Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:10:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Silk Road  (Read 1271 times)
miffman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:10:45 PM

So I never used SR but always curious...how did they come right with shipping? Surely the buyer or sender would get caught and traced? Someone please explain  Huh

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:12:27 PM

PGP encryption technology allows you to send your personal information, info that only the receiver can see.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

Mind you, some people did get caught when they bought from undercover cops.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

not sure how does that work, if for example the US police tries to catch junkies
they get an order from Brazil and they don't have jurisdiction over there, how do they deal with it?

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:40:08 PM

not sure how does that work, if for example the US police tries to catch junkies
they get an order from Brazil and they don't have jurisdiction over there, how do they deal with it?

They probably restrict shipping to the US. I do remember an article about a bust in Australia a while back, but now I can't find it.
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:41:26 PM

They probably restrict shipping to the US. I do remember an article about a bust in Australia a while back, but now I can't find it.

That bust was by the Aussies, but it didn't have much to do with SilkRoad. He was selling drugs offline, and they learned he sold on SR as well.

markjamrobin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:43:45 PM

So I never used SR but always curious...how did they come right with shipping? Surely the buyer or sender would get caught and traced? Someone please explain  Huh

Well domestic mail isn't searched or dog-sniffed, so that part was probably extremely easy. Sellers would ship anonymously, I.E. just drop it in the Drop Off Box, wearing a jacket. As for the buyers, it was never worth the trouble to arrest someone buying a ounce of marijuana. Especially if the person doesn't sign for the package, they have no real case.

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:47:01 PM

I never got around to using it but from what I understand the best thing about it was that you could leave feedback on the vendors, so there was some semblance of peer review on quality.  Now they shut it down and we got kids literally dieing from poison molly...fucking brilliant government, way to go... Roll Eyes

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
markjamrobin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:48:06 PM

I never got around to using it but from what I understand the best thing about it was that you could leave feedback on the vendors, so there was some semblance of peer review on quality.  Now they shut it down and we got kids literally dieing from poison molly...fucking brilliant government, way to go... Roll Eyes

There is another SR now, run by most of the same vendors. Google for SilkRoad 2.

jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:50:06 PM

yeah, going to let that sit for a while and make sure its not a honeypot, not like I have a very high demand anyway, like I said, I never got around to jumping through all the hoops to get TOR working and shit before

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Kiki112

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:03:12 PM

ohh
smart Cheesy

wouldn't it be best for the economy just to legalize it and tax the shit of those junkies Cheesy

markjamrobin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:05:07 PM

ohh
smart Cheesy

wouldn't it be best for the economy just to legalize it and tax the shit of those junkies Cheesy

Probably, but if they do that, a black market will still exist. People won't pay 2x for something, they will go to their nearest indian reservation.

Kiki112

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:09:07 PM

ohh
smart Cheesy

Probably, but if they do that, a black market will still exist. People won't pay 2x for something, they will go to their nearest indian reservation.
maybe, but if it was legal people wouldn't have to hide anymore which gives someone an opportunity to make a mass production (overproduction=lower prices) so the legal way would still be cheaper, I guess Cheesy

markjamrobin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:56:52 PM

ohh
smart Cheesy

maybe, but if it was legal people wouldn't have to hide anymore which gives someone an opportunity to make a mass production (overproduction=lower prices) so the legal way would still be cheaper, I guess Cheesy

Well if you look at cigarettes, you can buy those from an indian reservation at about half of the cost as at a gas station. Although you're still buying the same product.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:53:56 PM

ohh
smart Cheesy

Industrial private prison complex, too big, can't stop, must feed.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:03:10 AM

That bust was by the Aussies, but it didn't have much to do with SilkRoad. He was selling drugs offline, and they learned he sold on SR as well.

Ah, ok. We do know there were undercover cops on Silkroad, though, because one of them sold DPR hitman services Wink

Although, apparently vendor accounts cost a lot of money and were throttled, so it wouldn't be a piece of cake to pose as a legitimate vendor.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:05:45 AM

Industrial private prison complex, too big, can't stop, must feed.

you are making an uncommon amount of sense today dank

you feeling ok buddy?

markjamrobin

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:14:40 AM

Ah, ok. We do know there were undercover cops on Silkroad, though, because one of them sold DPR hitman services Wink

Although, apparently vendor accounts cost a lot of money and were throttled, so it wouldn't be a piece of cake to pose as a legitimate vendor.

Vendor accounts were only $500, but you couldn't unload a kilogram of anything, without serious reputation. And the FBI also bought quite a few items, 3 grams of LSD, a half kilogram of meth, and a half kilogram of cocaine. Also multiple kilograms of Marijuana.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:16:37 AM

Vendor accounts were only $500, but you couldn't unload a kilogram of anything, without serious reputation. And the FBI also bought quite a few items, 3 grams of LSD, a half kilogram of meth, and a half kilogram of cocaine. Also multiple kilograms of Marijuana.

maybe they ended up doing all those drugs and partied. it wouldn't surprise me. they'd just have to tell the higher ups "yeah, we need to buy this to figure out the process."  Cheesy
markjamrobin

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:18:03 AM

maybe they ended up doing all those drugs and partied. it wouldn't surprise me  Cheesy

I'm sure the LSD gave them a "new look", which helped them find DPR Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: