Print  
Author Topic: void  (Read 1373 times)
||bit (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:51:26 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 08:55:23 AM by ||bit

I'd like to do a quick survey of those that have unverified MtGox accounts that can not withdraw your bitcoins becasue it's not verified. The survey is to see who will either not verify (effectively losing said bitcoins) OR who would be willing to take a loss on those holdings rather than verify. If you're one that would rather take a loss than verify, what percentage loss are you willing to take - post that in a comment.

I'll put up a poll. It will be interesting to see how much btc is out there in this situation. There may be a simple solution outside of verification - one which does not require taking MtGox to court.

So, please consider to participate in the survey above if you have an unverified account with bitcoins that can not be withdrawn due to a need to verify first.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:23:50 AM

This is a very interesting poll

Quite intrigued to see what the data will look like...

||bit (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:00:15 AM

This is a very interesting poll

Quite intrigued to see what the data will look like...

Yeah, someone might be willing to buy all those accounts under value (due to some assumed risk & the effort to bother with it) and merge them. For that person's sake, it would be best if he/she lived in an income-tax free nation to avoid any tax complications. Anyway, I don't see any rule that explicitly states you can not transfer ownership of unverified accounts that you did not open. Only that you can't have a joint account. The MtGox verification pages opens up and states:

"Please be aware that your account is not currently verified.
All Mt. Gox user accounts are required to be verified in order to perform any deposits and withdrawals.
To become verified please complete the following form and submit identification documents to Mt.Gox. All fields must be filled out before a submission can be reviewed.
Required documentation :
- VALID Photo ID (Identity card, license, passport,...)
- Residence Proof (utility bill, tax return, insurance,... no bank statements)
ISSUED WITHIN 6 MONTHS
Attention : Your Mt.Gox account is PERSONAL. You must submit only your own documents. No family/friends co-ownership is allowed. If you want a "corporate" Mt.Gox account, please contact the support.
Note: Any information submitted is subject to Mt.Gox's privacy policy and as such will not be shared with any 3rd party, corporate partner, or agency external to Mt.Gox under any circumstances. Any documents collected will be accessed by Mt.Gox's staff only. Additional information may be found in our privacy policy. Be aware that once this form has been submitted, all attached documentation will be reviewed. This process may take up to 2 business days to complete, and you will be notified of the outcome of this review. One identity can only be linked to one account. If you have more than one account and wish to apply submit AML information for all of your accounts you will need to contact support to merge your accounts first."
nefron

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:06:20 AM

i have recently withdrawn my bitcoins from mtgox and my account is unverified. the limitation is not valid for transactions in bitcoin.
||bit (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:09:16 AM

i have recently withdrawn my bitcoins from mtgox and my account is unverified. the limitation is not valid for transactions in bitcoin.

What do you mean by "the limitation is not valid for transactions in bitcoin."?
nefron

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:30:41 AM

i mean u can send and receive bitcoins from unverified accounts, abiding to 1000 or 100btc rule which i dont remember exactly.
nefron

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:33:48 AM

at this point of time u can fund through bitcoin sell those in the market, buy back when price drops(kidding) and withdraw the coins to any personal wallet. in future they may need verification for that too.
Mattzees

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:45:28 AM

at this point of time u can fund through bitcoin sell those in the market, buy back when price drops(kidding) and withdraw the coins to any personal wallet. in future they may need verification for that too.

Not true.  I was allowed to open an unverified account, deposit BTC, trade back and forth to fiat, and then when I wanted to withdraw BTC, I was told my account had to be verified.  Lots of people have been having this problem lately.  It was only 2 BTC.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:53:21 AM

there seems to be conflicting information on this subject.  Some unverified accounts can indeed, at least as recently as a few days ago, transfer BTC out no problem.  Other accounts clearly can not.

I am starting to wonder if the police baton up Magical Tux's ass is getting twisted uncomfortably.  Are wallets with inputs traceable to SR wallets getting the shaft?  Is it recent accounts?  We need more data.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
nefron

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:30:38 AM

Then i guess the verification is necessary for new accounts. I started trading from february or march.
no name

Activity: 43

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:09:56 PM

Today I noticed that for weekend they extended verification waiting period from 5 working days or more to 10 wdays or more.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: