Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:31:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay away from Coinbase  (Read 16928 times)
samsam

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:12:29 PM

would expect more from them, given that they are VC funded by the same firm (USV) that funded twitter and tumblr.

It is hard to make money trading bitcoin, especially with the market swinging as much as it has, so it is actually not surprising that they are doing what they are doing.

I really wish someone would just set up a real exchange that is based in the USA and accept assets for funding your account, like gold or silver, in order to get around banking regulations. A real exchange can make money off volume (by charging a % of trades) and not have to worry about whether the value of bitcoin goes up or down.  
lambdaE

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:12:32 PM

I'm interested to hear good experiences had with companies like Coinbase. I am looking to gamble some pounds and wondering who to use to make my first BTC purchase. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

There are better exchanges for UK. Im from Europe and use bitstamp instead
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:17:22 PM

I'm interested to hear good experiences had with companies like Coinbase. I am looking to gamble some pounds and wondering who to use to make my first BTC purchase. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Bitstamp is incorporated in the UK, and most people (including me) have mostly good things to say about them. Good interface, and better banking than Mt Gox or BTC-E. The trading engine and API leave much to be desired, but good for the casual user.
tejon

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:18:00 PM

Thanks!

There are better exchanges for UK. Im from Europe and use bitstamp instead

Thanks will check out bitstamp!
Malooka (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 289
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:24:49 PM

I'm contacting https://oag.ca.gov/consumers about Coinbase.  Anyone else who has been scammed by them should do the same.  Note on the Coinbase "About" page they describe themselves as a company based in San Francisco, but their mailing address is located in Beaverton, Oregon.  

Maybe their "robot" can help them out with the complaint.

What kind of company tells people their transaction is canceled because it's "high risk" - then in the same email encourages them to try again in a few weeks - with no additional verification?  It's a scam - they want you to try again so they can get another interest-free loan and play the market, then keep your BTC if the prices goes up.

howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:28:03 PM

This is just too annoying but for bitcoiners in US it's a necessary to use if you don't want to deal in person,Bitstamp stiill work I guess but not as easy as coinbase,it's an unethical business practice but nothing can be done.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:57:10 PM

I am using Coinbase and am very happy with their service, also very fast transactions back and forth.
thefish

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:54:13 PM

So far I haven't had any issues, and I've been happily using coinbase. Sure, it's not a paper wallet or cold storage, but I definitely have confidence its one of the more trustworthy online wallets.
xornof

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:52:39 PM

I haven't had any problems with using them as a "newbie wallet" just for the ease of access.  I don't keep any significant amounts of coin in there from day to day, I'd much rather have it in my local wallet all nice and secure. I can't comment on buying BTC direct from them though, I deal with local channels or trade up alt-coins to BTC at the exchanges if i have to.

Most of the fiat exchange options seem to have tons of security "hoops" to jump through, but maybe that's my point of view(from the US). I will have to check out bitstamp for the next time i need to move fiat to coin.

Thanks!
Monuta

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:14:20 PM

I'm sorry you had to learn about Coinbase the hard way.

A lot of here have had the same thing happen and Coinbase support is no hel
jofus87

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:19:08 PM

Newbie here. I bought 5 BTC last week at $520 from Coinbase, and I was pretty nervous I'd get one of those "high risk transaction" cancellations like I've been reading. My BTC came in as expected with no problems. So far, so good for me.
geofflosophy

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:26:23 AM

I've heard stories about "high risk transactions" being cancelled when the price went down as well, it's just less common because the price doesn't go down very often.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:29:57 AM

i have to wait until early december to receive mine.. i made the order on saturday and due to the thanksgiving holidays, that means.. a lot of days waiting.
mvidetto

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:00:46 AM

Coinbase is dope, you just need to get to tier II verification. I've heard a lot of those high risk transaction stories for people's first transactions, but my personal experience has been nothing but positive, and since I have been tier II verified I can get up to 10 BTC instantly.

Yeah well I have 40 btc bouncing around bc they can't fucking send a transaction, been waiting for 6 days now and it won't go through...
nubbins7

Activity: 566

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:04:38 AM

Welp for me 2 weeks ago they gave me the bitcoins that i was due
to me but i only put $54 usd into it lol i will try a $100 in a few days i hope
everything goes ok Cool
beetcoin

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:07:32 AM

after clearing for your first purchase, do the transactions go a lot faster or do they still need to wait for the ACH payments (4 business days) to be final? i'm still waiting on mine, so i will probably find out.. in another week or so.

Ok, so here we go. It says I should recieve my 65 USD by next Friday the 29th. Since all this was mined and not purchased I will only cry a little if I get screwed.

Michael

you might want to remove that picture.. unless you are okay with your first and last name to be available to the public.
caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 02:54:03 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 03:52:08 AM by caminilegroup

after clearing for your first purchase, do the transactions go a lot faster or do they still need to wait for the ACH payments (4 business days) to be final? i'm still waiting on mine, so i will probably find out.. in another week or so.

Ok, so here we go. It says I should recieve my 65 USD by next Friday the 29th. Since all this was mined and not purchased I will only cry a little if I get screwed.

Michael

you might want to remove that picture.. unless you are okay with your first and last name to be available to the public.

While it normally wouldn't bother me, I deleted the pictures, and my post.

If you google the name you actually won't find me so I'm not to worried about it.

Michael
alexandert

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:06:03 AM

2 words CoinBase sucks.
miner2002

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:25:41 AM

If coinbase sucks (I have a pending transaction with them) what is everyone using to get USD to BTC? It seems like everyone hates every exchange so what is the go to place?  BTC-E seems risky and impossible.  Mt. Gox seems to have issues.  What are the real alternatives?
beetcoin

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:26:32 AM

If coinbase sucks (I have a pending transaction with them) what is everyone using to get USD to BTC? It seems like everyone hates every exchange so what is the go to place?  BTC-E seems risky and impossible.  Mt. Gox seems to have issues.  What are the real alternatives?

at this point, there is no perfect solution. maybe when more ATMs hit the markets, that'll be the best method. mt. gox has been a nono for a long time, btc-e looks like it blows, and localbitcoins is really spotty.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: