Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 04:34:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a Journalist Working on an Article Explaining Bitcoin What Should I Include?  (Read 509 times)
EzraLefko (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:01:51 PM

I'm working on a series of long form articles (1500-2k words) for a magazine based out of Baltimore, Maryland.  I'm excited to be publishing a series on Bitcoin and wanted to reach out to the community for feedback on what I should include.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:30:07 PM

The different possibilities of storing Bitcoins (blockchain.info, local clients, paper wallet, cold wallet) and their advantages/disadvantages.
This is an important topic that often gets too less coverage.
Elleria

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:49:19 PM

I'm working on a series of long form articles (1500-2k words) for a magazine based out of Baltimore, Maryland.  I'm excited to be publishing a series on Bitcoin and wanted to reach out to the community for feedback on what I should include.

I'd outline what it is, what it isn't, how it works, how it can be used, the advantages, disadvantages, and legality side of things.

Somewhere in there I'd mention the 550% price increase over the last 6 months, including the volatility and unsustainable growth issues. It can't increase like this forever, else 1 coin would end up being worth more than all the money in the world, so it has to level out, which in turn puts off those who are just in it to make money, so it absolutely must become a useful second/alternative currency in order to survive long term. Richard Branson accepting Bitcoin for Virgin Galactic is a sign that business leaders are starting to take interest, however imo right now it's mostly done for PR/Marketing than true belief. The software/infrastructure isn't really ready for mainstream adoption, with exchanges suffering numerous problems in recent weeks. Most of my money comes out via direct debit and I don't believe that kind of functionality exists yet; if utility companies started accepting it, as an option that provided some kind of further discount over DD, then that'd be a game changer and I've not seen much talk about that aspect yet.

This was typed very quickly, because I'm off to watch Dr Who Smiley
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:50:09 PM

be sure to mention that yes, BTC can be used for laundering or other illegal activities.. but it still pales in comparison to fiat/USD. the public should not demonize BTC for that reason, unless they are willing to do it to paper money as well.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:58:55 PM

Somewhere in there I'd mention the 550% price increase over the last 6 months, including the volatility and unsustainable growth issues.

Yeah and next to it throw all those success stories about guys that forgot that they bought bitcoins years ago and now they are millionaires  Tongue
PR Buzz ftw!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3299

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:32:05 PM

Please emphasize that Bitcoin is a payment system (with its own currency). The payment system is the most important part, but greed makes people forget.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
stemis

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:40:48 PM

I live in the Baltimore suburbs and would be willing to help you meet your goals with the article.  Just pm me!
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:49:38 PM

Please emphasize that Bitcoin is a payment system (with its own currency). The payment system is the most important part, but greed makes people forget.

Emphasizing in technical aspects is drop dead boring. Noone will care about bitcoin because it's a payment system no matter how much you stress all the innovations that brings to the table. You need something to draw their attention and then they 'll value all the technical breakthroughs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: