Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:30:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you willing to pay for a psychological experment?  (Read 8212 times)
aivlis (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 02:05:14 PM

I'd like to see how many people are willing to send 1 BTC to me, out of what they generated. I'm using this as a psychological experiment. There are 3 rules:
1. Please DO NOT send traded, bought or donated coins, just generated.
2. Please DO NOT send amounts smaller or higher than 1 as will send them to the faucet and don't count the amount as valid.
3. Please DO NOT send 1 BTC more than once to influence the outcoming.

I will post a detailed report on what I have found out in a exactly 7 days.

12PqSDKWqThrdhGpQME6eKvN82qhBNx95n

LE: This is just the first step. Each step takes a week. To whole thing has a span of 30 weeks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 02:17:43 PM

Full marks for trying! :-)

There's no way to force the bitcoin client to spend a generated coin rather than a traded coin, by the way. And if there was, people would keep their generated coins for when they absolutely need the maximum anonymity.
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 08:09:55 PM

Full marks for trying! :-)

There's no way to force the bitcoin client to spend a generated coin rather than a traded coin, by the way. And if there was, people would keep their generated coins for when they absolutely need the maximum anonymity.

well, if you keep a separate wallet for your generation, you could. Smiley

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
ronaldmaustin

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 11:40:34 AM

I'd like to see how many people are willing to send 1/2  BTC to me, out of their wallet. I'm using this as a way to make money. Thus, I am charging half as much and being honest with you.  I will also post a detailed report in seven days.  The report will emphasize the fact that unless I get more than half of what he does, most people on here are stupid.

There are 3 rules:
1. Please DO NOT mix trash.  If you want to send me money, you have to promise to separate your  recyclables from other trash for one week.
2. Please DO NOT drink and drive.  I did and now I have to take a class every week.
3. Please DO NOT send more than 100 Bitcoins total to  influence the "outcoming".  You may send more than 100 for any other reason.  100 coins buys you 200 votes (201 acutally, because you will have my vote that you are a lunatic.)

I will post a detailed report on what I have found out in a exactly 7 days.

1Bo9uvaUbXZnNAWFnVBZUJ4iPtZ8gEG3D

LE: This is just the first step. Each step takes a 6 days. To whole thing has a span of the amount of time until you get bored sending me money.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 12:02:05 PM

I'm doing a psychological experiment to see how many people are willing to send me 10 bitcoins. For each donation, I will post a creatively-written three-paragraphs of grovelling praise. If you have specific ideas for those three paragraphs, feel free to send me a PM after you've sent the coins.

12Xds1x9wMgJSAmpnchFQrg5BUPHbwJ3ec
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 12:12:35 PM

Damned it ribuck has been quicker than me.

I'd like to make an experiment too.  The purpose is to see how many people are willing to pay for a silly experiment.  So, this experiment has no purpose.  It is just a silly experiment.

In order to contribute to the experiment, please donate 1 BTC to:

186k1qpkn26Gd45Bznhh5SRReo93XLPvuu

chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 03:48:15 PM

these guys are chumps, time for a real experament. Send any amount of bitcoins to the hash in my sig OR I KILL THE ABSTRACT ART BUNNY/GOAT/COW HEAD LOOKING CREATURE!

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2011, 04:03:57 PM

Huh.

I live next to a major research university, and at least around here people get PAID to participate in psychological experiments.

Not the other way around.

So I guess my short answer would be "no".

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
dingus

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 07:54:24 PM

Huh.

I live next to a major research university, and at least around here people get PAID to participate in psychological experiments.

Not the other way around.

So I guess my short answer would be "no".

I suppose that is what he is testing...the ability for someone who just came upon some money to give it away or keep it.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 10:49:45 PM

I am here to report that not one person sent me any bitcoins.  At least I follow through Elvis.
ronaldmaustin

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 01:34:02 PM

6 days passed. I'm gonna end Phase 1 today. Except for some guys trolling around, everything is fine (I don't mind, i even liked your posts)

2 people sent me 1 coin each. 309 views at this time and just 2 people sent (thank you for that). Since the "only generated coins" is hard to follow and verify, I'm gonna pass it over. There were no trolls, nobody sent 0.05 or 1.3 bitcoins. This is one of the best things, because it shows me the community is serious enough to obey even the rules made by a complete newbie that nobody knows. Also, it seems not many people are willing to risk and this leads me to some questions. I agree that I can't compare the risk of investing, buying bitcoins with this not-trustworthy-enough-and-silly experiment. I actually used "experiment" for a plus of credit, we should call it "a game". Anyway,

And to chris200x9: I thought in my sadistic mind to take a well-known piece of art that I own and ask people to send 0.01 bitcoins. If I had 5000 (that means 500000 from different addresses) I would give that piece of art to a charity fund. If not, I'd just destroy it by burning it live. Just to see how many people would work, and how much, to save something of value.

So, week 2:

I'm gonna ask the people that sent me coins to PM me so I can refund them, as I do not need their coins. Please use just PM. This ends Saturday 26th 2011.

So why is it when people "obey" your rules, they are part of the experiment, but when I question your rules I am trolling?  Let's make this "game" interesting.  I bet you two bitcoins that two people did not send you one coin each.  If anyone did, say so here.  Do you think anyone here believes that you own a well known piece of art, or would burn it as part of your obscure little "game" posted on a thread of an obscure internet forum?  What is your well known piece of art?  Finally, do you think by telling us that you are refunding the money you never actually received, you will persuade anyone to send you anything?  This may have worded for Carlo Ponzi, but it will not work here.  Do you know why junior?  Because the people on here are pretty smart.  The Bitcoin concept involves mathematics, probability, statistics, encryption, economics, programming and a host of other areas of expertise that do not lend themselves to being easily suckered.  You would have much more luck in a whole lot of other places on the internet.
barwench

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2011, 09:57:08 PM

I'm gonna ask the people that sent me coins to PM me so I can refund them, as I do not need their coins. Please use just PM. This ends Saturday 26th 2011.

can't you refund them to the address they came from?
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 10:03:14 PM

A transaction can have multiple inputs and multiple outputs. There's no way to be sure that the input address you choose to refund to was the original owner of those Bitcoin.
barwench

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 11:36:17 AM

A transaction can have multiple inputs and multiple outputs. There's no way to be sure that the input address you choose to refund to was the original owner of those Bitcoin.

right.

does that happen in practice? (Maybe transactions originating in an exchange?)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 01:24:37 PM

right.

does that happen in practice? (Maybe transactions originating in an exchange?)

The "from" address is wrong whenever someone using an EWallet sends bitcoins.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 02:46:46 PM

I'm doing a psychological experiment to see how many people are willing to send me 10 bitcoins. For each donation, I will post a creatively-written three-paragraphs of grovelling praise. If you have specific ideas for those three paragraphs, feel free to send me a PM after you've sent the coins.

12Xds1x9wMgJSAmpnchFQrg5BUPHbwJ3ec

I'm doing a psychological experiment to see how many people are willing to not visit http://witcoin.com.  For each individual that does not actively visit witcoin.com at any point in time, I will not actively participate in or respond to their submitted content at the site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: