Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:05:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-23 OnBitcoin - Newegg Hints at Accepting Bitcoin  (Read 2042 times)
simonk83 (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:51:50 AM

In a tweet, consumer electronics powerhouse Newegg hinted that it is exploring the option of accepting Bitcoin.

https://twitter.com/Newegg/statuses/404299166261981184

It's a possibility, #staytuned Smiley RT @thedatascape: @Newegg Do you have any plans to add Bitcoin as one of your payment methods?

http://onbitcoin.com/2013/11/23/newegg-hints-accepting-bitcoin-consumer-electronics/

Bring it Smiley
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:01:36 AM

Here is a thought.  The more major merchants that accept bitcoin the wilder the exchange rate will be.  Merchants especially large one won't keep the coins they have to convert right away so that means large dumps on exchanges that might not get bought.  Or I could be wrong.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:13:32 AM

Here is a thought.  The more major merchants that accept bitcoin the wilder the exchange rate will be.  Merchants especially large one won't keep the coins they have to convert right away so that means large dumps on exchanges that might not get bought.  Or I could be wrong.

Planning to buy a billion dollar TV?
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 03:26:20 AM

Here is a thought.  The more major merchants that accept bitcoin the wilder the exchange rate will be.  Merchants especially large one won't keep the coins they have to convert right away so that means large dumps on exchanges that might not get bought.  Or I could be wrong.

LOL at "could be wrong"

Wait..... where do ppl get btc from again? ..... buying or mining ....

What you're implying is ..... no buying..... so mining then?

Ok then miners are spending their coins..... wooohoo..... wait whats the different if they sell btc and spend fiat?

oh... could you be ... more wrong?
geofflosophy

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 03:44:48 AM

Dunno what they're waiting for...
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:46:34 AM

I would definitely pounce on this.  Go Newegg Go!!!

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
User705
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:05:42 AM

I'm not but people generally shop at predictable times of day.  Newegg isn't worldwide and no merchants that currently are announcing that they are accepting bitcoin actually are planning to keep the bitcoins.  So either it's just publicity which is more likely because otherwise newegg would have to cash out a large amounts of coins on an exchange.  Maybe there are bids to buy them all and maybe not.  It adds to volatility. All these companies getting interested is great for bitcoin exposure but they aren't interested in keeping bitcoins as far as I have seen.

justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:15:28 AM

What if consumer electronics manufacturers in SE Asia are quietly telling their import partners they want bitcoins instead of dollars?
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:18:41 AM

What if consumer electronics manufacturers in SE Asia are quietly telling their import partners they want bitcoins instead of dollars?

That's exactly what I am expecting too. Especially after the evidence that Bitcoin can transfer $150 million so easily.
This might be the international trade story of 2014.

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:22:37 AM

wow...if this became a reality.... .... just wow! come on newegg you can do it!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
User705
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:11:33 AM

Possible.  Even if they simply keep whatever 1-3% they save on CC processing it would be pretty big.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 05:11:09 PM by LiteCoinGuy

that would be a big one, nice. also BTC fits very well in that company.

also they should offer then a 1 % discount if you pay in BTC, that would be a push.

" In 2009, it was listed as #234 on the Forbes America's Largest Private Companies list.[2] It launched Newegg Marketplace in 2010 and exceeded $2.5 billion in revenue that year. The company has about 2,500 employees."

Revenue    Increase US $ 2.5 billion (2010)[1][2]

Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:36:45 PM

If manufacturers in China start asking for BTC instead of USD, they can convert to Renminbi at 20% markup on Chinese exchanges.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:23:03 PM

If manufacturers in China start asking for BTC instead of USD, they can convert to Renminbi at 20% markup on Chinese exchanges.

Very significant observation.  Sooner or later, that spread will lure someone in.  And the network/lemming effect will take care of the rest.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:59:58 PM

Very significant observation.  Sooner or later, that spread will lure someone in.  And the network/lemming effect will take care of the rest.
That's assuming the arbitrage opportunities remain that way. 
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 06:06:54 PM

But btc is illegal in thailand...

Just kidding.

I think I read somewhere that bitcoin was declared illegal as money in Canada, but that's gotta be wrong, right?

ROFL!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:18:49 PM

Oh man that is so tempting to hope for... But the reality is that the amounts of wealth that those exporters get paid per shipment would be too big to simply drop on BTCChina... It'd be a major sell there that tanks the price for weeks... Each time.

They'd have to want to hold some in bitcoin; perhaps half of every shipment. That might help them avoid taxation too so it's not completely out of the question.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
zoinky

Activity: 811

Web Developer

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:55:01 AM

This would make me very happy.. as a long time newegg customer.  It would surely hurt Bitcoinstore.com sales... but that's competition..
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 12:57:28 AM

This would make me very happy.. as a long time newegg customer.  It would surely hurt Bitcoinstore.com sales... but that's competition..
According to statements made earlier in the year, bitcoinstore.com was never intended to be permanent.

If Newegg starts accepting bitcoin, he'll probably shut down.
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:11:42 AM

If ebuyer took bitcoin i'd be in my element.

(ebuyer is basically the Uk's newegg)
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:37:00 AM

If Newegg do it first, Amazon is going to lose a big chunk of their business. at least from me  Wink
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:25:39 PM

Oh man that is so tempting to hope for... But the reality is that the amounts of wealth that those exporters get paid per shipment would be too big to simply drop on BTCChina... It'd be a major sell there that tanks the price for weeks... Each time.

They'd have to want to hold some in bitcoin; perhaps half of every shipment. That might help them avoid taxation too so it's not completely out of the question.

I was thinking maybe a few smaller scale manufacturers would be the first to realise the opportunity - maybe the odd business owner who does a few million in turnover per year. They would usually accept dollars as payment, and then convert into Renminbi to pay workers and buy raw materials etc. Now they hear about this new thing called Bitcoin, which allows them to take irreversible payment, clears within hours rather than days, and they can offload on BTCChina and receive an extra 20% - what's not to love about it? They tell their American partners to convert their dollars using Coinbase (We're talking a few tens of thousands of dollars at a time) and make payment that way...
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 02:41:53 PM

I was thinking maybe a few smaller scale manufacturers would be the first to realise the opportunity - maybe the odd business owner who does a few million in turnover per year. They would usually accept dollars as payment, and then convert into Renminbi to pay workers and buy raw materials etc. Now they hear about this new thing called Bitcoin, which allows them to take irreversible payment, clears within hours rather than days, and they can offload on BTCChina and receive an extra 20% - what's not to love about it? They tell their American partners to convert their dollars using Coinbase (We're talking a few tens of thousands of dollars at a time) and make payment that way...

This,

Bitcoin is a wet dream for all the merchants on Alibaba
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 05:40:15 PM

I'm not but people generally shop at predictable times of day.  Newegg isn't worldwide and no merchants that currently are announcing that they are accepting bitcoin actually are planning to keep the bitcoins.  So either it's just publicity which is more likely because otherwise newegg would have to cash out a large amounts of coins on an exchange.  Maybe there are bids to buy them all and maybe not.  It adds to volatility. All these companies getting interested is great for bitcoin exposure but they aren't interested in keeping bitcoins as far as I have seen.

[Damn.. looking for the interview that had it and can't find it right now.  However...]  Tony Gallippi has stated that some merchants at least (seem to recall he said "many") keep at least a small fraction of their sales in Bitcoin.  I know the Bitpay interface does allow for that (converting some, not all, of the Bitcoins directly into cash, and holding the remainder as BTC).

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
markjamrobin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:43:06 PM

[Damn.. looking for the interview that had it and can't find it right now.  However...]  Tony Gallippi has stated that some merchants at least (seem to recall he said "many") keep at least a small fraction of their sales in Bitcoin.  I know the Bitpay interface does allow for that (converting some, not all, of the Bitcoins directly into cash, and holding the remainder as BTC).

Any particular reason? Is that like to handle refunds? Or as an investemnt for a company?

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:21:51 PM

Here is a thought.  The more major merchants that accept bitcoin the wilder the exchange rate will be.  Merchants especially large one won't keep the coins they have to convert right away so that means large dumps on exchanges that might not get bought.  Or I could be wrong.

I'm not but people generally shop at predictable times of day.  Newegg isn't worldwide and no merchants that currently are announcing that they are accepting bitcoin actually are planning to keep the bitcoins.  So either it's just publicity which is more likely because otherwise newegg would have to cash out a large amounts of coins on an exchange.  Maybe there are bids to buy them all and maybe not.  It adds to volatility. All these companies getting interested is great for bitcoin exposure but they aren't interested in keeping bitcoins as far as I have seen.

[Damn.. looking for the interview that had it and can't find it right now.  However...]  Tony Gallippi has stated that some merchants at least (seem to recall he said "many") keep at least a small fraction of their sales in Bitcoin.  I know the Bitpay interface does allow for that (converting some, not all, of the Bitcoins directly into cash, and holding the remainder as BTC).

Any particular reason? Is that like to handle refunds? Or as an investemnt for a company?

From my interpretation of it, it sounded like merchants that held some were interested in holding for investment.  After all most companies up to now decided to accept because the wanted to, not to keep up with competition.  So I  think they have at least some belief long term.  Of course they need to convert a certain amount to cover expenditures, but it sounded like many kept part of the profit as bitcoins.  (Still haven't found that link...)

EDIT: Found this link, although I know this wasn't the one I was looking for:
One can also accept bitcoins through BitPay and take bitcoins, either fully or a portion of the sales. Our company is an integrator partner with them, and we know that not all merchants do the fiat conversion. But it's true that only true Bitcoin believers do that. It should change through time though, since it's quite beneficial for companies to simply hold as much bitcoins as humanly possible.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
geofflosophy

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:39:02 AM

This,

Or anyone doing business with them. Has anyone else ever used Western Union to buy things on Alibaba? Talk about archaic.
markjamrobin

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:24:24 AM

This,

Or anyone doing business with them. Has anyone else ever used Western Union to buy things on Alibaba? Talk about archaic.

*Googles Alibaba*
I didn't even know this stuff still existed!

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: