Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:57:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin being anonymous is a bad thing.  (Read 934 times)
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:42:55 AM

No, it's not.

Bitcoin being anonymous (no, not untraceable, I stick to the same definitions I have always sticked to) is actually just a property of it.

It appears there are more and more people that say "it's a shame that Bitcoin is X and Y". These people do not appear to realize that strength is in variety. That Bitcoin is not like other currencies (in that it, for example, has methods to track back fraud), does that mean it's bad? No. It means it's different. It's up to you whether you want to use Bitcoin or not. It has its own properties, its own pros and cons. It means you have a choice.

It is completely pointless to aim at everything being the same, and Bitcoin being anonymous is not a 'fault' that has to be solved - it's a main property of the concept. Stop trying to say "Bitcoin is bad because it doesn't provide any anti-fraud measures". It's not. It's different.

It's a bit hard to put my idea into words, but I hope you get what I mean. Bitcoin is what it is. There is no need for it to have the exact same pros as everything else, if it offers different pros that other currencies or methods do not offer. It's freedom. It's a choice. Stop complaining about it.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:15:29 AM

Yeah it's funny. A lot of people complaining either that bitcoin is too anonymous or not anonymous enough...

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:20:26 AM

the problem is people giving their money to some random person they do not know.*cough* mybitcoin *cough*

joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:22:10 AM

To possibly clarify what I mean:

Why would being anonymous be a bad thing for a currency that is supposed to be anonymous? I'd say it meets the specification.

I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:23:32 AM

Then why does your topic say that bitcoins being anonymous is a bad thing?

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:49:21 AM

Because otherwise probably only those who already agreed with my viewpoint would read it, which is not my intended target group.

That's why the first line in the post is there in bold Smiley

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 07:57:22 AM

Clever marketing..to get your thread noticed in this busy forum you have to resort to bait and switch tactics Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: