Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:51:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else think bitcoin is a stupid name?  (Read 3217 times)
BitTrade

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:01:41 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2013, 12:39:18 AM by BitTrade

No, but I'll tell you what is:

millibitcoin
bitmills
millibit

If mB become the most commonly used denomination, and one of these terms is adopted, we're going to have a branding nightmare on our hands.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:25:34 PM

The only complaints I've had about the Bitcoin name is that it's fairly English-specific and awkward with metric prefixes. 

Saying "a millibitcoin" is much harder than saying "a millimeter."  same for micro, atto, kilo, etc. 

The English-specific I was talking about goes well beyond just using "coin" as a root.  What I mean is it doesn't work with the phonotactics of most languages that aren't English.   Most languages have four to seven vowels; English has eleven or twelve, including diphthongs like "oi"!

A lot of Asian languages don't allow consonant clusters.  If you're a (native) English speaker on the other hand you can pronounce words like "Twelfths" (yes, that ends in four entirely separate consonants with no vowels between them, and "th" is utterly outside the consonants most non-germanic languages allow)! Nobody else in the world, except maybe Germans, can pronounce "twelfths" correctly. 

Anyway, "Bitcoin" isn't nearly as bad as "Twelfths" but it sure as heck isn't going to work in, say, Japanese or Chinese; they'll have to insert a vowel between the T and the C in order to pronounce it at all, and because they don't use the "oi" vowel in their languages they're going to substitute something else for that.  It would have been nicer all around to name it something everybody can pronounce the same way.

Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:31:33 PM

Most people think its a joke, those who have never heard of it. Tongue

Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:32:23 PM

Most people think its a joke, those who have never heard of it fail to see it's a 800$ joke. Tongue

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:34:26 PM

The only complaints I've had about the Bitcoin name is that it's fairly English-specific and awkward with metric prefixes. 

Saying "a millibitcoin" is much harder than saying "a millimeter."  same for micro, atto, kilo, etc. 

The English-specific I was talking about goes well beyond just using "coin" as a root.  What I mean is it doesn't work with the phonotactics of most languages that aren't English.   Most languages have four to seven vowels; English has eleven or twelve, including diphthongs like "oi"!

A lot of Asian languages don't allow consonant clusters.  If you're a (native) English speaker on the other hand you can pronounce words like "Twelfths" (yes, that ends in four entirely separate consonants with no vowels between them, and "th" is utterly outside the consonants most non-germanic languages allow)! Nobody else in the world, except maybe Germans, can pronounce "twelfths" correctly. 

Anyway, "Bitcoin" isn't nearly as bad as "Twelfths" but it sure as heck isn't going to work in, say, Japanese or Chinese; they'll have to insert a vowel between the T and the C in order to pronounce it at all, and because they don't use the "oi" vowel in their languages they're going to substitute something else for that.  It would have been nicer all around to name it something everybody can pronounce the same way.

One hundred and twenty two millibit
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 11:54:29 PM

One hundred and twenty two millibit

Where you been!!??
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 01:41:22 AM

I think the name is one of the reasons people don't take us seriously. When I tell them about it, they're like hmm "funny name"... Surely there must be better alternatives.

Yes!! According to my research people unfamiliar with cryptocurrencies prefer the name GoldCoin over the name Bitcoin 100% of the time.

http://coinmarketcap.com/
Arock

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:07:50 AM

Lol when I hear the word Twitter now I think of the movie where Vince Vaughn calls it "Twatter" (hearing him say it out loud is more funny than reading it).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a4ESySCKjgM/S_YXIgLof-I/AAAAAAAABrU/SM7LmN44cKo/s1600/couples-retreat-dvd-cover.jpg

All that matters is the name is here to stay.  Anyone who won't look into an alternative de-centralized crypto-currency because the name is funny - even after you gave hardcore facts - probably doesn't deserve it.  Maybe they'll at least have the sense to diversify their portfolio with precious metals.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:18:38 AM

first say "magic internet money" then say "bitcoin"...

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:22:52 AM

Let's just call it Cash.

this...but bozotokens was pretty good

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:26:42 AM

i think this thread is just for the OP to attempt to get 15 minutes of fame by trying to do something big like renaming bitcoin.

i personally do not see problems with the word bitcoin. but if i was to 'dig' deep enough into the words used within the community, it has been brought up many times the word 'mining' does not fit 'solving a cryptographic puzzle'

maybe the OP could have made a more convincing topic to discuss if he talked about the term mining. even though there are dozens of threads that brought up this subject before so again, a non starter of a topic

heres some examples:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5371.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321764.0

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:09:38 AM

I like the sound of CryptoGenicBullion myself....
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:24:35 AM

I'm just gonna say nah.  I don't think that OP had any illusions about renaming it at this point. 
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:00:30 AM

meh, its big now so people dont care bout the name
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: