Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:09:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nasdaq CEO Adena Friedman said they are open to becoming crypto exchange  (Read 181 times)
avikz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 06:25:31 PM

On an interview dated April 25, 2018, with CNBC's Squawk Box, Nasdaq CEO Adena Friedman told,

"I believe that digital currencies will continue to persist it's just a matter of how long it will take for that space to mature, once you look at it and say, 'do we want to provide a regulated market for this?' Certainly Nasdaq would consider it."

It doesn't stop here because on the same day Nasdaq has signed a technology deal with Gemini to provide them access to Nasdaq's surveillance technology to make sure the platform provides a fair and "rules-based marketplace", for their own participants.

Article Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/nasdaq-is-open-to-becoming-cryptocurrency-exchange-ceo-says.html

Outlook towards cryptos is changing, slowly but surely!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 09:33:33 PM

This is another wonderful news, one big stock market exchange will start to open crypto exchange.

Well this will load big sums of money in the market once they started the operations.

Slowly and better movement, we don't have to rush and for sure other big markets in the economy of world will follow.

The Elites announced it's support then who's next? It might be the other countries will start adopting bitcoin and if this happens we'll eventually see the price to peak.

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:56:32 PM

I wonder when they would consider regulations to be ironed out though. US regulations seem to be pretty stable, with taxation even starting to be implemented strictly. It doesn't look like there are any impending regulations either.

The only thing that really needs to mature at this point is consumer interest itself. Most people still seem to see it as a way to make quick bucks when it could be a legit investment and a legit currency rolled into one.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 06:50:19 PM

The only thing that really needs to mature at this point is consumer interest itself. Most people still seem to see it as a way to make quick bucks when it could be a legit investment and a legit currency rolled into one.

Stability is key. As soon as the market and the ecosystem around Bitcoin have matured properly, which means that at that point we catched up on a lot of the potential that makes people go wild right now, the usage will adjust itself. It will then no longer be a get rich quick type of product, but something that's an actual instrument serving more purposes than just one. I see a Gold scenario evolve here, where Bitcoin can actually function as proper currency tool.

It all comes down to how quick we catch up on Bitcoin's future growth potential. If Bitcoin reaches Gold's level of stability, there surely will remain a decent bit of speculation, but it will be damped down to the absolute bottom. Also, we don't yet know how long fiat will remain relevant when it comes to all its ties to the different assets we have in this world. I don't rule out a 1 satoshi unit = 1 satoshi unit scenario.
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 07:00:22 PM

Thank God I got to hear something good, else I had read only those boring threads from the past few hours on the forum. Regulation in the market is very necessary according to me. it is very good that people have started realizing this fact and have executed these things for real than just being a part of the paper work. It is only such countries and their country men that make them stand out from the crowd.  Cool

It is very good that the outlook towards the cryptos is changing, though slowly but this marks a step further towards the era that will be a game changer. Hopefully  the crypto will become a global currency and a global leader very soon and the world will become a good place to live on.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 05:40:06 AM

I wonder when they would consider regulations to be ironed out though. US regulations seem to be pretty stable, with taxation even starting to be implemented strictly. It doesn't look like there are any impending regulations either.

Regulation is still very light touch, with the CFTC having oversight over Bitcoin futures, but not the underlying. Given the multitude of regulators, established exchanges would want clarity before proceeding. Classification for taxation is just one aspect of regulation.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:32:27 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2018, 11:44:50 AM by jseverson

As soon as the market and the ecosystem around Bitcoin have matured properly, which means that at that point we catched up on a lot of the potential that makes people go wild right now, the usage will adjust itself.

That's kind of the thing I was asking though. At what point would you consider the market and ecosystem mature? What requirements would have to be met? Wouldn't we need mainstream adoption or something close to it before things get to that point? Bitcoin is never going to be stable while it's as small as it currently is after all.

That's why I mentioned consumer interest; you don't really need adoption, you instead need to portray Bitcoin in a new light to drive adoption. I have no idea how to do this effectively though, of course, but I'm guessing improving scalability and ease of use through advances in technology is a very big step towards it.

Regulation is still very light touch, with the CFTC having oversight over Bitcoin futures, but not the underlying. Given the multitude of regulators, established exchanges would want clarity before proceeding. Classification for taxation is just one aspect of regulation.

Bitcoin Futures regulations would have nothing to do with them acting as a conventional cryptocurrency exchange though, unless they also plan to integrate that. I'm genuinely curious, what other aspects are there?

avikz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:49:18 AM

Absolutely! Things have not taken any shape yet neither any talks have started on this. She made this comment during a TV interview which shows that they are willing to take this forward if other aspects fall into place correctly. That time will tell and Nasdaq can't decide things alone. But we can't deny that we are slowly seeing a silver lining!

target
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1041

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 09:15:19 AM

Nasdaq to become a crypto exchange would really take a huge turn of event for holders of tokens. Does it mean google and MS and etc will have its own token on blockchain? This will be awesome. I think its likely to happen when all are going to see its affect when crypto are going to be adopted massively and we'd  all see it sooner with XRP. XRP seem like going to widely be known to all through the banks.

BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 02:09:16 PM

XRP seem like going to widely be known to all through the banks.
Of course. XRP due to its centralized nature is a perfect plaything for banks. If we are looking at things from a general perspective, then why would one use XRP over anything banks themselves come up with?

At the end of the day, you are subject to the same form of ask permission to execute action structure. That's directly the reason I believe that while XRP enjoys great interest from banks, people will leave it for what it is.

Another thing that most people here don't pay attention to, and that while it's very important, is the fact that XRP is massively premined. That alone should be reason enough to ring alarm bells and thus to avoud that coin.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Hamphser

Activity: 2478
Merit: 326

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:27:30 PM

This is another wonderful news, one big stock market exchange will start to open crypto exchange.

Well this will load big sums of money in the market once they started the operations.

Slowly and better movement, we don't have to rush and for sure other big markets in the economy of world will follow.

The Elites announced it's support then who's next? It might be the other countries will start adopting bitcoin and if this happens we'll eventually see the price to peak.
No doubt and this is indeed a good news for cryptomarket yet they are already considering cryptocurrencies.If stock market elites do recognized it and tend to make an exchange then this would be an eye opener for others too which will increase the awareness and might able to follow on what others decision.This would truly gives positive outcome if most of them would recognize cryptos existence.Im expecting on what would happen on upcoming years which this kind of adoption is on the move.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
avikz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 06:53:39 AM

Nasdaq to become a crypto exchange would really take a huge turn of event for holders of tokens. Does it mean google and MS and etc will have its own token on blockchain? This will be awesome. I think its likely to happen when all are going to see its affect when crypto are going to be adopted massively and we'd  all see it sooner with XRP. XRP seem like going to widely be known to all through the banks.

I don't think Adena meant that Nasdaq will be going full time crypto exchange. So I don't see Google or Microsfot or any other listed entities to release their own token in blockchain anytime soon. She mentioned about a different wing of Nasdaq to facilitate crypto exchange which would be separate than the current one. Just for information, Ripple is a centralized cryptocurrency controlled by a single company. I would say ETH is the future, if not bitcoin. I don't see Ripple as a worthy contender in any way!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: