Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:29:56 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay away from Coinbase  (Read 16927 times)
infinitybo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:50:55 PM

@M1sty Yes you can invest in BTC therefore you'll exchange them for example with a seller.
pharaoh171

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus about Coinbase difficulties.
I went through the full verification, linked bank account, etc. and was
told I was all set to begin purchasing. I tried on 4 separate occasions
and every one was shot down as "high risk", even once when the price
of bitcoin went down over $150 while I was waiting for my order to be filled.
It looks to me like Coinbase just doesn't have enough bitcoins to sell.
This, coupled with the fact that localbitcoins is essentially useless in my area
is causing me to become very disillusioned with bitcoins in general. How are
they ever going to become the currency of the future if you can't even buy any?
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 10:20:28 PM

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus about Coinbase difficulties.
I went through the full verification, linked bank account, etc. and was
told I was all set to begin purchasing. I tried on 4 separate occasions
and every one was shot down as "high risk", even once when the price
of bitcoin went down over $150 while I was waiting for my order to be filled.
It looks to me like Coinbase just doesn't have enough bitcoins to sell.
This, coupled with the fact that localbitcoins is essentially useless in my area
is causing me to become very disillusioned with bitcoins in general. How are
they ever going to become the currency of the future if you can't even buy any?

If you find a way to contact support, they would gladly give you a btc at the price that you failed to get.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:31:40 PM

I've never had any issues with coinbase at all and I use them daily most purchases/sells that I've been conducting are around 0.1-1 BTC each

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
good_shepherd

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:49:30 PM

i havent had any issues with coin base..

and its a usa company so i feel more comfortable with them.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:42:41 AM

i havent had any issues with coin base..

and its a usa company so i feel more comfortable with them.

I second this.  I do use foreign exchanges simple for diversification I prefer Coinbase over them.  Its linked to my bank account for instant buys and very simple to use. 

I also like its a US company with big backers.  Who knows if it's "safer" than Bitstamp or Gox, but I trust it a bit more to get my money out, fast, if ever needed!
CrimsonPermanentAssurance

Activity: 155
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:30:04 AM

Honestly, after emailing after a failed transaction, I got an email two weeks later telling me they were approving the transaction AND crediting me .96 btw EXTRA because of what I could have done with the BTC had I had it. I was astounded. Stick with them. It might take a while to get answers, but once you get them, you might also get BTC you didn't realize you had. It was like a Christmas present! This was for a $1300 original transaction, so instead of getting 1.5 btc for that, I ended up getting 2.5 btc.
CrimsonPermanentAssurance

Activity: 155
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:42:35 AM

And just so everyone knows, this happened on December 27!
caleb5705

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:22:00 AM

There is nothing wrong with coinbase.  You just have to go through their entire one month verification process.
reav

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:06:27 AM

Brian Armstrong (the CEO of coinbase) participated in an interesting panel during the 2013 bitcoin conference.  It's worth a watch if you want to get an idea of why they have to resort to such an extreme verification process. 

vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Dl7vIGnU0
hank99

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:05:55 AM

coinbase can be extremely aggravating. lack of explanation for their actions is what really gets me. some people say they have good customer service but theyve never replied to me.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:24:21 PM

Brian Armstrong (the CEO of coinbase) participated in an interesting panel during the 2013 bitcoin conference.  It's worth a watch if you want to get an idea of why they have to resort to such an extreme verification process. 

This.  They are a US company under US laws.  I like them taking forever to verify people and going through the process.  The more regulation you have the better the lawmakers will look at BItcoin and the companies supporting them that they are for legit reason and not all for money laundering and drug buying.
monsterkill

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:14:19 PM

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
MrMirkin

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

Just want to note that I have used coinbase twice to sell BTC.  Fiat showed up promptly w/o any issue.  I have yet to purchase BTC with it, but works great for selling
vtrac

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 07:00:54 PM

When I first created my account, I had Coinbase cancel 2-3 deposits due to "suspicious" activities. However, after email them I haven't had any issues ever since. They're certainly the easiest to use, and I feel the most confident about them over other sites (like mtgox, btc-e, etc).
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:35:50 PM

Yeah - but do you all trust Coinbase enough to keep your bitcoin out on the site? I'm working on getting my cold storage process down, but in the mean time I've got some bitcoin just sitting out there. Hopefully it's safe - the 2-step authentication seems pretty solid, but I know it's never safe unless you have them in possession.
organizer

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:19:26 PM

Just to pipe in, using Coinbase for a month with no issues. Been able to sell and withdraw without issue. Have not done the purchasing process though, so don't know if that's a more complicated process.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 09:24:53 PM

This.  They are a US company under US laws.  I like them taking forever to verify people and going through the process.  The more regulation you have the better the lawmakers will look at BItcoin and the companies supporting them that they are for legit reason and not all for money laundering and drug buying.

This brings up a good point. Many Americans view bitcoins as a criminals currency and so they dont use it. If we can prove that its safe then more and more people will start to buy.

JuAnAuJ69

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:21:08 PM

All your stories are quite scary... But I have never had any problems with CoinBase, to be honest. In fact I'm Tier III already.
belmonty

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:26:09 PM

Honestly, after emailing after a failed transaction, I got an email two weeks later telling me they were approving the transaction AND crediting me .96 btw EXTRA because of what I could have done with the BTC had I had it. I was astounded. Stick with them. It might take a while to get answers, but once you get them, you might also get BTC you didn't realize you had. It was like a Christmas present! This was for a $1300 original transaction, so instead of getting 1.5 btc for that, I ended up getting 2.5 btc.

It sounds like it was worth the long wait then.

What do they do with the current situation of bitcoin prices jumping up and down? Do they charge you the higher price if the transaction is not immediate and the price drops while you are waiting?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: