Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:52:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SHAME THREAD  (Read 1043 times)
chr0npiles

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 12:57:20 AM

ha. I came here expecting a different sort of shame thread.  Something along the lines of "I bought some bitcoins, discovered satoshi dice, whoa holy shit I'm up a couple coins....and now my life savings is gone."

I'm glad it is simply a lament to missed opportunities of the past.  I, too, wish I had purchased when I first starting following the currency.  I had the fortune of stumbling onto the idea during my senior year of college, while finishing up my economics major.  It presented a unique opportunity for me to observe this real world experiment and test of economic theory with my education still fresh in my mind.  I couldn't help but think of the Dutch Tulip bubble at first, and it proved me wrong on a few occasions, but I was just never quite 100% sold on it.  I own a small holding of coins, and was able to purchase @ 60, but they were selling for pennies on the dollar when I first discovered it.  Alas, I was a broke college kid at the time, but even my pittance of a bankroll would've netted me a small fortune!  Damn.  Oh well.  My dad told me a story about how he missed out on purchasing cell phone towers with a group of friends in the '80's.  Those guys are still enjoying the profits from leasing them out to the highest bidders today. 

Point is that there will always be missed opportunities, especially when it comes down to financials.  Hindsight is 20/20, and this ride isn't over yet.  We're on a nice peak, and still may not be at the top.  I don't want to get my hopes too far up and am not paying too much attention to the daily price fluctuations and the madness behind all that, but its hard to avoid it entirely. It is nice to know that the small investment I made some months ago is really turning into something substantial.  I'll be holding onto those coins until the ship sinks (if she sinks!), but if I happen to obtain a few more between now and then, I'll certainly hope to profit a bit off them in the short term.  And spend them on actual goods, of course. 

That is the important thing, after all.  The more that BTC resembles "money" in the Austrian sense, the better off all of us will be.  Price won't mean jack shit if we can't carry the momentum we've got into turning this into a truly ubiquitous currency. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lord F(r)og
Donator

Activity: 477
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:08:00 AM

Dunno exactly, but it was a hot summer's day 2010 or 2011. I had a few minutes time in between two of those unconsciously shimmering but although into the night lasting snap-shots of summer. I thought about encrypting my hdd and how to do it, 'cause I heard something about it on the news and wanted to do some research. And then I stumbled about Bitcoin for a second. Somehow it sticked to me and I did a brief reading. But it wasn't what I was looking for and I left into the next summer experience. I had a valuable good time back then, by far more valuable than going into Bitcoin that day! I don't regret anything!
kamant

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:08:14 AM

So freebitco.in doesn't show your balance on my mobile browser. I had the idea to hit "bet max" and find out that I had .03, my first tangible holding in btc. My stupid touch screen registered a roll when I tried to change my bet. Back to 0. FML
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: