Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:12:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Armory be trusted as much as Bitcoin-Qt?  (Read 1089 times)
pf (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 03:18:37 PM

Bitcoin-Qt is the "official" client. I currently use that, but it has some limitations.

Armory has a lot of great features.

Would you recommend it? Is it as trustworthy as Bitcoin-Qt? Is it as well "peer-reviewed" as Bitcoin-Qt?

Do you have estimates on roughly how many people across the globe review the Bitcoin-Qt source code, and how many the Armory source code, before each release?

For example, if tens of thousands of people review Bitcoin-Qt, but only a dozen people review Armory, there may be a reason to worry about fraudulent activities in Armory development.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ArthurBitcoin

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:27:39 PM

Good questions. 

Armory version 0.88.1, which I believe is the current version, uses a lot of RAM.  About 5GB on my machine.

It's my understanding that there is a big update coming out soon which improves things.

Version 0.88.1 seems to be working pretty good, aside from the RAM issue.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:32:15 PM

Bitcoin-Qt is the "official" client. I currently use that, but it has some limitations.

Armory has a lot of great features.

Would you recommend it? Is it as trustworthy as Bitcoin-Qt? Is it as well "peer-reviewed" as Bitcoin-Qt?

Do you have estimates on roughly how many people across the globe review the Bitcoin-Qt source code, and how many the Armory source code, before each release?

For example, if tens of thousands of people review Bitcoin-Qt, but only a dozen people review Armory, there may be a reason to worry about fraudulent activities in Armory development.

I think armory received a generous funding from venturers to better improve the client. I don't think it's in their interest to turn it to a malware  Tongue
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:38:25 PM

Plus it is open source, so you can check it and make sure it will not steal your bitcoins.

OP's concern is about how many people are actually reviewing the code.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 05:43:38 PM

Plus it is open source, so you can check it and make sure it will not steal your bitcoins.

OP's concern is about how many people are actually reviewing the code.

I know I look at the source before updating, I can't put a number on it, but there's a big community clearly but the subforum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: