Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:47:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warren Buffett on buying bitcoin: 'That is not investing'  (Read 586 times)
thecodebear

Activity: 2072
Merit: 813

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 02:52:29 AM

Whether you buy real estate, stock, a business, crypto, or whatever, you're always relying on the idea that in the future other people will value it more than it is valued when you bought it. A company can go bankrupt, a house can burn down, a business can fail. Stocks are also based on the psychology of the market. A stock price will go down if it was projected to make more than it did in a given quarter even if it did well, because its all a psychological game. Crypto will go down just the same if some negative news comes out about it. Crypto is just a bit more of a pure psychological game because its based purely on market sentiment and adoption rather than market sentiment towards some external thing (the company).

Buffett doesn't understand anything about crypto and he has admitted as much, and for that reason he doesn't think it is an investment. He also stated nobody knows what it is....clearly he does not know what it is, certainly plenty of people know what Bitcoin is.

He knows how to analyze companies, he doesn't have any idea how to analyze the future possibilities of a cryptocurrency, therefore he calls its a gamble. But really its the same psychological game as the stock market. The stock market isn't based on companies, its based on what people think of the company at any given time. But you can still analyze the possibilities of a cryptocurrency. A new upgrade, a new service added, a new exchange created, a new company adopting it, a very rich person buying and promoting it, the media hyping it. All these things you can analyze to try to decide what Bitcoin will do. Just like with a company you would look at the news about the company, their earnings and other numbers and the trends of those numbers, what products they have coming out, if those products will fail or succeed, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Siren

Activity: 826
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:12:45 AM

Why is it this oldmans word are being valued by some of us here?this old buffet is near to death now and whats coming from his mouth are purely hallucinations and lets accept the fact that it's worthless now,old times gone and hes not on the position now to give accurate speculations..

Warren buffet is actually have an other side on mind and he doesn't mind cryptocurrency still on this days he is not a fan of technology? Oh well i doubt, knowing that he invested money in bitcoins. I don't really care what words comes from him because what i see and my knowledge on this will be the next future of my life and not by his words.
Yu got it there men,were just being popularized this oldman thats why many of us misleading by hes words,but not me,because eversince i enter cryptoworld i never become one of his fan
Omegasun

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:19:06 AM

it is true what he said, if not many people buy then the price will not rise, it goes into the volality, but what if it turns out that many people are buying ?? whether to lose? this is actually almost the same as gambling.
No matter what they say, we are still the one who knows how it reflects us, the time we earned from it and the investment and gamble in trading we do still matters, they might e rich now, but who knows bitcoin may give it to us soon. It was still us who will decide.

Tagz
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█ █▀▀▀ █
█  ▄██ █
█ ██▀  █
█ ▄▄▄█ █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 05:42:18 AM

Warren is a mogul no doubt but at the same time he is not always correct. Even in the course of his life, he won't say he was all right in investment making decision and he also didn't invest in all companies of the world that turned gold mine. If this comment is anything to go by then its a good news after all considering him not calling it an outright scam but rather something so common to any form of investment and that is speculation and by making that statement, he has indirectly given bitcoin a status among investments.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:28:02 PM

I get what Warren Buffet is saying and I have a lot of respect for him and what he has accomplished. I don’t see a problem with calling it speculation when we buy cryptocurrencies. I think it’s a matter of semantics whether it’s investing or speculation. By his definition though, most people that buy stocks or mutual funds are speculating as well, rather than investing.
Opnsrc

Activity: 1064
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 09:29:47 AM

You know, to be a very rich person does not mean to be very smart. Warren Buffet simply does not know much about the cryptocurrency, and he does not know a lot about Bitcoin.
automaticmoney

Activity: 420
Merit: 18

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 07:46:06 AM

Warren Buffet was never right on technology price growth whether it is tech stocks and or bitcoin we no need to consider in warren buffet statements
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 01:18:48 PM

I kinda incline to agree with warren buffet because of two main reasons.

First of all he is a value investors so when he invests into something he neeeds to calculate how much the stock worth in value and how much is the price so he could invest directly considering the price and value and if the price is lower than the value he grabs his check book and writes a big fat check to buy some of that companies stock, secondly he is really old and his way of investing has worked for him for decades now which means he doesn't need to check the new investing methods for people that are 50 years younger than him.

Students buy crypto and they are 20 year olds, warren is 80+ years old, that is 4 times the life difference so why would warren go into something that is new tech? So I agree that "bitcoin is not investing" but I agree that "bitcoin is not investing FOR HIM".

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
sevenjoy

Activity: 82
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 12:45:54 PM

Warren Buffet was never right on technology price growth whether it is tech stocks and or bitcoin we no need to consider in warren buffet statements
Funny enough, what he has refused to point out is the facts that even other investments that he has mentioned, at the end, you are definitely going to be expecting that someone else will be able to value it more than you have and be ready to pay more for it.

Unfortunately for him, he may not understand the real value that bitcoin creates as currency and for that reason, if he cannot see in the long run that people can easily value the usage of it than currency, then he might just be living in his own fool’s paradise.
St4yInTh3D4rk

Activity: 686
Merit: 264

"STAY IN THE DARK"

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

Bitcoin is not an investment so if someone consider it as an investment and investing on it then they need to understand the risk,this is like the gambling but there are lot of people buying bitcoins on the hope that in future more people will use bitcoins so its value will increase when the adoption will get increased so the early adopters consider it as an investment strategy.

bustadice         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
[bustadice.
Play
bustadice]

Hero/Legendary
..bustadice..              ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 06:49:18 PM

It doesn't matter much if he's right or wrong, especially when you take into consideration that the companies he invest in offer him exposure to a wide variety of industries, including tech. In other words, if tech booms as it has been doing in the last few years, he's directly profiting from it as well. It basically applies to all industries since the companies he invest in are pretty diverse in nature.

Also don't forget that Berkshire Hathaway has stakes in various banks as well, including Goldman Sachs. If Goldman Sachs manages to have Bitcoin generate insane amounts of profits eventually, Warren Buffett will again profit, and that while he (at least in the media) heavily dislikes Bitcoin.
rainezerr

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

ADAB ADAB ADAB ADAB

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 10:16:17 PM

Funny enough, what he has refused to point out is the facts that even other investments that he has mentioned, at the end, you are definitely going to be expecting that someone else will be able to value it more than you have and be ready to pay more for it.

Unfortunately for him, he may not understand the real value that bitcoin creates as currency and for that reason, if he cannot see in the long run that people can easily value the usage of it than currency, then he might just be living in his own fool’s paradise.

In my own opinion, warren buffet does not have an accurate prediction, most of the people who predict cryptocurrency are not actually reaching the exact price but still the positive about the prediction is that it grows up.

Yaunfitda

Activity: 2828
Merit: 575

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 03:03:53 AM

Bitcoin is not an investment so if someone consider it as an investment and investing on it then they need to understand the risk,this is like the gambling but there are lot of people buying bitcoins on the hope that in future more people will use bitcoins so its value will increase when the adoption will get increased so the early adopters consider it as an investment strategy.

You have to understand that the bitcoin market has evolved. We can argue that Satoshi wanted it to be a on-line payment method. But when people started to realized that it can be used as investments or store of value, then the whole ball game has change. That's why in the last 3-5 years, it really attracted a lot of so called investors that's why the price goes on and almost touch $20K last year.

I would love to see bitcoin being used by casual people like buying things in groceries and stuff on-line. But its not what we are seeing right now. It become a investment instrument that's why adoption is very slow. No one is actually using it but investors/traders/speculators.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Indrawan77

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 05:46:22 AM

Well for me its still an investment, bitcoin can give me profit, so its mean that bitcoin is an investment, its true that we are speculating, but investing in stock can also be said as speculation, for now maybe its just investment but when bitcoin already being accepted as transaction payment and people realise its technology usage then bitcoin will become very valuable, so investing in bitcoin is not only about the price but we also invest in the technology to make our lives better
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 07:02:53 AM

Bitcoin will take food from this guy's table and that is why they are doing everything to bring it down.  For us that has benefits from cryptocurrencies and bitcoin in particular we are seeing bitcoin as investments.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 07:15:38 AM

Bitcoin will take food from this guy's table and that is why they are doing everything to bring it down.  For us that has benefits from cryptocurrencies and bitcoin in particular we are seeing bitcoin as investments.

They can not bring BTC down. What they will do is continue talking it down to accumulate themselves as much as they can. The smart ones of the 1% who understand Bitcoin to a certain degree, know this is a train they can not stop.
Topcarey

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:40:30 AM

You know, to be a very rich person does not mean to be very smart. Warren Buffet simply does not know much about the cryptocurrency, and he does not know a lot about Bitcoin.
Yeah! They want to talk but they really do not even have a single clue what makes cryptocurrency what it is. It is a means of payment which actually brings some level of freedom compared to the way banks have always operated and it is more like going back to the old age of trade by barter but in this case digital form without no third party.

This is the value people will get to see eventually and would make them invest more into bitcoin and if he has failed to see that, then, he may actually be dumber than I thought.
ginellis

Activity: 85
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 01:02:54 PM

Grin Grin I doubt if it will. It is not like this man really has more years to live anyway in this world. Not like I am praying death for him, but he is getting old and we all know what happens when someone is getting close to the days of hitting the grave. However he wants to see it, I believe at this stage, no one cares.

The blockchain space has created jobs, people are getting to do well for themselves, they can easily make transactions without any issue, it is a decentralized market, and one way it is tied to a solution and if he has failed to see that value, I guess he would not be able to understand or he is simply just too old to understand.
guoyu78

Activity: 1190
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 09:48:39 AM

Well for me its still an investment, bitcoin can give me profit, so its mean that bitcoin is an investment, its true that we are speculating, but investing in stock can also be said as speculation, for now maybe its just investment but when bitcoin already being accepted as transaction payment and people realise its technology usage then bitcoin will become very valuable, so investing in bitcoin is not only about the price but we also invest in the technology to make our lives better
Every market is bound to be subject to speculation, so whatever warren wants to say is not really relevant and he knows that. He just wish he was still young enough to be a part of this space, but unfortunately for him, his days are numbered and the last time I checked, no one wants to be banking their future on an old man who relatively has made huge of his money from fiat anyway.

He would rather be so concerned about the other traditional investment he has been used to, than wrap his head round something he would not even be able to understand or be a part of in the long run.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: