Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 02:26:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GuiMiner user  (Read 471 times)
Panther063 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:57:46 AM

Hi guys, first time poster and newbie to Bitcoin mining.
I thought I'd give it a go, solo, as my machine is running basically 24/7.
First thing I did was follow these instructions - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=10438
as I found them very helpful, I would have been lost without them.
My question is, I wanted to use the graphics card I have installed, am AMD HD 6950 but in devices on the GUIMiner panel, it only shows my Processor, how can I change this?
I installed this under, "new Open CL Miner" as I  thought that was what AMD cards ran.
Using the Processor it averages around 530khash/s, would it be higher using the graphics card?
When I look in Programs it shows Open CL 1.1 for Intel Processors. *shrugs*
Is there some software I have to install to enable the graphics to be utilised?
Hope to hear from you soon, thanks in advance.
Flipke

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 10:29:05 AM

Ok, first of all: solo mining bitcoins is dead. A $25 ASIC miner consumes only 2,5 watt and can output 333Mhash/s whereas a GPU will generate something like 200-300khash/s while consuming 200watts. That's why everybody bought ASIC miners. Second: a Bitcoin mining pool has hashrates expressed in Thash/s ... so the odd that you're going to find a block on your own is close to 0 (tough it's not impossible, but very very unlikely).

Don't try to mine bitcoins on your CPU or GPU, it's simply not worth it.

What you can do is mine alternative Scrypt-based coins like LiteCoin. These can only be mined using a GPU which makes it far more interesting to mine if you don't want to spend some money on ASIC miners. However, you also have to join a miningpool unless you have like 20 GPU's ready to mine at 600khash/s each  Grin .
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:40:43 PM

My GTX 660Ti mines BTC at around 90 mhash/s, and AMD cards are better for mining (plus I think your card is generally stronger, not sure tho) so if should at least mine more than my GPU mining does. Also, don't mine solo. Your chances of actually find a block are abysmal. You should join a mining pool like Slush's instead.

EDIT: And yeah, mining alt coins like LTC could be more profitable. You should check it out.
Panther063 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 03:57:36 AM

Yes, I know mining solo isn't worth it!
I am doing it as my Computer is running anyway, so I thought I would try my luck and just see what happens.
This is not a serious venture for me.
I would like to know why my graphics card is not showing up in the device list in GUIMiner and it only shows my CPU.   Huh
tactrad

Activity: 34

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:05:35 AM

I am doing it as my Computer is running anyway, so I thought I would try my luck and just see what happens.
I would like to know why my graphics card is not showing up in the device list in GUIMiner and it only shows my CPU.   Huh
What gfx card do you have. Older cards may not work, or you may need to update drivers

maikeru

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 04:59:30 AM

Itun

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:13:18 AM

Try updating the drivers

But mining with less than 1 MBh is worthless

It's probably easier to win the lottery than matching the code in solo mining

Also, mining will probably damage your GPU

I don't want to bash you, but I'm warning you.. it will just be a waste of time and effort
hobitcoin

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:18:33 AM

hmmm ... probably you need to check if your graphic card have OpenCl platform to use guiminer, panther ... since guiminer is using OpenCl platform if I'm not mistaken ...

You can check your graphic card with GPU Caps Viewer ... and here is the download link:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20091228/gpu-caps-viewer-1-8-2-available/

mining bitcoin is hard nowadays ... should go with mining litecoin in my opinion ...

good luck panther ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: