Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:44:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Gold and Silver lose all its speculative value to Bitcoin?  (Read 7884 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:11:49 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 12:25:44 AM by adamstgBit

Will Gold and Silver lose all its speculative value to bitcoin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35r9VHUblVM

i'm been saying this for years now, will my dream come true?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:20:53 AM

This is what I have been thinking for a while yes. Maybe gold will be downgraded to silver and silver to (what the hell's behind silver?). Although Litecoin might also be in the picture.

If this happens you'll be able to buy shiny things for your girlfriend/wife much much cheaper Smiley

also can someone post a GOLD VS BTC price chart

See the gold collapsing, Bitcoin UP thread.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:25:28 AM

%5 of gold is about 9 trillion dollars, apply that to 21 million bitcoins and we get a price of over 37,000$ pre bitcoin.

Grin

YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:27:09 AM

also can someone post a GOLD VS BTC price chart

Nah.....some people will always demand tangible assets that can be held in ones hand. Granted you can make casscis coins, but still there will always be a demand the known safe reliable bet......and I sure as hell ain't a gold bug but feel obliged to say it.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 12:30:45 AM

this is what Petter Shitf thinks -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7SOPDOvvI

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:36:45 AM

this is what Petter Shitf thinks -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7SOPDOvvI

Ah Sad and he started so well. (although he shouldn't say replicate but rather improve for each of the characteristics)

He doesn't understand intrinsic value.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:38:19 AM

Gold is tangible.  Bitcoin can aspire to tap into the gold market sure, but gold is still a safer store of value because it requires nothing to exist.  Bitcoin will always require electricity.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:39:15 AM

Gold is tangible.  Bitcoin can aspire to tap into the gold market sure, but gold is still a better store of value because it requires nothing to exist.  Bitcoin will always require electricity.

Tangibility is actually an undesirable property. Time will show everyone because superior currencies will win in the end.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:44:39 AM

Gold is tangible.  Bitcoin can aspire to tap into the gold market sure, but gold is still a better store of value because it requires nothing to exist.  Bitcoin will always require electricity.

Tangibility is actually an undesirable property. Time will show everyone because superior currencies will win in the end.

True, we will see but gold is not trying to be a currency.  It's store of value. 

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:53:50 AM

True, we will see but gold is not trying to be a currency.  It's store of value. 

People will see that that's actually the same thing. This is why fiat "currencies" are so incredibly bad currencies.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:59:25 AM

Not only store of value, gold is used in electronic and some other areas as well. It is usefull metal
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 01:00:00 AM

Not only store of value, gold is used in electronic and some other areas aswell. It is usefull metal

aluminum is useful too

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:01:00 AM

Not only store of value, gold is used in electronic and some other areas aswell. It is usefull metal

aluminum is useful too

Yes and we're merely talking about speculative value here. Industrially gold will continue to be used and don't forget jewelry. But that makes up such a tiny portion of the market cap ...
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:01:21 AM

People will see that that's actually the same thing. This is why fiat "currencies" are so incredibly bad currencies.

Well if Bitcoin doesn't become stable, it will never find usefulness as a currency. It will merely be a digital store of value. Gold has survived every type of fiat ever created.  I think comparing Bitcoin to Gold is honestly, wishful thinking.  As I said, gold requires nothing to exist.  Bitcoin, at it's most fundamental level, still has "counter-party risk".  Thus, I don't think the two can accurately be compared.  They are completely different.  That's not to say, many gold speculators wont jump on Bitcoin.  It's highly possible they will.  

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:05:46 AM

Well if Bitcoin doesn't become stable, it will never find usefulness as a currency. It will merely be a digital store of value. Gold has survived every type of fiat ever created.  I think comparing Bitcoin to Gold is honestly, wishful thinking.  As I said, gold requires nothing to exist.  Bitcoin, at it's most fundamental level, still has "counter-party risk".  Thus, I don't think the two can accurately be compared.  They are completely different.  That's not to say, many gold speculators wont jump on Bitcoin.  It's highly possible they will.  

I completely disagree. Bitcoin improves on gold for every property. Bitcoin is an evolution over gold. Cryptocurrencies are an evolution over PMs.

How does Bitcoin has "counter-party-risk" anyway? You can store your own private keys, it's actually easier than storing your own gold in sufficient quantities.

And stability? I think that's overrated, but at some point the value will stop its explosive growth.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:10:38 AM

I completely disagree. Bitcoin improves on gold for every property. Bitcoin is an evolution over gold. Cryptocurrencies are an evolution over PMs.

How does Bitcoin has "counter-party-risk" anyway? You can store your own private keys, it's actually easier than storing your own gold in sufficient quantities.

And stability? I think that's overrated, but at some point the value will stop its explosive growth.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree.   Wink  Bitcoin has "counter-party-risk" because it's digital.  Requires electricity, among other things.  If all the lights go out, Bitcoin is useless but gold will still be extremely valuable, as it's been for thousands of years.  You can't digitally evolve gold.  You can digitally evolve fiat currencies, but not gold.  As awesome as Bitcoin is, it still has no intrinsic value.

Stability overrated for a currency?  Yeah, probably not going to get many that agree with that.  Stability is essential for usefulness.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 01:11:52 AM

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree.   Wink  Bitcoin has "counter-party-risk" because it's digital.  Requires electricity, among other things.  If all the lights go out, Bitcoin is useless but gold will still be extremely valuable, as it's been for thousands of years.  You can't digitally evolve gold.  You can digitally evolve fiat currencies, but not gold.  

well gold can be filled with tungsten so it has "counter-party-risk" as well

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:15:29 AM

i don't think Gold is dropping value because of Bitcoin. i think Gold is losing value because people are regaining confidence in Fiat/Stocks etc. silly humans.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:15:35 AM

This is an amazing video!

Shitf single handedly refutes all his arguments over the last month against Bitcoin. Now all he is arguing is intrinsic value!

Wow, this is actually a major shift.

And the intrinsic value argument is ridiculous! You've got to be kidding me. There are dozens of metals with more intrinsic value than gold.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 01:16:24 AM

well gold can be filled with tungsten so it has "counter-party-risk" as well

That's not counter party risk, that's gold being susceptible to counterfeit.  Something Bitcoin prevents.

i don't think Gold is dropping value because of Bitcoin. i think Gold is losing value because people are regaining confidence in Fiat/Stocks etc. silly humans.

Likely this.  ^^  Just as when stocks and economy tumble people run to gold.  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: