Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:26:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What'll be Your next move in the mining space?  (Read 572 times)
Aexcu (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:25:57 PM

Now that 1) GPUs don't really produce any value (unless you have 1000s, even then the power consumption will hinder your progress), 2) the fabled ASICs are in short supply (or well, promiseware for many who have paid to queue), what other options have you thought of (while dropping any illegal ideas out)?

Cloud mining seems to be the thing many have fallen for, as you can get "what you invested" (in theory) a.k.a. your GH/s back by selling your mining share. Trading GH/s makes certain pools very lucrative-- and a ton of others are copying a successful recipe. Again, a pessimist would say you'll never be able to make any BTCs due to the imminent dropping of GHS price. An optimist would think you'll be able to trade your GHS as interest over interest and the earnings (mining profit) would enable you buy more GHS to grow profits faster. You'd also claim that the influx of new users will fight against the lessening of your ratio vs. mining pool growth (TH/s).

"Hosted mining" seems to be one thing, but with fixed-term pricing it seems less lucrative than just owning shares in a cloud environment.

Another option would be to buy "enthusiast products" such as rigs which aren't exactly the "full deal", but you'll either have no chassis, cooling or <add missing component here> vs. the products that are out-of-stock or only coming to market with a long queue upfront. There you might be able to get something glued together, but at a cost-- a gamble against whether you make enough money to cover the cost of the device before the 500 GH/s to 2.0 TH/s machines start populating the mining space.

What'd you prefer to do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SeanArce

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:44:09 PM

I'm going to get a motherboard with multi slots and a card or 2 to mine the next big alt coin. Kicking myself for missing the bitcoin boat, but a new coin will inevitably be its successor. Hard to determine what that will be. Guess this is a hobby for now

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address
Aexcu (OP)

Activity: 130

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:57:29 PM

That could be a good strategy, I'm personally not into the alternative coins, but I've been looking at Bitcoin for quite a time now. I've been considering buying a smallish setup not exactly to "make money", but give my support to the coin in general.

The problem with this approach is that if the computing speed would double every other year, the rig bought now would inevitably be insufficient for pretty much anything (than consuming electricity) within a year. Maybe that's still worth it to assist in making BTC mainstream.

thebitcoinme

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:59:42 PM

I'm thinking of doing some cloud mining. I'm not sure how physical mining is going to be sustainable.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 09:36:51 PM

[This is NOT a tracking pixel] Lol

I'm going to get a motherboard with multi slots and a card or 2 to mine the next big alt coin. Kicking myself for missing the bitcoin boat, but a new coin will inevitably be its successor.

Yes. It's great to see the outside-the-box thinkers have arrived. Hehe. I look at Bitcoin as the web crawler of the 21st century. The competitive nature of man ensures that other coins will rise to challenge the "all mighty". The "Googles" are laying their foundations now. It's just a matter of separating the skyscrapers from the houses of cards: http://coinmarketcap.com/
roadsterreplica

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:38:51 PM

Cloud mining for sure - except in the windertime.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:42:13 PM

I'm boosting the performance of my Jalapeno at this point. Turns out it's profitable to buy chips and load them on the board. Should be at 30gh by the weekend, at 20 now.

Aside from that I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Mining contracts sound like a losing scam.

C
BuhTuglia

Activity: 137

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 01:56:13 AM

I'm boosting the performance of my Jalapeno at this point. Turns out it's profitable to buy chips and load them on the board. Should be at 30gh by the weekend, at 20 now.

Aside from that I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Mining contracts sound like a losing scam.

C

Really... It's that easy? I've got three of Jalepeno's, I'd try this on one of them... Do the chips have to be soldered, I'm guessing? Surface mount? I guess you have to have space for them, no bad chips already on the board... Do they have to be inserted in multiples? Does any software have to be changed/flashed? Thanks for this idea... any info about doing this would greatly be appreciated, or an url pointing to info...

thanks...
russell

Just another dust miner... Enquiring Gnomes want to Mine!
Send nothing to 16SVa2iQA6HuNPDGYShpmeEvUBRi2gW7f1
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:00:28 AM

Really... It's that easy? I've got three of Jalepeno's, I'd try this on one of them... Do the chips have to be soldered, I'm guessing? Surface mount? I guess you have to have space for them, no bad chips already on the board... Do they have to be inserted in multiples? Does any software have to be changed/flashed? Thanks for this idea... any info about doing this would greatly be appreciated, or an url pointing to info...

Easy is relative, if you can use air tools you can add more chips on them. They're little_single boards, can take 8 but I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND GOING PAST 7.

Anyway, my thread is over here. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336782.0. Worth checking out.

C

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: