Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:59:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help fixing a Laptop!  (Read 932 times)
TheRealJonnySmithers (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 01:52:43 AM

So one of my friends got into a fight and it ended up with a broken laptop. Apparently, the person pulled out the tray that's inside the cd drive and it screwed up everything.
The cracked screen seems to be only happening in the interior cause the exterior feels perfectly fine.
Also, the area around the cracks had dark patches and it eventually expanded into the whole screen.

https://i.imgur.com/gI7kaDwl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JruuYlel.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fIc88tQl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eDxBRe8l.jpg

My friend was going to throw this laptop away, but I decided to try and salvage it.
Where do I go about finding the replacement parts? And how much would you say it will all cost?
Any help would be appreciated! Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:13:38 AM

buy the screen on ebay, it should be about $45 for it. you first need to remove your screen and look at the back (to see what model it is). once you find that, search it up on ebay. removing the screen is usually pretty simple.

or you could just search up the laptop's model "HP DMXXX replacement screen." i recommend you disassemble the broken screen first though, so you can confirm that replacement isn't too labor intensive.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:14:18 AM

get the model number of the laptop and then search on google for a screen for it. you can easily get a replacement cd drive on ebay

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:27:07 AM

Hey thanks for the tips! So the model is HP G42-303DX. Would I also need to buy the optical drive as well, or just the screen?
beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:31:35 AM

Hey thanks for the tips! So the model is HP G42-303DX. Would I also need to buy the optical drive as well, or just the screen?

you would have to open up the computer out to see if the ribbon ruined any of the pins or the connector. if it's a cheap laptop, i wouldn't even bother though.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:31:46 AM

yeah, you need a new drive, that ribbon cable is toast

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:33:04 AM

yeah, you need a new drive, that ribbon cable is toast

seems like you may be right, unless there's a way to replace the ribbon on the DVD drive.. i've never opened one up, so i wouldn't know.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:35:34 AM

no, they are pretty disposable, new one is only $35 or something if you don't need blu ray

you have a miniature phillips screwdriver?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:36:53 AM

what would be the point in buying a new one if all that needs to be replaced is the ribbon then?
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:38:41 AM

what would be the point in buying a new one if all that needs to be replaced is the ribbon then?

good luck finding it, those parts are highly integrated and considered disposable by the manufacturers

found a good link for you

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-g42-or-compaq-presario-cq42-laptop/

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:41:25 AM

Thank you Jesus! Cheesy
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:45:37 AM

now, if this is your first laptop disassembly a few pointers;

you got a camera? take pics as you go

lock the fucking cat out of your room

get a big sheet of paper, collect the fasteners from each step in little piles and draw a circle around them with a note of where they go

go easy, some plastic parts will probably be snap together and will have to be pried apart, a butterknife often works but have patience and feel around, don't force it

fucking CAREFUL with the cables and connectors, if you aren't sure how something comes apart come back and ask

beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:47:41 AM

taking pictures is a very good idea. i took apart a laptop 2 months ago, and when i re-assembled, i had a few extra screws leftover  Cheesy

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:50:59 AM

Got it! Thanks for the help guys
beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 02:51:55 AM

also don't forget to get a ziplock bag.. those screws are very small and can easily be misplaced.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:02:55 AM

You need to remove 1 screw on the bottom of the laptop to get the DVD caddy out. You just slot a new unit in, and replace the screw.

There are videos of how to replace the screen on YouTube it's a bit more complicated.

jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:05:10 AM

You need to remove 1 screw on the bottom of the laptop to get the DVD caddy out. You just slot a new unit in, and replace the screw.

yeah, but he needs the LCD panel out too, which means the VGA cable has to come off the mobo, which means usually he has to split the case, though I have seen some where you could reach the connector from under the keyboard.

beetcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:07:17 AM

yeah, but he needs the LCD panel out too, which means the VGA cable has to come off the mobo, which means usually he has to split the case, though I have seen some where you could reach the connector from under the keyboard.

i replaced an LCD panel.. never removed any VGA cable from the mobo. it was a fairly straightforward task. took 5-10 minutes.

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:10:19 AM

Question!
Is it this the ribbon that was ripped?
http://www.amazon.com/Video-Ribbon-Flex-Cable-DD0AX1LC001/dp/B007G4O71Q
And if I replace it, would I still need to buy the lcd and the drive?
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:14:07 AM

Question!
Is it this the ribbon that was ripped?
http://www.amazon.com/Video-Ribbon-Flex-Cable-DD0AX1LC001/dp/B007G4O71Q
And if I replace it, would I still need to buy the lcd and the drive?

no, that is a VGA cable, I really don't think you are going to find parts for that optic drive

and yes, your LCD is broken all to shit...lol

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: