Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:02:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesson learned.  (Read 2501 times)
kiwiasian (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:00:04 AM

Always have a little bit of money in Dwolla. Especially during a sell panic like this one and coins are running cheap.

Uh, my deposit is expected to clear in 6 days. Woohoo.

My last one took 2 days, meh.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:02:47 AM

Always have a little bit of money in Dwolla. Especially during a sell panic like this one and coins are running cheap.

I think they are going to start taking longer so that deposits can be verified properly. That's great if you ask me, and it shows that they are taking this whole tradehill incident very seriously.
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:26:21 AM

That's good I suppose. We will just always have to have some money in our accounts just in case so we don't need to end up waiting this long.

How long does PayPal's transfer take?

Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:52:51 AM

Don't worry, in 6 days you will be able to buy cheaper than today. We always break into new lows, then it will rise a couple dollars higher, only to break into even newer lows. So by the time your Dwolla account is funded you will probably be buying lower than $8.00

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:54:25 AM

Don't worry, in 6 days you will be able to buy cheaper than today. We always break into new lows, then it will rise a couple dollars higher, only to break into even newer lows. So by the time your Dwolla account is funded you will probably be buying lower than $8.00

Doubt it. I just sold it all at $9.99, so therefor it can only go up from here.  That's just how things work  Tongue

Mousepotato
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:17:55 AM

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:21:34 AM

Really? Not going to happen… People will not sell at a loss, and I think you are milking the cow a bit too much Smiley. Today was an excellent day to buy; and if you didn't buy at the single digits you missed your chance IMHO. Me and hopefully other community leaders will be stepping forward to educate other members with any knowledge that is at our disposal.

People think that mining is just about turning on a computer switch, and printing money out of thin air. I can tell you that this is simply not the case, it takes expertise in various computer related subjects, it takes alot of time, and most importantly it takes lots of money! Most people are breaking even at this point with the current difficulty of 1,890,362, and guess what without incentive if these people quit mining and the network dies, what happens to YOUR Bitcoins?  

This will kill the block chain or weaken it to the point of irrelevancy. A miners’ strike has been brewing for a long time now… We seriously don’t get the respect we deserve for our time and investments. We control the price, not the people who can’t make these coins. Without us there would be no coins to begin with! We set the prices…Remember that guys, and everything will be wonderful & peachy in Bitcoin Land!   Cool
Houdini

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:25:35 AM

Man what a moaner you are, must be PMS...   Tongue
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:36:18 AM

Man what a moaner you are, must be PMS...   Tongue

I sincerely apologize for expressing my views publicy.

o_o?

grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:27:28 AM

We control the price, not the people who can’t make these coins.

You are wrong.  Miners cough up less than 8000 coins a day (7200 is the intent).  Daily volume is anywhere between 4 and 10x that.  So, even if miners sell 100% of their coins or don't sell any of their coins the impact on the market is smaller than investor sentiment.

And even at $10 mining is still profitable.  Profitable enough that even current levels aren't going to be sustained.   Look for higher difficulty AND lower prices in the coming months.
kookiekrak

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:29:19 AM

man im pissed i withdrew my 300 from mtgox. this woulda been perfect to snatch up a ton of cheap bitcoins.

prices will endup around 13-14ish by the end of the week

FREE 100 GME if you post your Cryptsy TradeKey on the official GameCoinTalk forums

http://www.gamecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg9#new
fastandfurious

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:08:37 AM

man im pissed i withdrew my 300 from mtgox. this woulda been perfect to snatch up a ton of cheap bitcoins.

prices will endup around 13-14ish by the end of the week

And if it doesn't? Lets say it will end up at 8 dollars on Sunday.
bitbot

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:05:02 PM

you should just keep money in mtgox. but then the website crashes and your money gets stolen

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:28:28 PM

People will not sell at a loss.
Sure they will, when they realize that the only alternative is selling at a bigger loss later.

Bitcoin was a bubble, like tulips, and it's over.

Bitcoin, last 6 months.

We're in the long, slow slide phase. Remember, Bitcoin generates no revenue. It's a pure speculation. So it can go all the way to 0.

Bitcoin as a currency has failed. There's too much volatility. Even the Silk Road people are fed up. Getting money in and out of Bitcoins is slow and unreliable. None of the exchanges offer a guaranteed settlement time.  The intermediate "exchangers", Dwolla and Liberty Reserve, are all flaky. "Global Standard Bank" pretends to be a bank, but isn't. MyBitcoin.com, which ran an online wallet service, apparently shut down and took all the money. That's no basis for a currency.

It's over. Get out and go do something else.
bitbot

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:38:21 PM

i like how they censored that chart

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
ampirebus

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:39:57 PM

People will not sell at a loss.
Sure they will, when they realize that the only alternative is selling at a bigger loss later.

Bitcoin was a bubble, like tulips, and it's over.

Bitcoin, last 6 months.

We're in the long, slow slide phase. Remember, Bitcoin generates no revenue. It's a pure speculation. So it can go all the way to 0.

Bitcoin as a currency has failed. There's too much volatility. Even the Silk Road people are fed up. Getting money in and out of Bitcoins is slow and unreliable. None of the exchanges offer a guaranteed settlement time.  The intermediate "exchangers", Dwolla and Liberty Reserve, are all flaky. "Global Standard Bank" pretends to be a bank, but isn't. MyBitcoin.com, which ran an online wallet service, apparently shut down and took all the money. That's no basis for a currency.

yeah i might as well buy CDOs, a 401k, a roth IRA, and all of the US dollars i possibly can because nothing bad ever happened to those financial isntruments losing people money...
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:46:54 PM

You should follow your own advice more than anyone else.
indio007

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:01:46 PM

Even making these outrageous assumption the annual return on investment is 20%. If you no where to get a 20% interest rate on a $1000 deposit please tell us.

You naysayers are foolish. This ain't no  zero sum game. You have to compare mining to all other forms of increase. Obviously at $10 per BTC it's still an order of magnitude over a deposit account.

Caffarius

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:06:16 PM

Even making these outrageous assumption the annual return on investment is 20%. If you no where to get a 20% interest rate on a $1000 deposit please tell us.

You naysayers are foolish. This ain't no  zero sum game. You have to compare mining to all other forms of increase. Obviously at $10 per BTC it's still an order of magnitude over a deposit account.

https://docs.google.com/document/pubimage?id=1XR4M0NGko0117a98cEvLMi8lCklAGHPDYyH5Yc9kD98&image_id=1SKdaY2ddwWnMbNCmF4ApNZ9zxeS1HA
As much as I'd love to think the difficulty would stay in this area for the next 12 months, I don't think that's how it works.
indio007

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:42:10 PM

Even with the difficulty increase I can see anyone making less than 5% real world. I used high end assumptions for initial cost and power consumption. The electricity price was more the median price. Even then if the price of BTC drops to $1 you will make .5% YoY. Which is better than a zero-interest checking account.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: