Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:29:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting AMD APP 2.5 Overview  (Read 1215 times)
Beta-coiner1 (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:26:10 PM

I am no software coder but I get the impression from reading the overview of APP 2.5 that AMD is holding back a lot of possible mining potential w/ Radeons.XP support looks questionable in the future w/ regards to runtime updates but frequent updates to the runtime seem plausible.I found this most interesting and wondered if this could have a positive affect on mining ??

The compiler looks like it finally supports a variance of SSE3,SSE4 and AVX based CPUs should see a boost in speed when using the newest runtime.

Please note, that as of this driver release, AMD has yet to unlock the use of their 64 kiB on-chip Global Memory for inter-SIMD communication with a separate OpenCL extension in order to unleash the full potential of their GPUs. GPU-Computing programmers will have to take this limitation into account for their work. As you may have noticed, separate versions for Windows XP are no longer offered and the footnote on AMDs developer website that indicated XP support still being included in the 32 and 64 Bit installers respectively has disappeared. That seems to complete the discontinuance for Windows XP support in the APP SDK.Please note that the requirements for Linux versions have change also. For Ubuntu and Redhat you need versions 11.04 and 6.x respectively.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: