Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 04:37:32 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Website to help with some of your bitcoin queries!  (Read 526 times)
matt_boyd (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:33:37 PM

If you are new to bitcoin, and need some help, http://matt.coldcity.com/btc is the place for you. It's very simple and completely object in views. If you have an questions you would like to see added, or anything you want cleared up, feel free to comment underneath.

Thanks, Matt!
Martijnvdc

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:36:13 PM

Not bad.
The website itself looks a little bland though.
matt_boyd (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:45:53 PM

Not bad.
The website itself looks a little bland though.

If you can suggest anything, I am all ears.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:50:38 PM

Well, that ultimately is up to you, whether it is worth it or not. You should try and make up your own mind, check the charts on how it has generally been doing over the past day, week, month, year, etc. The only piece of advice that is unanimous within the bitcoin community is to only put in an amount which you wouldn't mind losing, as I said before, Bitcoin is a volatile market.

If I look through the page, I don't see anywhere before this where you say that bitcoin is a volatile market?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:55:49 PM

Therefore, the price of a dollar is not worth the same in MtGox, as they have all their customers money. However, the rest of the sites will only vary very slightly and that will be due to, for the most part, things out of their control, but they should be within dollars of each other.

Right now:
BitStamp = $842
BTC-E = $759
Coinbase = $850
BTCChina = $922

Please explain what you mean by "very slightly" and "within dollars".  In my experience these numbers don't fit the meaning of either of those phrases.
matt_boyd (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:56:18 PM

Well, that ultimately is up to you, whether it is worth it or not. You should try and make up your own mind, check the charts on how it has generally been doing over the past day, week, month, year, etc. The only piece of advice that is unanimous within the bitcoin community is to only put in an amount which you wouldn't mind losing, as I said before, Bitcoin is a volatile market.

If I look through the page, I don't see anywhere before this where you say that bitcoin is a volatile market?

Haha, very good point, I will change this ASAP.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 03:58:50 PM

If you highly regard security, therefore, like to be in total control of things yourself, I would suggest the Bitcoin-Qt client.

Of course if you "like to be in control of things yourself", you may become frustrated that Bitcoin-Qt doesn't provide coin control or the control of "change".
If you "highly regard security", you may become frustrated that Bitcoin-Qt leaves your private keys on an internet connected computer.

Perhaps a better wallet for those that "highly regard security" would be Armory?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:05:19 PM

I would suggest the Bitcoin-Qt client. This means that you are solely responsible for your own coins. If you format the computer, or in some way delete the bitcoin folder, your coins are gone forever. Additionally, you have to sync all of the blockchain, and this can be quite time consuming, and so others rather such wallets as Blockchain. This is an on-line wallet that keeps all wallets up-to-date and keeps your bitcoins safe for you. In essence, the decision is up to you.

With blockchain.info you are solely responsible for your own coins. You must maintain your own backups of the wallet, otherwise if the website were to become unavailable your coins would be gone forever.  If you lose or forget your password, your coins would be gone forever. The only two benefits you get from blockchain.info are access to your private keys from multiple locations, and eliminating the need to keep a synchronized copy of the blockchain.  If you are just trying to avoid the blockchain sync, you should consider Electrum.
Boelens

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 04:34:34 PM

Nice site, looks a bit bland though. Also, I agree bitcoin-Qt being high security but you might also want to list 'Armory'. And also list Electrum, you don't neccesarily have to download the chain OR use an online wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: