Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:51:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best OS for bitcoin mining?  (Read 1072 times)
miningDwarf (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:11:55 AM

Which is best of bellow mentioned for btc mining:

CentOS Linux   
Debian Linux   
Ubuntu Linux
Windows
OS X
dziub_dziubek

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:20:53 AM

GNU/Linux in console mode, e.g. Ubuntu server. But no cpu and gpu btc mining;)
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:22:20 AM

Yeah, some linux distro. The less system resources it takes, the better! But you're a bit late for bitcoin mining. Why not try some alt-coin?
miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:26:11 AM

Yeah, some linux distro. The less system resources it takes, the better! But you're a bit late for bitcoin mining. Why not try some alt-coin?

why i am too late for bcoin mining?
according to calculations with 50ghz i should make 1 btc/month
KrisTester

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:35:27 AM

Difficulty is getting higher. It's not profitable to mine BTC.
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:39:32 AM

OS does not really matters, equipment matters ...

bitcoinminer11794591

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:39:47 AM

Which linux distro do people use the most?
miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:40:55 AM

what is alt coin?

as i understand btc coin is this long 0.000000
and alt coins goes after . all 0 ? right?
PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:45:26 AM

CentOS Linux   
Debian Linux   
Ubuntu Linux
Windows
OS X

Doesn't make any difference since you can only mine with asics now. Not that it made any difference before that anyway  Tongue
miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:47:51 AM

CentOS Linux   
Debian Linux   
Ubuntu Linux
Windows
OS X

Doesn't make any difference since you can only mine with asics now. Not that it made any difference before that anyway  Tongue

so the alt coins what they are?
blacksails

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:55:47 AM

Yeah, but the difficult almost doubles every month. And first you have to buy expensive mining tools, wait for them to arrive, and by that time the difficult has increased so much you can't possibly break even. And even if you have it now you still have to pay electricity.
Sure, you might break even, and maybe even make some profit, but that won't be much. But if you decide to mine it's good for the network though.

Alternative coins. If you want to use an ASIC you have to stick to the sha-256 coins for example TerraCoin (same algorithm as Bitcoin).
Then you have script coins, with Litecoin as the biggest and feather coin and such things. You can't mine these with ASIC miners, so you have to use GPU. Your best shot is to find some scrypt-coin with low difficult and mine these. It's still risky though.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_alternative_cryptocurrencies
miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:08:19 PM

Yeah, but the difficult almost doubles every month. And first you have to buy expensive mining tools, wait for them to arrive, and by that time the difficult has increased so much you can't possibly break even. And even if you have it now you still have to pay electricity.
Sure, you might break even, and maybe even make some profit, but that won't be much. But if you decide to mine it's good for the network though.

Alternative coins. If you want to use an ASIC you have to stick to the sha-256 coins for example TerraCoin (same algorithm as Bitcoin).
Then you have script coins, with Litecoin as the biggest and feather coin and such things. You can't mine these with ASIC miners, so you have to use GPU. Your best shot is to find some scrypt-coin with low difficult and mine these. It's still risky though.

1.Yeah but what if I rent 3 dedicated servers, 16ghz each and I would pay for all 3 servers like 130e per month and I dont have to pay any other things like electricity or any other. Would that be possible?
blacksails

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:17:39 PM

1.Yeah but what if I rent 3 dedicated servers, 16ghz each and I would pay for all 3 servers like 130e per month and I dont have to pay any other things like electricity or any other. Would that be possible?
If it costs 130€ for all three it probably is! Just watch out for big difficult raises! Smiley
bitcoin44me

Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:19:13 PM

what is alt coin?

as i understand btc coin is this long 0.000000
and alt coins goes after . all 0 ? right?

No, bitcoin has is this long : 0.00000001 btc = 1 satoshi.

Altcoins are other coins like LTC, and so on. They have nothing to do with btc. They are different ...

miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:25:11 PM

If it costs 130€ for all three it probably is! Just watch out for big difficult raises! Smiley
1.can you recommend good mining software?
2.and by the way how do i set gpu via dedicated server?
blacksails

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:33:35 PM

1.can you recommend good mining software?
Sorry, I don't really know the technical parts Sad
miningDwarf (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:49:43 PM

Anyone know this info?

1.can you recommend good mining software(program) like guiminer but something else maybe?

Please I need this info
georgeboot

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:02:44 PM

I think it Will be windows. For best mining performance you will need the best drivers for your GPS, which are at the moment only for windows.
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:31:38 PM

linux is the way. DO NOT use OpenSuSe. I use it and the biggest issue with suse is that some of the dependencies for various coins are hard as hell to find.

I suggest Arch Linux or Ubuntu for mining purposes. Use ubuntu if you've never run linux before.
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:32:29 PM

I think it Will be windows. For best mining performance you will need the best drivers for your GPS, which are at the moment only for windows.

not true. up to date linux drivers are available from AMD and incredibly easy to install.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: