keep any associated data to be on your operating system once you have created the cold wallet.
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:46:11 PM

Because when you have generated the cold wallet and copieed it over to a USB drive, you can just reboot the PC and remove the live disk and it is as good as formatting.
You don't want to keep any associated data to be on your operating system once you have created the cold wallet.

The wallet.dat file is still there and may be able to recovered. Its still a bad plan.

If the OP really wants to use the same PC, better to get a spare HDD and swap it with your normal one.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:50:01 PM

The wallet.dat file is still there and may be able to recovered. Its still a bad plan.

If the OP really wants to use the same PC, better to get a spare HDD and swap it with your normal one.

I didn't understand the "wallet.dat file is still there" part.
When you use a live Ubuntu CD and then reboot, how is the wallet file still there? It is where? (Apart from teh USB drive on which you copied the file)
Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:52:16 PM

I used an old computer that I just keep offline now. It would be nice if it was an old laptop, even easier. A machine that never goes online is probably the safest bet. But what you are doing is probably good if you don't have a lot of coins.
TinEye

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 08:15:32 PM

Where did you first generate it? Where are you copying it everytime you try to use it?

Even if you delete, the file is easily recoverable from the HDD.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:53:09 PM

Get a USB stick of 32 or 64 gigs with a live version of Tails on it, encrypted. Download the whole blockchain manually.
That's about the only way you can be sure that your coins are safe. DON'T FORGET to have a paper wallet, USB sticks can randomly fail...!!!!

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:46:14 PM

Get a USB stick of 32 or 64 gigs with a live version of Tails on it, encrypted. Download the whole blockchain manually.
That's about the only way you can be sure that your coins are safe. DON'T FORGET to have a paper wallet, USB sticks can randomly fail...!!!!

The better option of this would be to just use the electrum on tails and remember the seed or allow it to be apart of the encrypted permanant drive on tails. Especially since electrum is already setup to sign offline transactions. Then make paper backups of the seed.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
jlga

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 01:47:20 AM

Well now that i have read it all the comments i can comment for help you, i have years working with GNU/Linux OS
And i can afirm you that is completly safe only if at the moment of the Ubuntu installation, you select the option to cipher your home folder(is asked below your nickname and password)
What this do? every time when you go into ubuntu, your home folder will be mounted in a "separated" partition and decrypted for your login password.

And this is safe because the only way to read the file and data inyour home folder from other laptop or pc(if the hdd is thief) is input your passphrase that will it asked when ubuntu has started for first time.

about this:

Thoughts?
There are tools to make windows read partitions (Ext2explorer, Ext2Fsd)

sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 04:52:37 AM

Where did you first generate it? Where are you copying it everytime you try to use it?

I have an old PC that's running on Windows XP.

--> I created a live Ubuntu CD
--> Booted computer from live Ubuntu CD
--> Installed MultiBit's linux version
--> Created a wallet with some addresses
--> Copied the wallet file to an external USB flash drive
--> Shut down the computer, removed the live Ubuntu CD
--> Booted the computer in Windows

Does this leave my wallet file anywhere on my HDD when I run it on Windows?
I copied the
TinEye

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:30:30 AM

I copied the

It creates that file. Once you have copied and deleted the data is still on the HDD and may be recoverable. jlga's option is safer but it is still brute forceable.

It is easiest to get an old PC and make it a cold storage one, or buy a small HDD and swap it with the regular one.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:40:02 AM

I copied the

It creates that file. Once you have copied and deleted the data is still on the HDD and may be recoverable. jlga's option is safer but it is still brute forceable.

It is easiest to get an old PC and make it a cold storage one, or buy a small HDD and swap it with the regular one.

I have my fair share of doubt about this.

Even the Bitcoin Wiki recommends this method for creating a cold storage:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_secure_offline_savings_wallet

I have followed the same method step-by-step and I'm fairly certain this does not make the wallet file recoverable after the computer is shut down.

But I'd like to have opinions from other experienced users who might have better understanding of the whole process.
Vene

Activity: 133
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 09:40:17 PM

Well now that i have read it all the comments i can comment for help you, i have years working with GNU/Linux OS
And i can afirm you that is completly safe only if at the moment of the Ubuntu installation, you select the option to cipher your home folder(is asked below your nickname and password)
What this do? every time when you go into ubuntu, your home folder will be mounted in a "separated" partition and decrypted for your login password.

And this is safe because the only way to read the file and data inyour home folder from other laptop or pc(if the hdd is thief) is input your passphrase that will it asked when ubuntu has started for first time.

about this:

Thoughts?
There are tools to make windows read partitions (Ext2explorer, Ext2Fsd)

I understand, I have to encrypt it during install. I will do so. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: