Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:21:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North and South Korea War Ended. How it will affect bitcoin?  (Read 212 times)
theyoungmillionaire (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 1021

Just in case no one loves you, I love you 3000.

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 04:28:21 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 05:59:54 PM by theyoungmillionaire

Another historical event happened this year 2018. North and South Korea ended its 65 years Korean War. I am curious on how it will affect bitcoin. I read that South Korea accused North Korea for hacking their exchanges from 2013 to 2015. See below filtered important details:

North and South Korea vow to end the Korean War in historic accord:

The leaders of North and South Korea have committed themselves to the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and pledged to bring a formal end to the Korean War, 65 years after hostilities ceased.

Then, the two leaders left their officials behind and struck out side by side through the DMZ to a footbridge that was recently repainted the same blue used on the Korean Unification Flag. Unexpectedly, they talked for 30 minutes, without anyone taking notes and with cameras at a distance. The contents of the conversation have not been disclosed.

"Seeing Kim Jong Un live, chatting easily with their president, will no doubt have been jolt to South Koreans and remind them that the North Koreans are the same people in many ways, in language and shared history if not their political or economic structure."

Near the DMZ Thursday, 51 people from the Korean War Veterans Revisit Korea Program had gathered to remember their relatives lost in that conflict and support peace and reunification.

"My father Karle Seydel was killed December 7, 1950 in the Chosun reservoir," Ruth Hebert, who was from San Diego in California, told CNN. His body is believed to be still somewhere inside North Korea.

Hebert said she had spoken with South Koreans who had lost family members in the war and been separated from relatives by the partitioning of the Peninsula.

"We hope and pray that ... this starts to really change," she added. "There's a hope with Japan, with Korea, with the Americans to recover remains. There may be a few (prisoners of war) alive but mostly now it's down to remains."

A formal end to the war will involve more than just the Koreas. Both China and the US, under the flag of the United Nations, were massively involved in the conflict, and would have to be signatories to an eventual peace treaty.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/27/asia/korean-summit-intl/index.html

North Korea Accused of Hacking South Korean Exchanges:

North Korea, a nation that has previously been accused of mining bitcoin in order to flout sanctions, is suspected to have hacked a number of bitcoin exchanges in South Korea. The country allegedly stole “100 million won ($88,100) in bitcoin from 2013 to 2015 as part of its efforts to increase the country’s hard currency,” according to reports.

A Silicon Angle article quoted the police as stating that “the hackers sent 10 emails to 25 workers each at four different bitcoin exchanges, disguising themselves as officials from South Korean public institutions such as the police, prosecution, Seoul city government or Financial Security Institute.”

The police stated that the attack methodology was a “spear phishing” attack. North Korean hackers pretended to be government authorities and servicemen. A story published by Silicon Angle states that the hackers targeted exchange workers by sending them emails loaded with malware.

One intelligence firm, Record Future, has published Google-backed data providing analysis of North Korean internet activity. The data suggests that North Korea began conducting bitcoin mining on May 17. If this is true, and North Korea has also conducted hacking attacks on exchanges, it could mean North Korea is attempting to weaponize bitcoin.

Source: https://news.bitcoin.com/north-korean-hackers-accused-of-hacking-south-korean-exchanges/

Now that the conflict in Korean Peninsula has ended. What will be the future of bitcoin in the Peninsula? Will the Korean Peninsula hold the highest rank in the Cryptoworld?  What are your thoughts? Peace.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 06:02:29 PM

They would need a lot of processing power and a very high internet speed to hijack Bitcoin if they had have gone through that. They could DDoS the Bitcoin Network, but equally, their signals could get blocked without them knowing it (they're not exactly people who contact the world other than with media broadcasts so changing our own broadcasts to the way we want them to be recieved might not do too much damage).

Also, China or whoever connects them to the internet might just disconnect them if they cause an extreme hack on the network that affects their browsing/internet usage.

Since North Korea have stopped their ideas for these attacks (which might be untrue anyway) there may be more South Korea exchanges that function with more resilliance than they once did, although I don't think this will affect very much (if you couldn't use a South Korean exchange, why not use an EU/US one instead)?
Sanjeewa101

Activity: 280
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 04:47:52 PM

Anyway It is good for continent peace, That's the main benefit for cryptocurrency market Grin Grin
Monyero

Activity: 104

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 01:59:47 AM

The end of the war in north korea and south korea, is certainly very encouraging. Because the two countries are very good for the world peace is also very helpful growth cryptocurrency.karena crypto market growth is much influenced by peace.karena if war happened economic fall, which will directly affect the investment value in cryptocurrency.
Mc_Moneysack

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 08:01:24 AM

I don’t really see how this could affect BTC but it is indeed very good news for the international community.
JungleBadman

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 10:48:27 AM

If the north Koreans follow the south in the adoption of crypto it could be big for the entire community and lead the way to north Korean independence from state. Although for that reason, I doubt Kim jong un will look kindly upon adoption or that the average north Korean has a lot of disposable income to spend so chance are that its unlikely
roll on

Activity: 175
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 03:39:54 PM

It's not related to Bitcoin/cryptocurrency because it's a matter of peace/agreement where in it focuses more on political not for the business wherein Bitcoin could probably be included. Also, this historic event will heal the wounds of the past and a start of a new life so Koreans can live freely without any threat just like what other country has.
ladner

Activity: 121
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 03:49:31 AM

I am from Vietnam. My country were in the same condition as them. I can understand the pain of breaking up their war so  I really feel happy for them. I think Bitcoin has more different news to be able to increase.
HardFireMiner

Activity: 872
Merit: 120

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 12:34:03 PM

It is an important piece towards Korean Peninsula's piece. However, months ago North Korea was aiming with it's ballistic missiles(from russians) in U.S. waters.

I think it is more a global political step to get the attention from Middle East where the conflict escalated really fast.
PSL

Activity: 166
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 08:00:21 PM

This is not an easy question. A lot depends on what strategy will be chosen in North Korea in relation to cryptocurrencies. If they decide to engage in mining, I think the market is not affected. If they actively speculate with cryptocurrencies or even create a joint exchange with South Korea, then there may be different options.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: