Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:16:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't transactions faster?  (Read 3951 times)
BitchicksHusband (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 11:57:11 AM

Can somebody explain to me why:

* Mining isn't 10 times faster (a new block every minute instead of 10 minutes)
* With difficulty 10 times easier
* With 1/10 the payout (like 5 coins instead of 50)
* With 1/10 the blocksize (1/10MB instead of 1MB)

Wouldn't confirmations be quicker but everything else be roughly the same?  I am pretty sure there's a good reason for what Satoshi did.  What am I missing?

Also, wouldn't more miners make money?  The coins would be spread out more.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:01:37 PM

Because the confirmations would be backed by 1/10th as much hashing power, so also only 1/10th as secure. If you wait for one confirmation now, you would have to wait for 10 confirmations with the new system to have a comparable level of security.

There would also be more orphan blocks, and thus more bandwidth usage and overhead.

See also litecoin (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Litecoin), which does this, but with a factor of 4 instead of 10.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 12:01:56 PM

Satoshi made some choices pretty much arbitrarily with things like average confirmation time and many alt coins you see tend to have much faster confirmation times (although as pointed out in the post above they are thus arguably not as secure as Bitcoin is because of this).

It's arguable whether the Bitcoin settings are the most effective but it would not be so easy to change them (we are pretty much stuck with what Satoshi chose).

In regards to the block sizes it would actually be less efficient in terms of storage space required to make them a lot smaller.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
BitchicksHusband (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:09:25 PM

Because the confirmations would be backed by 1/10th as much hashing power, so also only 1/10th as secure. If you wait for one confirmation now, you would have to wait for 10 confirmations with the new system to have a comparable level of security.

There would also be more orphan blocks, and thus more bandwidth usage and overhead.

See also litecoin (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Litecoin), which does this, but with a factor of 4 instead of 10.

I didn't realize that this was virtually the only feature of Litecoin (I knew it was one of them).

So an orphan block is a single confirmation that never gets a second confirmation, right?

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:19:12 PM

So an orphan block is a single confirmation that never gets a second confirmation, right?
An orphan is a block that didn't "make it", because someone else made a longer chain without that block in it.
If blocks are generated more often and require less work on average, there is a larger chance of miners generating longer chains on top of older blocks instead of the latest one. This is due to network latency and variance, after all it's a random process and it's possible to generate two blocks in very quick succession.

In any case - it's simply a choice, a compromise that had to be made. Very fast as well as very slow confirmations would have been worse. But there is nothing magical about the 10 in itself.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 01:10:51 PM

1/10th?

It's important to realize that if the rate blocks are being found is not a large multiple of how long it takes for a block to be propagated to and accepted by ~all of the network that the network will start suffering from convergence failures and see enormous reorgs. Even before the point where it would cause convergence failure a block time which is too fast relative to latencies would confer an an advantage to large hashpower consolidations (e.g. attackers).

Reducing the block size has some effect on propagation time, but it doesn't eliminate the effect of network latency.

More frequent blocks would also multiplicatively increase the header costs for SPV nodes. E.g. 10 years of headers would be 400MBytes for 1m blocks than 40MBytes.
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 03:41:46 PM

Quote from: John Smith

But it gives you the option of accepting a transaction that has 1/10th the security of a 10 minute block if you can afford to sacrifice some security for greater speed, but not to the point of accepting a zero confirmation transaction.

To the OP, one other disadvantage of shorter block intervals is that it encourages centralization by giving miners with faster internet connections a greater advantage.
BitchicksHusband (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:22:56 AM

Cool, guys.  That was all very helpful.  Thanks.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:28:39 AM

But it gives you the option of accepting a transaction that has 1/10th the security of a 10 minute block if you can afford to sacrifice some security for greater speed, but not to the point of accepting a zero confirmation transaction.
Exactly. With a one minute block time, your average time to first confirmation is one minute. With a ten minute block time, it's ten minutes. So if two weak confirmations is enough for you, you can have them in two minutes on average, rather than having to wait ten minutes for one strong confirmation. Arguably, two weak confirmations is at least as good as one strong confirmation.

As noted, there are disadvantages to faster block times, of course.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:29:30 AM

What are the practical chances of getting screwed if one accepts a zeroconf transaction with Bitcoin (ie. Blockchain.info shows it)?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:35:19 AM

What are the practical chances of getting screwed if one accepts a zeroconf transaction with Bitcoin (ie. Blockchain.info shows it)?
I'm assuming you use the best known defenses against the most common attacks. That would mean connecting close to as many mining pools as possible and watching for conflicting transactions. The best known attack would then be a Finney attack. Anyone attempting such an attack would risk losing a block they had just mined, so they're risking 25 Bitcoins. So if the sale value is much less than 25 Bitcoins, the risk is very low. You're not going to risk losing 25 Bitcoins to steal 2.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:39:22 AM

I'm assuming you use the best known defenses against the most common attacks. That would mean connecting close to as many mining pools as possible and watching for conflicting transactions. The best known attack would then be a Finney attack. Anyone attempting such an attack would risk losing a block they had just mined, so they're risking 25 Bitcoins. So if the sale value is much less than 25 Bitcoins, the risk is very low. You're not going to risk losing 25 Bitcoins to steal 2.

So this is only possible if all of the following coincide:
- Malicious intent
- Access to great hashing power
- Luck
- Opportunity to steal >BTC25
- ...with 100% chance of getting caught if successful.

Hardly my customers... Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:41:30 AM

So this is only possible if all of the following coincide:

Not quite - if the priority is very low there is every chance that the tx may *disappear* after a day or so (in which case the original sender could just delete that tx from their wallet and you'll never get those funds unless they decide to send them to you again with an appropriate fee included).

And recently this problem has actually been fairly common (due to the large # of transactions in the pool).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 08:48:07 AM

Not quite - if the priority is very low there is every chance that the tx may *disappear* after a day or so (in which case the original sender could just delete that tx from their wallet and you'll never get those funds unless they decide to send them to you again with an appropriate fee included).

And recently this problem has actually been fairly common (due to the large # of transactions in the pool).
Yeah, you need to use a variety of defenses to sanely accept zero confirmation transactions. One important thing is to make sure the transaction fee is adequate.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:56:10 AM

I'm guessing that also the thrust of the OP is that faster blocks allow for faster transactions at a point of sale, especially physical shops where the customer walks out of the store immediately after paying.

Last month I did my first wave-and-pay transaction on my Visa card, which does not even require require a pin number for small amounts. It took 1 second and was done. There is no way a decentralized cryptocurrency will ever compete with that in terms of waiting for block confirmations. This is why Litecoin's 2.5 minute block time is not a significant benefit.

The solution for immediate sales (zero confirmations) must lie elsewhere. Merchants can accept the double-spend risk as a cost of doing business just as they accept the risk of forged currency or stolen credit cards today. In the future there might be insurance available against double-spends for an annual premium. 3rd-party applications which run on top of the Bitcoin protocol can enable instant confirmations if the customer and merchant both use the same 3rd-party service (this is probably a future role for the CC companies).

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:57:10 AM

Yeah, you need to use a variety of defenses to sanely accept zero confirmation transactions. One important thing is to make sure the transaction fee is adequate.

The main defence is that I know who my customers are. From anonymous strangers, I have taken 2 confirmations for sums up to BTC50 (method: sweeping of private key). Is this prudent enough? (BTC50 is more dollarz than it used to be)

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:59:22 AM

Merchants can accept the double-spend risk as a cost of doing business just as they accept the risk of forged currency or stolen credit cards today. In the future there might be insurance available against double-spends for an annual premium. 3rd-party applications which run on top of the Bitcoin protocol can enable instant confirmations if the customer and merchant both use the same 3rd-party service (this is probably a future role for the CC companies).

Has any of the merchants ever complained about this supposed risk?  Roll Eyes As a merchant I find the risk waywaywaywayway smaller than the variable percent of physical shoplifting.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:02:41 AM

Has any of the merchants ever complained about this supposed risk?  Roll Eyes As a merchant I find the risk waywaywaywayway smaller than the variable percent of physical shoplifting.

This is a good question. Has any of the btc accepting shops in Berlin, or the various cafes around the world complained about a successful double-spend against them?

maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:10:21 AM

This is a commonly held belief here, but incorrect. One 10-second confirmation provides exactly the same security as a a single 10-minute confirmation. A coin with block coming 10x as quickly would allow you to wait less time for confirmations. It would also be a terrible idea for a whole host of other reasons, many of them mentioned above.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 09:27:35 AM

This is a commonly held belief here, but incorrect. One 10-second confirmation provides exactly the same security as a a single 10-minute confirmation.
I disagree. With 10 second confirmations, the probability of a second block being found before the first block propagated to the majority of mining pools would be *much* higher. The longer the confirmation time, the lower the chance a one-confirmation block will be orphaned.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: