Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:22:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Low-Volume Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 10125 times)
morpheus

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

Bitcoin for Paypal! Too good an opportunity to refuse.

Sorry but I just bought all your bitcoins  Smiley Left a tip though.

Site works perfectly, very quick and easy.

You can buy more bitcoin with Paypal from me: http://bitcoinmorpheus.tumblr.com/how_to_buy_bitcoin_with_paypal

I have a $500 limit on purchases. Also, there is a 3 day waiting period for delivery. However, you get today's price for your purchase.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
granrojo

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 08:11:44 PM

You can buy more bitcoin with Paypal from me: http://bitcoinmorpheus.tumblr.com/how_to_buy_bitcoin_with_paypal

I have a $500 limit on purchases. Also, there is a 3 day waiting period for delivery. However, you get today's price for your purchase.

My Paypal account is not verified! I believe the only way to get verified in the UK is by giving Paypal access to my bank account; I can't think of anybody that I would trust less with my bank account.
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 09:25:24 PM

My Paypal account is not verified! I believe the only way to get verified in the UK is by giving Paypal access to my bank account; I can't think of anybody that I would trust less with my bank account.

Are you saying that your bank account number is a secret that you can't trust Papal to know?

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 09:30:19 PM

Are you saying that your bank account number is a secret that you can't trust Papal to know?

Yes.

PayPal has a nasty habit of doing ACH transfers FROM people's bank accounts when those transfers are unwanted, and there's no way to stop it except to not give them the bank account number in the first place.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Anonymous

February 25, 2011, 09:31:55 PM

Heh, it's a good thing I keep nothing but the minimum balance in my bank account. All my savings are in Bitcoin and Silver.
granrojo

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 09:59:35 PM

Pretty much. Yes.

The stupid thing is I couldn't care less who else knows my bank account details, but not Paypal.

In the UK we call it a Direct Debit, they can be set up electronically and they come with a guarantee that if money is taken from your account without your permission then your bank will automatically refund you.

But, of course, if you verify your Paypal account then they can produce a 24,000 word user agreement that proves that they are not acting fraudulently, and in fact you did give your permission.

Other than that it's a very convenient service!
Quip (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 03:20:06 AM

Thanks for your purchase!
Quip (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 03:21:10 AM

Heh, it's a good thing I keep nothing but the minimum balance in my bank account. All my savings are in Bitcoin and Silver.

What happens if PayPal overdraws your account?
semyazza

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 06:00:59 AM

What happens if when PayPal overdraws your account?

Corrected for accuracy.
granrojo

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 12:43:52 PM

What happens if PayPal overdraws your account?

That is an issue between you and your bank.

Mine would probably bounce the Direct Debit and charge me £12 for the privilege. Another bank may pay the Direct Debit and then charge an unauthorised overdraft fee!
nikonoel

Activity: 22

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 09:40:17 PM

Hi, I've noticed that the site is down for maintenance... everything's OK? Can you drop us an answer on this thread when it's up again?

Thanks!
Quip (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2011, 11:37:23 PM

I've run into a bunch of trouble maintaining it, and I honestly don't have time. I may bring it back eventually, but for now use CoinPal.
yomi

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 14, 2011, 09:45:29 AM

I've run into a bunch of trouble maintaining it, and I honestly don't have time. I may bring it back eventually, but for now use CoinPal.

Quip, sorry to hear that.

I used your service and liked it a lot.

As I have thought about running a similar service myself, can you elaborate on the trouble you had? Also, would you consider making your software Open Source?

Thanks!
BitAlBit

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 12, 2011, 11:23:35 PM

I see. There doesn't appear to be any defense, so I'll just accept the risk. Good think Bitcoin doesn't have chargebacks!

EUREKA! It works! I have one more bitcoin!

The defense against Paypal chargebacks is to not use Paypal at all.

Paypal only works when the receiver trusts the spender.

As a consumer protection feature, Paypal allows buyers to back out of trade and charge back their purchase. Users might cry that they did not get what they paid for, or they may claim their account was cracked or phished. Paypal will take the money back from the receiver.

As a seller, it's easy to trust someone who is buying a service that can't easily be resold, such as a subscription. 

With something liquid, the classic example being the mail order laptop, it's harder to trust the spender. What is to stop him from charging back after the hardware is shipped?

In the case of trading Paypal for cash money, like bitcoin, it's very hard to trust the spender. Nothing is more liquid than digital currency. It belongs to the bearer, as does cash. It's easily traded into anything you can imagine. It's liquidity is very attractive to phishers and scammers.

There is a whole army of thieves who understand this and will steal from you Quip. This is an old problem and has been addressed so very often by every digital currency in use, past and present.

When you start verifying and validating and ID ing and KYC ing and AML ing and on and on, you completely undo the benefit that the digital currency delivers. It's no longer private. Privacy is the necessity that did mother this invention. It's no longer cheap. All that checking and validating and getting to know someone is time consuming and expensive. In the end, you will be wrong about some users and you will be the only one to pay for those errors.

Now you are an exchanger; you are effectively upgrading the hardness of your users' money. The buck stops with you. You are the firewall against fraud.

Good luck and best wishes.

thanks completely for these notions,
so: pratically,
i'm italian, i'd like to buy and sell bitcoin, what would be my best choice?
excuse me but it’s days i’m reading about Bitcoin (trying to understand as much as i can.. i’m italian..),
and i still don’t get HOW to buy and then HOW to reSell my bitcoin.

could you explain/ make clear (and just easier) to me?
E.G.:
I find one who sell 100bitcoin, and i buy it sending my money through paypal[NOW YOU SAID NO SURE SO..?](this one will get a % of a translation , isn’t it?)
and the (HOPEFUL) person will charge my bitcoin with the address & string..

then:
if i’d like to sell, i should write a post on forum , HOPE that someone will buy and then send my bitcoin to the string buyer and TRUST that he’ll charge my paypal[NOT SURE EITHER SO?]??

how does these exchanges works? (IS IT SURE PAYPAL?) What would you suggest me to do for buy like 100bitcoin and resell in a future?

thanks REALLY in advance if you could try to answer me

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: