Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:03:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP! ELECTRUM crashed & now I've lost my BTC!!  (Read 5992 times)
zonts (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:52:10 AM

Hey everyone!
I sure hope I didn't ACTUALLY lose my coins but I am at the extent of my knowledge here so please help if you can.  I am new to Electrum and to wallets, although I've had them for years but never used them due to the fear of this very thing.....  Thanks in advance!

-So I got some BTC via the localbitcoins.com website today.

-Next, I installed electrum on CPU and I restored my Wallet from my seed.

- I chose to receiving addresses and marked them priority and labeled them

- then sent my coins from my localbitcoins.com wallet to the 2 electrum wallet addresses I labeled,
and have the record of both transactions on my acct page at localbtcs.com, It says the transactions are complete and I have $0 in my acct at that site now.

- Electrum showed both transactions were pending and I think I saw one got the completed status when my computer crashed and restarted!!@!

Thanks and ay help as quickly as possible is appreciated I am about to curse the BTC this is my 3rd time losing a lot of $ due to varied B.S. of some sort in a month!  I have been using BTC for 2 years!  Never a problem til now.... 

Zonts

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:23:26 AM

Relax. Assuming you sent to the addresses generated by your Electrum wallet, you have no worries. The coins are not actually just in your computer, but are on the blockchain, jargon which means that the data is distributed to every computer in the world which is running the full client. When you solve your computer problems and bring up Electrum, the coins should be there, looking at you cool as a cucumber.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:45:27 AM

Whew (kinda)!  That is good news but how do I use them.... for instance I need to send them to another wallet now and realize now that if they go the same wallet im best off doing 1 transaction to save money.  I thought wallets were for that purpose and let you manage the coins r whatever so could I somehow merge the two wallet addy's b4 I send them off to spend?
How do I take the coin out of my wallet address and get the coin into another?
Thanks for the reply
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 08:54:53 AM

May a payment to yourself to a different address

Can you update the title of this thread? It describes something that is not what really happened to you.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:34:19 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2013, 05:00:40 PM by zonts

okay I went to Blockchain and entered the addresses of my missing URLS or codes  and Yes they are there somewhere out there as far a I can tell, but I  don't have any way to SEND them to my other wallet address like ive been trying to do since late last night. 

The page that loads when I search for my wallet addy's has the header:

"Addresses are identifiers which you use to send bitcoins to another person."

Here I can see BTC Amount in each wallet is right, so I can VIEW my missing wallet Addy's (or are these the transactions, stored within?) and see everything adds up to show they are still in existence, sure.  I don't see any ways for me to send them from where they are now to a website's wallet address or top any for that Matter?

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

I could be losing a lot o my rent $ as we speak so if anyone can helpa ASAP pls do..
- THANKS
bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

If you think Electrum wallet got corrupted on crash try to restore from seed (12 words you got when first creating wallet):

Open Electrum go to File > Create/Restore and create a new file and restore from seed. Then wait for sync.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Ive done that a fw times already and somehow dont' have just one seed file to check now...  there are multiple. 

I DO have the same one that I used to restore the wallet minutes b4 I the crash which happen within a min of me using the seed to install them.  I just wonder if the crash during a transaction is the reason this is happening?

cant I just use that wallet address, the tx id and all the othrr stuff at localbitcoins.com site along with the seed phrase somehiow?
btcven

Activity: 715

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

@zonts can you start all over and explain clearly what you want to do and what do you have? I don't understand anything that you've said.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 09:41:27 PM

Ive done that a fw times already and somehow dont' have just one seed file to check now...  there are multiple.  

I DO have the same one that I used to restore the wallet minutes b4 I the crash which happen within a min of me using the seed to install them.  I just wonder if the crash during a transaction is the reason this is happening?

cant I just use that wallet address, the tx id and all the othrr stuff at localbitcoins.com site along with the seed phrase somehiow?

NO! Never put your seed on a website. As flagel8 said you need to calm down. You will likely make mistakes that will cost you your coins if you go on like this.

You will need a computer to spend your coins. So first fix your PC or use a laptop or smartphone (electrum works on android - check out electrum.org/download.html). As long as you have the seed you can restore your wallet on any TRUSTED device you OWN and then spend the coins.

zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:38:38 PM

Okay guys you are right and my haste is what got me here in first place.  However I have my seed and have restored 10+ times and tried it all I'm thinking. but lets got step by step.

So from the beginning:

Where do we start?

I have a screean shot of the actual words when I first got them, so what info do you need?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:12:58 AM

Okay guys you are right and my haste is what got me here in first place.  However I have my seed and have restored 10+ times and tried it all I'm thinking. but lets got step by step.

So from the beginning:

Where do we start?

I have a screean shot of the actual words when I first got them, so what info do you need?

As mentioned before you must *never* reveal the seed to anyone.

First do you have a working PC? What machine are you using to restore the wallet from the seed?

When you restore via the seed do you see a) all the transactions or b) some of the transactions? Also is  the balance accurate? Do you see the address you sent the coins to in the list of addresses on the receive tab?
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:58:42 AM

So from the beginning:

Where do we start?

Make sure you are not misspelling the seed. You should have copied and pasted the seed as txt document so you could have restored it with copy and paste again.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:50:58 AM

Ive done that a fw times already and somehow dont' have just one seed file to check now...  there are multiple. 

What do you mean by that? That you have multiple seeds therefore? If so check them all one by one untill you find out the wallet that includes the correct addresses.

Note that as a seed is considered the complete sentence of the 12 words. This is what you must use to restore your wallet.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:55:56 PM

Okay away we go!  I am hopeful and thankful for all your help.

As mentioned before you must *never* reveal the seed to anyone.

First do you have a working PC? What machine are you using to restore the wallet from the seed?

When you restore via the seed do you see a) all the transactions or b) some of the transactions? Also is  the balance accurate? Do you see the address you sent the coins to in the list of addresses on the receive tab?

My PC is ready to go w/ recently wiped hd fresh win7sp 64 bit installed.  But that was the only transaction I tried w/ electrum,  (so far I give it 1 star... for
its forum members otherwise it sucks lol) so I wouldn't have much history, but balance is $0 should be different than that for sure.
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:05:22 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2013, 05:49:03 PM by zonts

What do you mean by that? That you have multiple seeds therefore? If so check them all one by one untill you find out the wallet that includes the correct addresses.

Note that as a seed is considered the complete sentence of the 12 words. This is what you must use to restore your wallet.

Yeah SORRY, I meant I have multiple files in random places name 'default wallet' and they open to different wallets.
Does one have to do any sort of backup or "Save" or anything in order to back up each transaction? Because it was so fast, but I had been labeling my wallet addresses and customizing and going through preferences prior to CPU crash and the first thing I did was start Eletrum when I restarted, but only to find an empty wallet with new addresses.

**Updated**
I don't know if it matters, but I I used the standalone/portable version when the cpu crashed.

Basically I know this:

I have the "Tx numbers and every code imaginable from localbitcoins.com, and when I install programs or do anything where I will have a password, username, a list of 12 words in a particular order, etc... I always take a Screenshot of the said pass code or whatever, so I know I have the words in correct order etc....

So they should be opening the same wallet they did on the day the wallet crashed, only the difference is the balance is $0 and the wallet addresses in the list are different.

So, I am thinking that Ihad created a new wallet in the very beginning when, but I am positive I remember restoring the whole one wallet I ever created back in the summer that had lied dormant until now.  I had to use the very screenshot I mentioned earlier, so I have one Seed deal that has 12 words trhat brings me to wrong address.  I also have all the recrods of the transaction pone should need.  That's it, so ....:\

Can I still get my btcs'?

Thanks in advance
Eadeqa

Activity: 644

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:36:55 PM

Do you have a link to transaction tx on blockchain?

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:34:49 AM

Yes I do!
bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:49:34 AM

Yes I do!

You can post that transaction ID or the address here so we can see if you even have coins on that address. Nothing can be done with that transaction ID or address to recover coins.

Lets go step by step again:

Do you have the seed (12 words) from your crashed Electrum? If you have it - but do not post that 12 words here - you can recover all coins and all transactions by entering those 12 words on File>Create/Restore>Choose any name for new file> Restore wallet from seed. When you do that if Electrum connects to network and you can see that address on receive tab, coins should be there. If not: that was not correct seed for that wallet that crashed.

If you don't have those 12 words your only option is 'default_wallet' file from Electrum on your crashed PC.

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:51:24 AM

How much did you lose?
zonts (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:31:12 PM

You can post that transaction ID or the address here so we can see if you even have coins on that address. Nothing can be done with that transaction ID or address to recover coins.

Yes I sent the coins in 2 transactions, and both have plenty of "Verifications" or whatever to make it an official transaction (or are they called "confirmations"?).  And I have the history of the transaction in wallet on Localbtc.com which has the "Txid's" and amounts right there.  I see the blockchain site recognizes them with the correct balances.

Do you have the seed (12 words) from your crashed Electrum? If you have it - but do not post that 12 words here - you can recover all coins and all transactions by entering those 12 words on File>Create/Restore>Choose any name for new file> Restore wallet from seed. When you do that if Electrum connects to network and you can see that address on receive tab, coins should be there. If not: that was not correct seed for that wallet that crashed.

Yes I have the words and everytime I restore it brings up a different wallet.

If you don't have those 12 words your only option is 'default_wallet' file from Electrum on your crashed PC.

I have a bunch of those files so how do I restore from them?

How much did you lose?
It's only ($200) but $200 I need that WOULD be much more had I been able to access it but then again with the rising BTC value, I may be better off this way granted I get the coinage back at some point before any crash in the market or whatever you wanna call it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: