Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:27:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 5 BTC enough to save for 2 or 3 years?  (Read 6454 times)
donbu7 (OP)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:22:20 AM

What do you think is it enough 5 BTC or is to little.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 03:31:49 AM

enough for what?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:33:13 AM

Remember there are seven billion people in the world, and only 12 million bitcoins.
JayDT

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:05:35 AM

When asking for investing advice you need to give a bit more info for others to work with.  What is 5 BTC as a % of your long term retirement savings?

Everybody is in a different situation and 5 BTC might mean borrowing $4000 from the bank to invest to one person (which would be stupidity) and to somebody else it might mean scraping up some loose change in their cupboard. 

Bitcoin is a high risk move.  If you have a portfolio built, I would say only dedicate 10% of it towards high risk opportunities and not all of it on Bitcoin.  If you have $5000 saved and that took you a couple years to build up, the last thing I would do is dump it all in Bitcoin.  If you have $500 in your bedroom and if you don't buy Bitcoin, it's going to end up in some strippers g-string this weekend, I would invest $400 in Bitcoin and keep and $100 for necessititties.

Investing is first and foremost about wealth preservation.  I think the worst thing to come out of Bitcoin is the amateur approach to investing in it.  Don't compare yourself to the next guy.  Don't ask how much somebody owns to gauge how much you feel you should own, ask what % of their savings are dedicated to Bitcoin and what buying strategy is recommended at the current price levels.

My advice, if you determine you want to invest $2000 into Bitcoin, buy in tranches.  Pick up $100 US worth every 3 days or so and be scheduled about it (unless you understand technical charting and can time entries a bit better than going blind) until you've invested $2000.   Investing everything at once will just have you losing sleep at night.  If you're jumping up in the morning to check prices or up late worried it's going to drop, you've over invested.  Don't regret not going 100% in at once if it goes up 20% in the next few days, it could have gone down 20% just as fast. 

Currently we are reaching for previous highs.  Not exactly the best time to drop your whole load but at the same time not a bad time to move 5% of your investment into BTC.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:09:59 AM

Enough for your own private island and a nuclear powered yacht to commute to it?  Probably not.

Enough to retire on a nice horse ranch and drive BMWs?  yeah

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:17:01 AM

I recommend that you heed JayDT's advice and ignore the others.

Unfortunately the majority here seem to be slavering nutters whose delusional projections just happened to by sheer chance, land them on the very right side of a trade that has turned out to be the undisputed investment opportunity of the 21st century. While they may have been right, (through complete fluke), it certainly don't make em wise.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
CounterStrike

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:55:06 AM

Should be enough, but you will to have more when it hit 1million each...
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:01:13 AM

When asking for investing advice you need to give a bit more info for others to work with.  What is 5 BTC as a % of your long term retirement savings?

Everybody is in a different situation and 5 BTC might mean borrowing $4000 from the bank to invest to one person (which would be stupidity) and to somebody else it might mean scraping up some loose change in their cupboard. 

Bitcoin is a high risk move.  If you have a portfolio built, I would say only dedicate 10% of it towards high risk opportunities and not all of it on Bitcoin.  If you have $5000 saved and that took you a couple years to build up, the last thing I would do is dump it all in Bitcoin.  If you have $500 in your bedroom and if you don't buy Bitcoin, it's going to end up in some strippers g-string this weekend, I would invest $400 in Bitcoin and keep and $100 for necessititties.

Investing is first and foremost about wealth preservation.  I think the worst thing to come out of Bitcoin is the amateur approach to investing in it.  Don't compare yourself to the next guy.  Don't ask how much somebody owns to gauge how much you feel you should own, ask what % of their savings are dedicated to Bitcoin and what buying strategy is recommended at the current price levels.

My advice, if you determine you want to invest $2000 into Bitcoin, buy in tranches.  Pick up $100 US worth every 3 days or so and be scheduled about it (unless you understand technical charting and can time entries a bit better than going blind) until you've invested $2000.   Investing everything at once will just have you losing sleep at night.  If you're jumping up in the morning to check prices or up late worried it's going to drop, you've over invested.  Don't regret not going 100% in at once if it goes up 20% in the next few days, it could have gone down 20% just as fast. 

Currently we are reaching for previous highs.  Not exactly the best time to drop your whole load but at the same time not a bad time to move 5% of your investment into BTC.
This is good advice.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:35:45 AM

Probably not...

If you still want to invest, invest the amount you are ready to lose. Or minimise your losses when time comes to it...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:57:06 AM

work it out as a % of your savings
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:58:44 AM

if/when btc hits $10,000 you will have $50,000.  keep in mind that by the time we hit 10k it will require massive amounts of fiat to be flowing into btc than are today. you could be waiting a while depending on how strong your hands are.
Robbert BTC

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 12:33:03 PM

Probably not...

If you still want to invest, invest the amount you are ready to lose. Or minimise your losses when time comes to it...

Ekaros is right: investing is about money preservation, willing to lose everything you can afford and patience. If you have 5 BTC now, and you make some side money or have a day job, keep it Smiley If 5 BTC is all you have, and you're worrying about going to the supermarket in 5 days? Sell it. In my opinion, the price of bitcoin will rise in the coming years . Right now its to "new" , that is why its so volatile. The rise it had the last weeks, and which was really profitable for some  Cool, will probably fall. Short term investing without any knowledge or without any perception of risk in volatile markets can mean bye bye to your nice 5 BTC. Planning to keep it for a few years is probably going to give you slow but rewarding profits. Best thing i would do? Leverage your 5BTC in the S&P500 right now, wait until BTC dropped low once more and when it starts climbing again, jump in. You might see some really nice money growing from the S&P500, and then again from the rise of your BTC, and you might end up with 7-9BTC in the coming 7 months Smiley

Just a tip: trading stocks and indexes without any knowledge or understading might wipe all your earnings and more, so be careful. If you really want to invest, ask somebody you trust to do it for you at a % of the profit. And even that does not guarantee profits!

Good luck Smiley
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:09:10 PM

I recommend that you heed JayDT's advice and ignore the others.

Unfortunately the majority here seem to be slavering nutters whose delusional projections just happened to by sheer chance, land them on the very right side of a trade that has turned out to be the undisputed investment opportunity of the 21st century. While they may have been right, (through complete fluke), it certainly don't make em wise.

You could say that about professional athletes who come from humble beginnings but hit the genetic lottery. They find themselves with huge salaries and "friends" who would like nothing more than take advantage, not to mention beautiful women who would like 50%. I read somewhere that a very large percentage of NFL freshmen go bankrupt in the first years of being nouveau rich. Same goes with lotto winners. All that money suddenly finds themselves in a heap of trouble as everyone wants a piece.

So you're right, but my point is that they may not  stay wealthy for a variety of reasons. And they surely don't represent the majority here, you're wrong about that.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:34:00 PM

I have 5btc right now (mining super slow) so I'm unable to quickly build up what I spent recently.

That said, I'm also dumping $100 from my paycheck every two weeks into buying bitcoins.  Instead of my 401k allocation, my wife agreed to let me try this for a year and we'll evaluate when that time is up, and maybe rebalance after that.   $100 doesn't seem like much, I know, but we've had to batten down the hatches since she lost her job so I had to lower my 401k allocation. 

I'm in the process of trying to get my 401k company to add bitcoins to available funds so that I can get the pre-tax benefit of the 401k plus the awesome returns of bitcoins, and get my 50% company match Smiley
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 09:39:32 PM

Remember there are seven billion people in the world, and only 12 million bitcoins.

sounds nice but isnt true at all. you will never reach all. millions of millions dont even have internet access. hopefully we can reach 30 % of it.

invest what you can afford to lose.

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:48:41 PM

if BTC is your only form of savings...then i'd say no.  If BTC is one of your saving instruments, then yes, why not! 
Also, it depends what your expectations are like everyone else said.

Davyd05

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:07:00 AM

sounds nice but isnt true at all. you will never reach all. millions of millions dont even have internet access. hopefully we can reach 30 % of it.

invest what you can afford to lose.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

but 2.4 billion do.. and even if even 10% of those users do , it is 240 million people or ( that wasn't with the current supply i used the full 21 million ) 0.05btc per person.. not going to speculate worth.. but if 10% of current internet users wanted some bitcoin we'd be stuck to 0.05 per person.

Proud Hodler, neither bull nor bear.
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 01:29:22 PM

Not everyone want Bitcoin, some want litecoin, primecoin etc....
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:44:34 PM

I'm waiting for the govcoin or eurocoin Grin

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 02:02:03 PM

I'm waiting for the govcoin or eurocoin Grin

Govcoin? Naaaah, bad features: unlimited, value based by gov, slow and boring  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: