Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:05:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin client wish list  (Read 1088 times)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:42:43 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 09:55:44 AM by amincd

Ideas are a dime a dozen, but for what it's worth, I'd like to share my idea of an ideal bitcoin client:

You have two install links to choose from:

Full client- more secure, recommended on desktops

Light client- recommended on mobile devices

Upon the installation prompt, you are given two security options:

Default Security- You will have two accounts, a checking and savings account. The savings account will be encrypted, while the checking account will not.

High Security- Both checking and savings accounts are encrypted.

Next frame:

You are asked to input a private key, at least 14 characters long, for the encryption. There are no asterisks covering the private key characters, so you can see the entire key when you've finished typing it out. Below the input field, there is a message saying:

"It is critically important that you record this private key and keep it in a safe place that no one but you can access and that you will remember. Losing access to your private key means losing access to any bitcoins stored in an encrypted account on this client and the encrypted backups of all of your accounts that will be sent email address.

For extra safety and security, we recommend you click the 'Print' button below to print out two paper copies of the key, or if you don't have access to a printer, manually record the key by writing it on two pieces of paper. By storing each paper in a separate and safe location, you can significantly reduce the possibility of losing your key."

Below that, there is a 'Print' button, and below that, there's a check box beside a message 'I have securely recorded my private key', that when clicked, allows you to click the 'Next' button.

Next frame:

You are asked to input an email address, where an encrypted backup of your wallets will be sent.

You click 'Finish', and your client is installed.

The client allows you to:

* transfer bitcoins between your accounts (e.g. checking and savings)

* create new accounts, and name them whatever you want, as well deciding whether they will be encrypted or not.

* view the account balances of encrypted accounts without having to input the private key.

It also automatically sends a backup of your wallets to your designated email address whenever one of the wallets creates a new batch of 100 addresses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 10:11:41 AM

Good ideas; though this (General Bitcoin Discussion) is the wrong place to post them;

Encrypted wallets are already in git, so will be in the next version; multiple wallet support and importing/exporting private keys (to paper, for example) is planned for later.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:50:53 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 12:17:19 PM by amincd

Could a mod please move this to an appropriate section?

I did know that the next version will have encrypted wallets. Glad to hear multiple wallet support and importing/exporting private keys is also planned, though to be clear, I was referring to having an option to print out the key used to decrypt encrypted wallets, rather than private keys of the bitcoin addresses.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

The most obvious feature needed for new users:

Blockchain download progress. Many questions arise from the client not providing this information. Newbies see the mysterious number increment, but have no idea what it is or why their transactions haven't shown up yet.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 07:11:41 PM

Release the next version already. Grin I've had a build with wallet encryption for a while now.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 10:21:04 PM

I would like to see option to upload encrypted backup of wallet to some predefined online storage services or own remote server via sftp or ftp and ability to download it from client on another PC.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 09:39:24 PM

Quote from: TraderJimm
The most obvious feature needed for new users:

Blockchain download progress. Many questions arise from the client not providing this information. Newbies see the mysterious number increment, but have no idea what it is or why their transactions haven't shown up yet.

Yes, it'd be nice if the block chain was included in the download link, so the client started off with the full block chain.  Also, if beside the transaction, something like "1 block since confirmation", instead of "1 confirmations", and at 6 confirmations, it simply says "confirmed", would be easily more understood by users.

Quote from: Deafboy
I would like to see option to upload encrypted backup of wallet to some predefined online storage services or own remote server via sftp or ftp and ability to download it from client on another PC.

This would be nice.. I would suggest it be an advanced option, in the installation step where you input your email address.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: