Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:35:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speculation of Hardware Prices.  (Read 777 times)
TheWoodser (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 11:16:06 PM

I am sorry if this is in the wrong location, I checked the "Speculation" forum first and is was labeled "Speculation on Bitcoin Price."  This question is more hardware price speculation.

I am new to bitcoin, but I have been sitting on the sidelines for months watching things and I just recently bought some mining hardware.  Some of my very "techie" friends have told me that I am a fool for getting into mining.  Mainly because of the increasing difficulty and the cost of electricity to run the hardware.  But, since I currently live at a location that electricity is almost free I pulled the trigger on some hardware.  With this being said, I have been watching the hardware prices in a few locations over the last three weeks. 

Three weeks ago, USB Block Erupters were selling for about $10.  At the same time a 10Gh ASIC Blade was running about $200.  Then the BTC price spiked to $900, immediately I saw that hardware prices shot up. (Basic Econ101, Supply and Demand)   Today the USB Erupters are near $20-$25 each and the Blades are around $300

Here is the question, Now that BTC has made a correction on the back side of the $900 spike.  How soon should I expect softening in the Hardware market?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
7queue

Activity: 177

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:29:42 AM

Who ever is selling the hardware you mentioned doesn't comprehend bitcoin and is just opportunistic.

8 )

8 )
Xyver

Activity: 281

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:46:05 AM

Who ever is selling the hardware you mentioned doesn't comprehend bitcoin and is just opportunistic.

8 )

Except that's how you have to price hardware.  You judge hardware by how much BTC it costs, and how much BTC it can produce.  The price in fiat is irrelevent, if BTC spikes, hardware spikes.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 02:59:28 AM

8 )

Or smart gamblers... Probably with right timing they get decent ROI and can use that to reinvest in coins...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
7queue

Activity: 177

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:10:47 AM

The FRN(USD) goes down the BTC goes up, simple. So miners denominated in FRN goes up.

I have many curiosities about how this protocol will play out in the long run, that and it's a fun hobby.

8 )

8 )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: