Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 01:25:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: creating bitcoin addresses seams not random - why?  (Read 564 times)
TomCoin (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:30:26 PM

well since i am a new member i can only ask in newbee forum.

i have written a tiny piece oft software which uses JSON RPC to create new bitcoin addresses in my wallet. i was trying to find a bitcoin address which stars with "1Tom.....". Just for fun and playing around with bitcoind.

After the software created A LOT bitcoin addresses it seems that some addresse occur more often than others.

F.E.

i found 7 addresses that startet with "1To" (3 chars)
i found 24 addresses that startet with "1pwc" (4 chars)
(not case sensitive)

then i deleted the wallet and startet again. same result. (4 times)

Why is that?

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

By "same result" you mean you got the same addresses after deleting wallet.dat? That is a Bad Thing. What OS are you on?
TomCoin (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:06:56 PM

no i did not get the same addresses after deleting the wallet.

but i seems that there are some starters like "1pw..." or "1bm..." are by far more often occuring than others like "1To". like 40 times more often.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:31:52 PM

How many addresses you created in total? Probably it's just variance  Tongue
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:34:28 PM

Bitcoin ADDRESSES are not PUBLIC KEYS.  Bitcoin ADDRESSES are a versioned and checksummed PUBLIC KEY encoded in base 58.  Due to the method of encoding in base 58 addresses aren't randomly distributed.

If you converted those addresses to their raw public keys they will be randomly distributed.
TomCoin (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:41:42 PM

well its a java tool running a endless while(true) since 6 hours. i cannot tell exactly how much Smiley

but thanks DeathAndTaxes, that explains it.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Bitcoin ADDRESSES are not PUBLIC KEYS.  Bitcoin ADDRESSES are a versioned and checksummed PUBLIC KEY encoded in base 58.  Due to the method of encoding in base 58 addresses aren't randomly distributed.

If you converted those addresses to their raw public keys they will be randomly distributed.

How are they distributed then if not randomly  Shocked
Maybe you mean that they don't follow a uniform distribution, but then what distribution they follow?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:12:42 PM

They are biased towards certain prefxes due to the effect of the version code.  If you wanted you could graph the distribution, I have never really cared enough I just remember from the vanityaddress thread this makes certain addresses harder to find. 

Just to be clear there is no security implication.  Public keys are randomly distributed.  Addresses are simply encoded public keys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: