Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:21:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: transferring wallet.dat file from one mac to another bitcoin-qt  (Read 2955 times)
mcmike313 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:45:01 AM

my friend has a wallet that he hasnt been able to sync up with due to a db base error
if i want to transfer the wallet.dat file from one computer to another what are the steps
is it simply moving the wallet.dat file from one computer to the other and opening bitcoin-qt or do i have to delete the database files as well? if so which files?
couldnt i just put the wallet.dat file onto my computer and then have access to the bitcoins?
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:34:25 PM

Moving wallet.dat is enough.
Don't forget to backup yours before overwriting, though. Tongue

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
mcmike313 (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:36:47 PM

Yeah I will back my wallet up first, are you sure there's no need to redownload the block chain with the new wallet?
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:40:59 PM

Yeah I will back my wallet up first, are you sure there's no need to redownload the block chain with the new wallet?
I'm 100% sure, provided the blockchain is up to date on the target computer.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
mcmike313 (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:52:20 AM

i beleive the bitcoin-qt client on the computer having the DB error maybe an older version ofbitcoin-qt, this shouldnt cause any problems when moving the file?
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:58:35 PM

No, it won't cause any problems.

medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 11:25:59 PM

I just completed a transfer of my wallet between 2 macs.  Just did like the thread said, downloaded bitcoin qt on the new computer and then copied everything but the wallet.dat file.  Then I let the client rescan the copied block chain files which took about 30 minutes.  I then backed up the original wallet.dat on the old comp, copied the wallet.dat to the new comp, started the client up again and it rescanned for about 3 minutes and then it was good to go.  Fairly painless process.
Thanks for all the instructions.
Peace
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: