Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:39:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your opinion about journalists talking about Bitcoin but are not Hodlers?  (Read 174 times)
Adeyemi (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 06:45:05 PM

We can't rule out the role of journalists in the cryptocurrency markets. They are in one way or the other responsible for some of the FUD and FOMO which affects Bitcoin and altcoins. However, it is quite shocking to know that most of these journalists are forbidden by their employers to HODL any cryptocurrency. 

I found this on the Twitter page of @CZ_Binance today:

I learned most journalists are forbidden by their employers to hodl any crypto. Should they be forbidden to own fiat if they write about trade-wars?  So now, we have journalists who have never done a single blockchain transaction writing/"teaching the public" about blockchain.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/989818863138336768

Do you think these set of journalists have the rights to talk about Bitcoin giving the public the wrong perception of what Bitcoin is and is not? Or is it possible to truly understand cryptocurrency without being part of the cryptosphere?
Doge dealer

Activity: 462
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:09:42 PM

Journalist are supposed to present a true picture based only on the facts of the product , so it should not matter whether they are holders or not. This however does not happen in the real world and stories are written to create a buzz and to sell papers or magazines. so the truth about this sad situation is that whether they are holders or not they are writing the stories from the angles presented to them by their editors and this angle  will always be geared towards selling the paper or magazine.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 07:14:13 PM

I'm not surprised. Most of the news publishers are  mouthpieces of the Deep State these days, so of course they would want to destabilise any crypto that hasn't been created by the banks.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:21:48 PM

Journalist speak words scripted, they study what they'll going to say and just memorize it but most of the time they don't really know it, I was able to watch the Ellen show, Ellen was trying to explain bitcoins blockchain technology, she was having a difficulty to understand what really is "crypto" but she seems to be praising it since individuals can earn money to it. However, that show was promoting crypto unlike any other journalist who just keep on talking without even knowingf it.

Philippine journalists are fond of it, saying bitcoin is a scam but in reality, bitcoin is just a tool to deceive unwise people not the bitcoin itself is scam.

If a journalist speak but not HODLING then its a waste of time to listen/believe.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:22:40 PM

Journalists have the right to report on anything.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:26:41 PM

Journalists have cried wolf so many times now that they're now totally uninteresting to anyone already involved, and for anyone thinking of it it's going to push them into thinking for themselves which is not what many a journalist, or rather their employers, set out to do.

I'd like to see the source of that comment about forbidding the ownership of crypto though. They're not lawyers who have specific rules to follow. Who's anyone to tell a journo what to do with their own money in their own time?
mrtryonebiggums

Activity: 322
Merit: 111

Revolutionized Rotating Savings & Borrowings

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:12:29 PM

It is a sad when you have people discussing things they are generally not knowledgeable about, but at the same time they remain most objective as they have no skin in the game. You may get some bad logic but overall it won't be biased one way or another. They simple report what they see, and you can't fault them for that.

butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:13:46 PM

I learned most journalists are forbidden by their employers to hodl any crypto. Should they be forbidden to own fiat if they write about trade-wars?  So now, we have journalists who have never done a single blockchain transaction writing/"teaching the public" about blockchain.

How can anyone enforce this? They can buy cryptocurrencies anonymously. They can decide to hodl them anyways, without anyone knowing. All they need is some basic knowledge about privacy. They should already know how to go under the radar if they are capable of researching the subject they are covering well, and that's it.
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 08:25:34 PM

Journalists have the right to report on anything.
Basically this.
As long as they report the truth, as long as they stay objective and retain themselves from personal opinions, we are facing real, proper journalism.
Above standards for many years where the core-bone for every reporter. Like a simple news-bushido Smiley
What is going on with today journalism, anyone can judge for themself. Eighty percent of everyday news, do not keep the standards I mentioned above. Even bigger percentage of people do not require those simple rules from their informers. Who needs thinking, so old fashioned, overrated...
i need my favourite journalist to think for me!
Hey, you! Reporter, correspondent, newsman STOP with your opinions, give us the facts! #givefacts <- now that's a hashtag worth spreading.

carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:27:00 PM

Journalist are basically doing their job which involves both FUD and FOMO. Some of them might not be investing on bitcoin just because they don't understand it. Reporting it is different from understanding it.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:27:32 PM

It doesn't matter if they hold or not, this doesn't stop them from giving out their opinions or even at some times they give opinions of people who told them what to say etc. At least whatever they say they are marketing bitcoin and crypto in one way. They surely can create FOMO, which was done in December when many media giants talked about it and created FOMO for some people. But you can't blame them for that, if they don't do their job - then somebody else will for sure.
seven2smoke1

Activity: 532
Merit: 132

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:35:57 PM

Journalist are basically doing their job which involves both FUD and FOMO. Some of them might not be investing on bitcoin just because they don't understand it. Reporting it is different from understanding it.
That's right, Journalist are always doing their job to spread the news whether FUD or real about cryptocurrencies. I think the part of them that spreading FUD and fake news about bitcoin are not knowledgable about bitcoin, and for sure they don't understand it, they hear some fake talks and they share it to people, but hopefully there is some people that know exactly what is bitcoin and the potential of this crypto.
nsasuiteb

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

BAILOUT

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:39:47 PM

It doesn't matter if they hold or not, this doesn't stop them from giving out their opinions or even at some times they give opinions of people who told them what to say etc. At least whatever they say they are marketing bitcoin and crypto in one way. They surely can create FOMO, which was done in December when many media giants talked about it and created FOMO for some people. But you can't blame them for that, if they don't do their job - then somebody else will for sure.

I agree with you, and even those people are allowed to do whatever they wish with crypto, they will probably not hodl because actually hodling requires more experience than trading needs. We just need independent minded journalists.

Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1219

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:43:58 PM

We can't rule out the role of journalists in the cryptocurrency markets. They are in one way or the other responsible for some of the FUD and FOMO which affects Bitcoin and altcoins. However, it is quite shocking to know that most of these journalists are forbidden by their employers to HODL any cryptocurrency. 
I don't know why any employer would want to restrict their staff from participating in any business of their choice. It is totally wrong and for me that is modern slavery. And it bests me halo why anyone would even allow themselves to be treated in that way all in the name of a job. Anyway, that is by the way. On the othet hand, FUD or FOMO is part of news reporting. And this day, everyone who owns a mobile device and Internet and can write is a a termed journalist. Social media has made this possible.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Al-e_x

Activity: 560
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:49:54 PM

I think they are just looking for money, and journalists often cover up the news about bitcoin excess, and they spread fake news. as happened a few days ago, a journalist made a fake news about crypto. and negatively impact to the bitcoin value.

in my opinion, a bad choice if someone chooses to be a journalist who has the task of destroying the crypto world.
Ceasar19

Activity: 142
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:09:04 PM

The journaliste  have the Right to express his opinion about bitcoin whatever he is holder or not

butt786

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:12:30 PM

Very interesting, I don’t know from a journalist perspective but from a blogger perspective to follow FTC.gov guidelines all sponsored posts where compensation was received to write about anything gets disclosed, however having holdings in a company stock outside of payment for the article specifically doesn’t fall under those guidelines.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 10:16:58 PM

I learned most journalists are forbidden by their employers to hodl any crypto. Should they be forbidden to own fiat if they write about trade-wars?  So now, we have journalists who have never done a single blockchain transaction writing/"teaching the public" about blockchain.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/989818863138336768

Do you think these set of journalists have the rights to talk about Bitcoin giving the public the wrong perception of what Bitcoin is and is not? Or is it possible to truly understand cryptocurrency without being part of the cryptosphere?

journalists talk about all kinds of things that they are not invovled to, they are supposed to report according to their funders will.

they often report on stocks they dont hold, so why cant they approve/disapprove of bitcoin?

regards

eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:44:48 PM

Anyone has the freedom to talk about bitcoin or express their concern about the market, you do not necessarily be holding bitcoin to report something about it, likewise you have the freedom to take their opinion or reject them, i have seen some of the articles from journalist who does not have a clue about bitcoin talking about it and the main point they propagate is that bitcoin is used mainly for illegal purposes. Cheesy
Recently i read an article from the monetary authority of Singapore published in March 2018 which says about the higher transaction fees and the transaction delays of bitcoin which is laughable because we know that it is not true and the transaction charges have come down well before the article is published.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 11:04:01 PM

I don't see why some people using bitcoin think that talking or writing anything about bitcoin is exclusively for bitcoin users only and that way of thinking is really awful to say the least. They are journalists for a reason; they don't need to belong to a certain group or use something that's in the trend to speak about it or give opinions about it. Anyone can scour the internet for literally almost everything right now and publish a well-made article without being bias nowadays, so what does that twitter handle think about these journalists? It's true that there are some scumbag journalists publishing fake news for the views but still acting as if bitcoiners are the only ones who can talk about bitcoin is really not a good way to advertise your service/bitcoin in general.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: