Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:13:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New here, looking for advice.  (Read 394 times)
telephonyware (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:33:20 PM

Hello all.

We are an ecommerce site selling voip and PSTN telecommunications gear batting around the idea of accepting Bitcoin or possibly other crypto currencies.  The price fluctuations make it seem rather precarious.  It appears as though Bitpay and Coinbase can accept Bitcoin and immediately convert to USD to limit exposure to a price drop.  I am curious, are there other merchants here that can offer their advice?  I am particularly interested in feedback from those that sell tangible things, those that have a high cost of goods.  How has accepting Bitcoin worked out for you?  Also, would anyone active on this list consider buying gear for telecom installs in Bitcoin?  I was going to experiment with this by selling on Bitmit but that idea was cut short with their closure announcement.

@Telephonyware

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:36:10 PM

I think the bitcoin prices you see in dollars in your Coinbase account changes in real time with the market price so its not permanent if you want to withdraw.
telephonyware (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 10:00:26 PM

Hi.

Gotcha.  My worry is that we take a number of orders during a price crash.  If we sold something for 1 BTC, which at the time of purchase was $700 but drops to $500 by the time it's exchanged to USD, we've lost $200 on the transaction.  Conversely, holding or taking time to exchange in a price rise benefits us.  We would have to be able to switch between immediate conversion into USD to cover costs at least and *maybe* hold BTC on profits to take advantage of a price rise.  If this is possible, it's likely worth it.  Thanks for the reply.
tunctioncloud

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 10:05:55 PM

Hi.

Gotcha.  My worry is that we take a number of orders during a price crash.  If we sold something for 1 BTC, which at the time of purchase was $700 but drops to $500 by the time it's exchanged to USD, we've lost $200 on the transaction.  Conversely, holding or taking time to exchange in a price rise benefits us.  We would have to be able to switch between immediate conversion into USD to cover costs at least and *maybe* hold BTC on profits to take advantage of a price rise.  If this is possible, it's likely worth it.  Thanks for the reply.

Try
https://bitpay.com/

BTC order will be converted to money immediatelly, no possibility to loose because changed exchange rate
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: