News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is This Thread a Good Idea?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All Things Considered:  (Read 2206 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:21:28 PM

Are you tired of hopping around this forum like a kangaroo on crack?

Imagine what some of the contributors have to go through hunting down threads that need addressing, let alone a new or casual reader trying to put the pieces together--all relating to an important topic--by gleaning hundreds of posts in a half dozen different threads.

Wouldn't it make better sense to have a one stop thread where, let's used Matthew with UABB as an example, can address the good, the bad and the ugly of his latest endeavor.

I envisioned such a thread titled:

All Things Considered: UABB

With this example, it would be created and manned by Matthew, saving him time and energy of not having to respond on several different threads. I offer this to Matt to pick up the mantle and lead by example.

If you don't like my example, then consider some of the following:

All Things Considered: (your new BTC related company here--shorten to ATC: if too long)
ATC: The Bitcoin Show on OnlyOneTV.com
All Things Considered: Mt. Gox
All Things Considered: TradeHill
All Things Considered: Bitcoin Wallets
All Things Considered: Flexcoin
All Things Considered: Dwolla
ATC: Why You Shouldn't Pee on Your Mining Rig

As you clearly see, this would work for any thread on every board. And when someone post a new thread, a member would kindly post the ATC link, then request to have the thread moved off the board (yes, I know that this is already being done, but I'm introducing a more methodical solution).

How could a one stop, All Things Considered:, thread not work?

But, if this is a bad idea, we still have this:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:24:58 PM

You are welcome to do this at TweetForum if they don't let you do that here. Good idea to keep everything nice and organized...
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:31:42 PM

You are welcome to do this at TweetForum if they don't let you do that here. Good idea to keep everything nice and organized...

Thank you for introducing me to TweetForum and for expressing that it's a good idea. There should be no problem with being allowed to do it here. For an example, if I owned BTCaccordions, I would create a thread entitled All Things Considered: BTCaccordions--a one stop place for me to address all questions and concerns related to BTCaccordions--a one stop place for readers to read the latest pertaining to BTCaccordions.

Thank you kindly for your input, FlipPro.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:32:09 PM

I think it's a good idea.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:34:25 PM

I don't know..
But something's stuck in my cloaca and it's sure to be something I've picked up in one of these threads.
I'll wait for the dingos to tear you up a bit before considering which side of the barbed wire to hop to.

That's a  meth 'meh' by the way.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:35:57 PM

I don't know..
But something's stuck in my cloaca and it's sure to be something I've picked up in one of these threads.
I'll wait for the dingos to tear you up a bit before considering which side of the barbed wire to hop to.

That's a  meth 'meh' by the way.

LMAO!!! I love your humor. That was humor, correct? Thank you kindly, julz, for your input.
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:40:34 PM

Isn't that what a wiki is for? Cheesy
Anonymous

August 04, 2011, 04:46:27 PM

Are you still harping on that tripe? It's a terrible forum, awful. Stop posting it. Make a thread about it, only post about it in there, have a link in your signature, and stop being just as annoying as MATTHEW M WRIGHT, please.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:50:56 PM

A wiki! What the hell was I thinking? I can easily glean all the threads related to Bitcon wallets, combine them, and put them in on a wiki. Then post a thread entitle Bitcoin Wallet Wiki showing the link to the wiki.

Was my original post not clear enough of what I proposed? I do thank you, Xephan, for your input.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 04:55:19 PM

Are you still harping on that tripe? It's a terrible forum, awful. Stop posting it. Make a thread about it, only post about it in there, have a link in your signature, and stop being just as annoying as MATTHEW M WRIGHT, please.

I'm staying out of this issue for I have no opinion one way or the other. But, as first glance, I thought you were directly the comment toward me till I saw what you quoted.
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:58:27 PM

A wiki! What the hell was I thinking? I can easily glean all the threads related to Bitcon wallets, combine them, and put them in on a wiki. Then post a thread entitle Bitcoin Wallet Wiki showing the link to the wiki.

Was my original post not clear enough of what I proposed? I do thank you, Xephan, for your input.

Sorry, somehow I got the wrong idea on the first read. Cheesy

Technically, I wouldn't say it's a good idea, huge threads are computationally expensive, slows down the server, which already lags to death occasionally.

Secondly, having a page full of "All things considered:" makes it harder to spot a relevant thread.

Information in a thread also become outdated and becomes a pain for anybody new to try to figure out if they should start from the beginning (and possibly spend hours reading irrelevant stuff) or just post a noob queston (and possibly get flamed for not reading).

I've been in forums where they are obsessive about pruning threads and not starting new ones... was a PITA.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 05:13:51 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 05:30:58 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Technically, I wouldn't say it's a good idea, huge threads are computationally expensive, slows down the server, which already lags to death occasionally.

Secondly, having a page full of "All things considered:" makes it harder to spot a relevant thread.

Information in a thread also become outdated and becomes a pain for anybody new to try to figure out if they should start from the beginning (and possibly spend hours reading irrelevant stuff) or just post a noob queston (and possibly get flamed for not reading).

I've been in forums where they are obsessive about pruning threads and not starting new ones... was a PITA.

There's validity in all your points, Xephan. But, I do see it as a little less clutter if some of the posters had a one stop thread. Like the example I used: If I own BTCaccordions, I would only respond, and post, to All Things Considered: BTCaccordions for the ease on my part and convenience for the readers having, and seeking, questions and concerns.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 01:36:55 AM

I'm for any system that can some how decrease the clutter. TradeHill did it with TradeHill - Who we are: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=19537.0 Perhaps others could follow their lead. It doesn't have to be All Things Considered:.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:54:12 AM

I assume that the mods can already merge multiple threads on the same topic into a single mega-thread.  The trick is to do it before the threads have too many posts so the merge retains coherence.  One problem with lots of mega-threads is that they tend to dominate the front page so other threads can end up pushed off very quickly.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 03:19:56 AM

Now, I want to apologize to you. When you wrote:

I thought you were in reference to Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure now that you meant Bitcoin's Wiki.
MrJoshua

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:22:08 AM

We should probably just spin off new forum categories for the big ones like exchanges, community services, bitcoin banks/online wallets, security, etc.

The value of bitcoins is not a theory, predictions of it's failure are what is theoretical.
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:32:14 AM

Don't whiz on the Mining Rig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wW6rENTfaU&feature=player_detailpage#t=192s
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 03:33:39 AM

We should probably just spin off new forum categories for the big ones like exchanges, community services, bitcoin banks/online wallets, security, etc.

This is a possibility if it would help reduce the clutter. I've even had problems with the search box on this forum with showing no results for a keyword sometimes. But when I resort to a Google search using "Site:https://bitcointalk.org Floccinaucinihilipilification" (without quotes or the keyword Floccinaucinihilipilification), a whole slew of results are generated.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 03:39:12 AM

Happy Happy Joy Joy Thank you for the YouTube link, epi 1:10,000.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 03:42:58 AM

I believe that in here lies a solution.

I assume that the mods can already merge multiple threads on the same topic into a single mega-thread.  The trick is to do it before the threads have too many posts so the merge retains coherence.  One problem with lots of mega-threads is that they tend to dominate the front page so other threads can end up pushed off very quickly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: