Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lmao @ people buying subway and etc w/ BTC!!!  (Read 5470 times)
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:54:13 PM

nothing wrong with buying a sandwich with btc. When you go to buy your btc just buy some extra above what you would normally get just for buying sandwiches. 
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayDT

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:02:45 PM

What if the merchant gives a 50% discount for using BTC?

Customer: gets $10 sandwich for $5. Spends $5 and gets more BTC
Merchant: gets $5 worth of bitcoins today, but will be worth $10+ with patience.

WIN-WIN. The advantages of a strong currency in action - encouraging work and production.

The only reply worth reading on this thread (although I stopped reading at this one).

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:20:07 AM

Are you f***ing serious?? lol.... You do realize that in a year or two, that BTC you just spent is gonna be worth a lot more... congratulations, you just bought a sandwich for $300 LOL!! These stores are smart to accept bitcoins and store as much as they can early on

oh...i could cash some btc and get some food...or go hungry and sit on my money for moar footcher riche$!

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
HoboTheClown

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:41:15 PM

Using bitcoin now helps everyone in terms of growth if bitcoins.  Besides, if the people who bought those subway sandwiches are miners, does it matter how much the spend?  Not really.  If they bought bitcoins early on, do you think they care also?  Nope, they made a profit still.  I'd like to spend some bitcoins locally. I don't have much but with the price rise, it would be a treat.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:50:42 PM

Are you f***ing serious?? lol.... You do realize that in a year or two, that BTC you just spent is gonna be worth a lot more... congratulations, you just bought a sandwich for $300 LOL!! These stores are smart to accept bitcoins and store as much as they can early on

this is stupid. just stupid. your stupid. i dont feel like explaining to you why your stupid.

It's "you're stupid", not "your stupid".  Sure glad you're so smart.  

Grin

It's true, Bitcoin has to be spent to help Bitcoin grow.  For me though, I'm interested in enriching myself and my family, so spending them on something as silly as a Subway sandwich is completely out of the question.  "Spend Bitcoin, then go rebuy the equivlant back in Bitcoin"??  Huh  Rediculous on so many levels.  Convience is one and the extra 1%, plus my time which has value, and this thinking makes no sense to me.

This is the downside of a deflationary currency and in time we will see if it makes or breaks Bitcoin as a transactional currency.  

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

So how would you buy a Subway sandwich OP (or supporters)?

If your answer is fiat then may I ask: why are you holding fiat?
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:24:58 PM

So how would you buy a Subway sandwich OP (or supporters)?

If your answer is fiat then may I ask: why are you holding fiat?

Two words:

"Mass Adopted"   Wink

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

I love how short-sighted this argument is.  Here I'll make it really simple:
  • Buy something with BTC
  • Open coinbase and buy the same amount of coins back
That should answer your question.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
BitTrade

Activity: 173

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:10:22 PM

The purpose of a currency is to purchase things, not to increase the value of OP's speculative interest in bitcoin via hoarding.  OP realizes that once people stop hoarding bitcoin, the value of each unit may decrease.  His post is self-interested, not bitcoin-interested.
Coinseeker

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:19:36 PM

I love how short-sighted this argument is.  Here I'll make it really simple:
  • Buy something with BTC
  • Open coinbase and buy the same amount of coins back
That should answer your question.

And pay an additional 1% on all my purchases?   Huh  For what purpose?  I'd rather use a CC and let the business eat the costs or just use cash and keep the 1% for myself.

B!tC0in

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:44:30 PM

This OP Cheesy

I used to have 10,000 bitcoins.

spent it on shrooms in silkroad

The story of a huge number of early Bitcoin users. Most of the people I know who are big into bitcoin are those that got into it early through its merits of being able to buy drugs off SR. OFC they all massively regret paying what is now $10000 or even $100,000 for a few grams of some chemical purchased off the road but bitcoin wouldn't be where it was today if it wasn't for these transactions. If everyone bought and held it wouldn't be a currency.
Rez

Activity: 132

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 07:59:27 PM

Buy extra in Bitcoin for these kinds of purchases, rather than spending local currency. Then, if you decide against the sandwich, you'll end up with a little more value down the road. On the other hand, if you buy the sandwich, you help BTC along and help an entrepreneur as well. Win-win.

Or you can keep it all and once BTC collapses in on itself from hoarding, you can sweep the Subway owner's front stoop for a sammich.

BITCOIN.SL Domain for Sale - ฿5.00 - Bitcoin Only - Escrow OK
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:03:38 PM

there is nothing wrong with that ...
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:18:22 PM

If everyone was as stupid like you are, they would now still be 0.03$

So, thanks for laughing at me, but you're the one looking stupid.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:34:42 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 10:00:54 PM by Alpaca Bob

How else would I pay for with? Wait, you don't still hold dollars do you? LOL!! Are you fucking serious? You do realize that in a year or two all these dollars will be completely worthless compared to bitcoin... Congratulations, you just got a bunch of worthless paper in your pocket LOL!!

Seriously though, if you are this sure about bitcoins value increasing 10000% in the next year or so, you better not be holding dollars still.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:33:29 PM

Not everybody sees bitcoin as an investment. I probably wouldn't use BTC for day-to-day transactions that I could do in my own currency yet, but there are a lot of early bitcoin owners who aren't just sitting on their investments - if I had 10+ BTC purchased before the price was <£10, I'd definitely take that as an opportunity to get a "free", tasty lunch every day rather than taking it out of my paycheck!
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:01:02 PM

Not everybody sees bitcoin as an investment. I probably wouldn't use BTC for day-to-day transactions that I could do in my own currency yet, but there are a lot of early bitcoin owners who aren't just sitting on their investments - if I had 10+ BTC purchased before the price was <£10, I'd definitely take that as an opportunity to get a "free", tasty lunch every day rather than taking it out of my paycheck!
Right.  The logical thing is to put as much of his liquid assests in btc as possible, without actually creating a cash flow crunch for himself.  There may be times when he's low on fiat and needs to convert some bitcoin to fiat, and other times when he has some extra dollars to buy btc with.
I have enough confidence in bitcoin that I am following the strategy I just outlined.  I have even sold stocks to raise cash to put into bitcoin.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:39:10 PM

In May I bought 0.5BTC for about 40EUR and put it on my smartphone. I spent 0.3 of that on beer & food & coffee. Then I didn't have much opportunity to spend BTC. Now a Subway started accepting BTC in my city. The 0.2BTC I still have there now has a value of 120E. I bought some sandwiches for me & my friends last week. This week the value of the valet is still greater than last week. I figure this 0.2BTC will keep buying me subway sandwiches forever. I don't feel bad about this.  Huh

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:47:31 PM

In May I bought 0.5BTC for about 40EUR and put it on my smartphone. I spent 0.3 of that on beer & food & coffee. Then I didn't have much opportunity to spend BTC. Now a Subway started accepting BTC in my city. The 0.2BTC I still have there now has a value of 120E. I bought some sandwiches for me & my friends last week. This week the value of the valet is still greater than last week. I figure this 0.2BTC will keep buying me subway sandwiches forever. I don't feel bad about this.  Huh
Buy bitcoins low, buy sandwiches high.
And they said, there's no such thing as a free meal. Tongue

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:48:40 PM

the purpose of using bitcoin is to not use the corrupt system which uses fiat us dollars backed by tanks and hypocrisy

shoutout to adam

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: