Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:47:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: thanks dave @ walletrecoveryservices  (Read 1726 times)
eof (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:24:42 AM

I'm a programmer; I got into bitcoin in early 2011; and was smart enough to keep a sizeable stash (several hundred btc). When bitcoin started really going through the roof I spent a bunch of time 'protecting' that wallet with a long passphrase; and though I opened it several times, I waited like 4 months to get into it and when I tried, I couldn't get in. I tried and tried and tried.
I eventually wrote a naive cracker that tried about 5 million attempts in little bursts over the next couple months, never successful. I was getting ready to give up when I was referred to dave. I was hopeful but far from optimistic.
Within 72 hours of contacting dave; he had cracked a 50+ character password, with everything you are supposed to have: symbols, numbers, upper and lower case, words and random gibberish. He had the opportunity to steal, if he chose 57 btc from me worth at the time of writing something like ~34k usd. He didn't!

I obviously gave him the info needed; he wasn't acting blind. 

Dave, you fucking rock.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:26:28 AM

what did you pay him?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:26:53 AM

sounds like a decent human being. i think i've heard of this service from multiple people. i wouldn't hesitate to use their services if i had a few BTC that i didn't have access to.
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:27:38 AM

Congrats on your newly re-found bitcoin!

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
eof (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:31:07 AM

what did you pay him?

a hefty, but fair reward
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:34:06 AM

was it up front or contingent on success?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
eof (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:41:08 AM

was it up front or contingent on success?

contingent on success; i didn't pay anything upfront.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:43:36 AM

and how much of the passphrase were you able to give him/how much of what you gave turned out to be correct?

eof (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:56:05 AM

and how much of the passphrase were you able to give him/how much of what you gave turned out to be correct?

i was very, very close.  if i had used in my own cracker the basic notion of checking shift-casing the different chars i would have found it myself eventually.  i gave him a lot of info; but actually  most of it was "wrong" in the sense what i told him it most likely looked like was not what it actually was.

i did provide him everything though, an essay on my thought process as well as the source code to the cracker i wrote; not sure if he used the ruby scripts at all though
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:09:48 AM

Have fun with your refound hundreds of btc! You were very lucky you found them again! Smiley

walletrecoveryservices

Activity: 89
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 05:43:15 PM

I'm a programmer; I got into bitcoin in early 2011; and was smart enough to keep a sizeable stash (several hundred btc). When bitcoin started really going through the roof I spent a bunch of time 'protecting' that wallet with a long passphrase; and though I opened it several times, I waited like 4 months to get into it and when I tried, I couldn't get in. I tried and tried and tried.
I eventually wrote a naive cracker that tried about 5 million attempts in little bursts over the next couple months, never successful. I was getting ready to give up when I was referred to dave. I was hopeful but far from optimistic.
Within 72 hours of contacting dave; he had cracked a 50+ character password, with everything you are supposed to have: symbols, numbers, upper and lower case, words and random gibberish. He had the opportunity to steal, if he chose 57 btc from me worth at the time of writing something like ~34k usd. He didn't!

I obviously gave him the info needed; he wasn't acting blind. 

Dave, you fucking rock.

I am very happy to have been able to help you!
Thanks for the nice write-up. I've mentioned you to Stephanie Murphy (from the show Lets Talk Bitcoin), who may be doing a segment about walletrecoveryservices.com shortly. Perhaps you will get a mention too?
Regarding your ruby scripts - no, I didn't use them, except for some reference info.

Cheers
Dave

Providing Cryptocurrency Wallet, Password and Seed Recovery Services since 2013
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 07:06:39 AM

Have fun with your refound hundreds of btc! You were very lucky you found them again! Smiley

Try reading before posting garbage. He only had 72 BTC in there.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:07:31 AM

"only"  lol

eof (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:40:28 PM

Regarding your ruby scripts - no, I didn't use them, except for some reference info.

Cheers
Dave

I figured you would not have run them, but just looked in them for some notion of how I thought the password might have looked
eof (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:41:41 PM

you're the one posting garbage buddy.. no one said anything about 72 btc, ever.  dave unlocked my whole wallet; which indeed had several hundred btc in it.  i had just sent him a single addy with unspent coins; so he never had access to the whole thing.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:52:20 PM

congrats on recovering your BTC Smiley
troy112

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:01:31 PM

Wow!! Man lucky for you.. Dave great work... You'll be in very demand now...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: