Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:16:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the 600 GH/S card worth the price?  (Read 2652 times)
kalelpi314 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 03:36:41 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and want to ask you the "experts" whether this makes sense.  I've been browsing butterflylabs lately and noticed they have an order process to get a 600 GH/sec for $4700.  Cost aside, the catch seems to be that it will take until at least January to get the card.  I've played around with various calculators with reasonable assumptions for inputs:

Example:
instead of 600 GH/sec, I took the lower end of the +/-20% range the card specs show
I anticipated at least 5 difficulty level increases between now and then due to that fact that they seem to be going up every 10-14 days currently
I assumed perhaps $400 US for a bitcoin which is lower than today's price. 
I factored in the 350 W at high power rates 0.18 I believe

Even with all of those assumptions, the payback seems to be about a month. After that, it seems it could be a cash cow.

I don't really know whether I'd want to mine alone or in a pool as I have never done this before.  Here are a few questions I have for you guys:

-Do the mining pools take into account your contribution to the pool?  I don't want to be the one guy with the 600 GH/S card getting a fraction of the bitcoin if the 25 coins are split equally and not proportional to hash rate contribution by the individual
-Do any of you see an error in my logic for price assumption?
- Why does this pipedream seem too good to be true?  Yes, a lot of people might not want to put in 5k to get the card, but if it makes 3-4k a month, who cares?? 
-If I had a card like this, wouldn't I want to be a solo miner to capitalize on such a high tech hardware?
-Is butterfly labs a trustable company?

Is it unrealistic to think that these 600 GH/s cards will be able to find lots of coins a month and pay for itself relatively quickly and then generate income moving forward?  Or, will the overall hash rate go up so fast with everyone buying these and then the difficulty and rate of completing blocks be harder to achieve and thus I will just waste money. 

It almost seems too good to be true which is why I am hesitant. 

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to your insight. 
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 04:26:03 AM

I made this mistake with BFL when I got started.  If you order your card from BFL just assume you won't get it till May and you'll prob actually get it closer to July.  Stay away from BFL!!!

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
jfrenchy

Activity: 39

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:54:30 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and want to ask you the "experts" whether this makes sense.  I've been browsing butterflylabs lately and noticed they have an order process to get a 600 GH/sec for $4700.  Cost aside, the catch seems to be that it will take until at least January to get the card.  I've played around with various calculators with reasonable assumptions for inputs:

Example:
instead of 600 GH/sec, I took the lower end of the +/-20% range the card specs show
I anticipated at least 5 difficulty level increases between now and then due to that fact that they seem to be going up every 10-14 days currently
I assumed perhaps $400 US for a bitcoin which is lower than today's price. 
I factored in the 350 W at high power rates 0.18 I believe

Even with all of those assumptions, the payback seems to be about a month. After that, it seems it could be a cash cow.

I don't really know whether I'd want to mine alone or in a pool as I have never done this before.  Here are a few questions I have for you guys:

-Do the mining pools take into account your contribution to the pool?  I don't want to be the one guy with the 600 GH/S card getting a fraction of the bitcoin if the 25 coins are split equally and not proportional to hash rate contribution by the individual
-Do any of you see an error in my logic for price assumption?
- Why does this pipedream seem too good to be true?  Yes, a lot of people might not want to put in 5k to get the card, but if it makes 3-4k a month, who cares?? 
-If I had a card like this, wouldn't I want to be a solo miner to capitalize on such a high tech hardware?
-Is butterfly labs a trustable company?

Is it unrealistic to think that these 600 GH/s cards will be able to find lots of coins a month and pay for itself relatively quickly and then generate income moving forward?  Or, will the overall hash rate go up so fast with everyone buying these and then the difficulty and rate of completing blocks be harder to achieve and thus I will just waste money. 

It almost seems too good to be true which is why I am hesitant. 

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to your insight. 

first off i think you should do more research on hardware. for example look up cointerra. they are promising much better hardware for the same price range (and there's others too for sure if you look/dig enough)

mining pools have different ways on how they distribute rewards... a good place to start: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0 and then research the terms and so on from there

the error i think in your logic is a very low difficulty increase. 'best to plan for the worst and expect the least'

'if it's too good to be true then...' take that as you will Tongue

solo mining: you should do more research on solo mining vs pool mining to understand what all of that involves. i think the short version is, solo mining is playing lotto, pool mining is steady pay

if you had a card like that and knew those rewards were coming, of course... and so would hundreds of others

there's a lot of opinions on butterfly labs. i have none, but if you dig around enough you might get enough to push you one way or the other

ps: i don't mine but i've been in your speculative position. best i can say... got disposable cash for a -HIGH RISK- investment? yes? then go for it
AuroraHF

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:59:48 AM

Problem is Butterfly Labs send their products out really late, so by the time you get it, the difficulty of mining would have increased and you might not get an ROI.

lmao
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:10:38 AM

BFL was up to 11 months late on delivering hardware.  Many customers who thought they would make a fortune ended up making a tiny fraction.  Rerun your numbers and assume you get the card in June.  Now run them again and assume you get the card in Jan 2015.   That is the risk you are looking at.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:27:04 AM

Spend the money on bitcoins instead. I got involved in mining earlier this year and lived to regret it. Ugh. Never again.

Edit: my signature is for a raffle, so don't take it at face value. Be careful with this pre-order business.
arrizona23

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:23:43 AM

definetly it worth ......
realitycheck

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:00:51 AM

I bought a BFL 60Ghs unit off ebay, ran it for two weeks - realised my mistake and sold it again quickly.

The problem is that the profitablity lasts for a very short period and if you get late delivery, you have missed it and left with a block that generates not much but a lot of hot air.

I now use CEX.io which gets me out of this problem, if that helps.

CEX.IO  - Get yourself into bitcoin mining -no min starting point to figure out how it works while you mine.
funktrust

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:59:38 AM

Worth it for sure, if you buy 6x and chuck it into the new ASRock mobo, there goes the 2th/s Teraminer.
MargaretsDream

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:11:40 AM

When these will be on stock and sending next business day, I reconsider if it is worth. I suggest you do the same, BFL preorder delays are well known here
thepvpremade

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:30:25 AM

Difficulty level rises very fast, especially the last few weeks, that means your Gh,z are worth less bit coins very quickly.
If u want a decent payout I advice to not mine, but speculate on the currency exchange Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: