Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:52:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mybitcoin dumb question...  (Read 2073 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2011, 01:49:08 AM

I know there were a few posts earlier regarding the posting of at least one mybitcoin address so someone can look though blockexplorer and see if anything got transferred since July 29th...

Did anything happen from that?  Or better said did anyone even have an address to start looking? 

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KFed

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:47:55 AM

I'm curious about this as well. Most suspect mybitcoin of fraudulent behavior (as they should) but is there an address around to confirm proof positive that he's selling off the coins?
Bikerbum

Activity: 33

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 10:37:18 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2011, 04:32:40 PM by Bikerbum

Well, I posted my claim for my measly .12 bitcoin left at MyBitcoin. And sure enough my 49%, .0000005 something did get credited back to me. So a normal person would think, hmmm cut my loss and I'm done. Then that 49% settlement return kept creeping back into my mind and I remembered a post here that calculated that MyBitcoin may have as much as a million and a half in bitcoins. So if this hacking statement is a farse, Old Tom Williams will be walking away with  a possible 8 mill at the current 10 dollar rate when he cashes out way down the road after everybody gets their 49% and  decides to move on as I have. My measley .12 bitcoin is insignificant but when you add all the measely .12's, Old Tom wil have a fairly nice 401 to retire on. Hell, I could retire  nicely on just 3 million. Obviously this is speculation, but I'm sure that the 1,000 and over depositors have had this same scenario cross their minds.51% and walk away with no questions asked sounds great to me.Just my 8 million cents.

Bikerbum   Wink
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 05:55:13 PM

Well, I posted my claim for my measly .12 bitcoin left at MyBitcoin. And sure enough my 49%, .0000005 something did get credited back to me. So a normal person would think, hmmm cut my loss and I'm done. Then that 49% settlement return kept creeping back into my mind and I remembered a post here that calculated that MyBitcoin may have as much as a million and a half in bitcoins. So if this hacking statement is a farse, Old Tom Williams will be walking away with  a possible 8 mill at the current 10 dollar rate when he cashes out way down the road after everybody gets their 49% and  decides to move on as I have. My measley .12 bitcoin is insignificant but when you add all the measely .12's, Old Tom wil have a fairly nice 401 to retire on. Hell, I could retire  nicely on just 3 million. Obviously this is speculation, but I'm sure that the 1,000 and over depositors have had this same scenario cross their minds.51% and walk away with no questions asked sounds great to me.Just my 8 million cents.

Bikerbum   Wink

How close is it to calling this a perfect crime if this speculation is true?
EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:02:11 PM

Here is the MyBitcoin address I posted: 1MNTuapuSrQ5NHYK5HkFZR7E4tnE7yjVYn

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hello,

This is a payment notification from MyBitcoin.

You have received Bitcoins!

Transaction Number: 211683
Transaction Date/Time: 2011-07-15 04:37:40
To: 1MNTuapuSrQ5NHYK5HkFZR7E4tnE7yjVYn
Amount: 0.0995

Thank you.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MBC v1.0

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJOH8QUAAoJEJ+5g06lAnqFnAoH/2RXhfuiqEbZqc8GnL7SIYgK
xonZ1uhnzg23NSuW047IuwAYvtnoFa0xymgnAQBhHcLRwuCXYZcTU8TLEatsaWXT
3nrjYpQ+t+9McfJf5Um+0KoUt+bv/C/9M95yMVKQxST5B5mcS3cJz7ltmOkq3Fgz
PqyOZwlKB+qIAn4JzCYp+kX6YUOzZK2wvIsWU/mfCgL57jMTCl+PeOwvppTzIEXC
GqfX8eP1dOc4cKoUcXuQR8JMs6bw/dfT+ibBEEj6S/sxM2cGfMawHDa5DLCnJ0dc
2eugOJT8/9g8bukosRZGUytOvQd6ItUrRnsVoSUg6iIEPXCCPLgSoCbrE/OT8cQ=
=Yl1N
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Bikerbum

Activity: 33

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:25:08 AM

Bikerbum   Wink

REAL CLOSE.......................................................................... 51% and TOM's OUTTA HERE.
ramowns11

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:59:29 AM

Here it is 8-31-11 and my wallet on Mybitcoin.com has had no coins moved in or out since 7-29-11 (checked using block explorer). I still have a pending transaction in to the wallet that has not been picked up yet. When would Tom Williams decide it is a good time to fire up the wallets and start transfering BC??? Why wait? If I recall correctly, "Tom Williams" posted something on these forums saying that several wallets had been deleted a few days before he brought the site back online with an official update. Some users said that it wasn't really "Tom Wiliams" but I am really curious as to why my wallet has not been drained yet. Could it be that some of the wallets were truly deleted? I'll try and dig up the post.
Stalin-chan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:03:09 AM

If Bruce would just post his public key we could see all the cash that he lost transferring back to him.
Why wont he?
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:34:10 AM

Bikerbum   Wink

About as close as you can get without also considering that there is some strong circumstantial evidence that Bruce is involved.

I gotta admit... I usually wouldn't even want to bring up something like that. But... Well, there were honestly some very speculative claims about other problems with Bruce made, and turns out he was found by a court to have defrauded many people out of their money, and some of that is still ongoing in another court. And more recently comes evidence that Bruce was aware of Mybitcoin problems for weeks before he stopped promoting them-- multiple emails where he told someone he would stop promoting them and address the problem, but he didn't.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:44:02 AM

If Bruce would just post his public key we could see all the cash that he lost transferring back to him.
Why wont he?

Like posting a public key would do any good? He could and probably had hundreds.

You're probably right but just in case and since he removed it from theonlyonetv's contact page very recently..

14LhFtZu3aYYxpcKco3i6nRTW3ersuEqtq

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DrYe5

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:45:57 AM

Why wont he?

Like posting a public key would do any good? He could and probably had hundreds.

You're probably right but just in case and since he removed it from theonlyonetv's contact page very recently..

14LhFtZu3aYYxpcKco3i6nRTW3ersuEqtq

With the public key Bruce had associated with his 25,000 BTC MyBitCoin.com account, the refund could be verified with block explorer. If he can't produce such a key, he probably lied about receiving a refund and probably about losing bitcoins as well. Although, many have reasons to avoid associating their real identity with a bitcoin address that aren't related to MyBitcoin.
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 03:52:12 AM

Bikerbum   Wink

Seeing as the community seems pretty placated by their 49% returns, no law enforcement has been called, and (rumor has it) 'Tom Williams' was somewhere at Bitcon and didn't get beaten to death, I'd say he's a pretty smooth criminal and escaped with the coins.

I still don't buy the hacking thing, but hey, I'm just an SA troll that helped track down he-who-shall-not-be-named's scammy history, what do I know.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 04:09:45 AM

Seeing as the community seems pretty placated by their 49% returns, no law enforcement has been called, and (rumor has it) 'Tom Williams' was somewhere at Bitcon and didn't get beaten to death, I'd say he's a pretty smooth criminal and escaped with the coins.

I still don't buy the hacking thing, but hey, I'm just an SA troll that helped track down he-who-shall-not-be-named's scammy history, what do I know.

Yea, I don't see how anyone would not be fuggin livid if they lost more than a few bucks with MBC. According to some unverified numbers it was 154,000~ BTC[citation needed]   If I was dumb enough to let some random dude on the interwebs hold my money and he ran off with it I woulda been on the first flight to Nevis to have a 'chat' with MurningCrap Huldings about who paid to file for mbc llc....  Its also possible that a lot of the peeps who did lose money there just wish to not have their info spread all out here on the forums and are handling things their own way.?

I don't think anyone bought the hacking thing. Even the few that were confused enough to read it as a dbl spend type exploit, which it wasn't. reorgs will verify that much. The dude basicly said his shopping cart loaded right to the account before verification. The attack vector there would be using a simple editor (fiddler) would likely work, send .01 coins via shopping cart and your btc client. Then edit the http posts you just sent to change the value to 100 or whatever number and then initiate a transfer from your mbc acct to another addy before their backend told your account you only sent .01.. The only thing preventing you using a larger number would be the amount of BTC they kept 'hot' at the time. And using large numbers might tip them off.  Atleast this is exactly the kind of attack he was attempting to suggest. I find it hard to believe the site could have been that flimsy and did not get emptied out from almost day one.

Can we verify he was there at the BTC conference? That would be some funny shit.

p.s Dirty Troll

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 04:22:57 AM

Yea, I don't see how anyone would not be fuggin livid if they lost more than a few bucks with MBC. According to some unverified numbers it was 154,000~ BTC[citation needed]   If I was dumb enough to let some random dude on the interwebs hold my money and he ran off with it I woulda been on the first flight to Nevis to have a 'chat' with MurningCrap Huldings about who paid to file for mbc llc....  Its also possible that a lot of the peeps who did lose money there just wish to not have their info spread all out here on the forums and are handling things their own way.?

I don't think anyone bought the hacking thing. Even the few that were confused enough to read it as a dbl spend type exploit, which it wasn't. reorgs will verify that much. The dude basicly said his shopping cart loaded right to the account before verification. The attack vector there would be using a simple editor (fiddler) would likely work, send .01 coins via shopping cart and your btc client. Then edit the http posts you just sent to change the value to 100 or whatever number and then initiate a transfer from your mbc acct to another addy before their backend told your account you only sent .01.. The only thing preventing you using a larger number would be the amount of BTC they kept 'hot' at the time. And using large numbers might tip them off.  Atleast this is exactly the kind of attack he was attempting to suggest. I find it hard to believe the site could have been that flimsy and did not get emptied out from almost day one.

Can we verify he was there at the BTC conference? That would be some funny shit.

p.s Dirty Troll

It all reads as the evidence was meant to be intentionally confusing as to how the hack was done, but I agree with you - any website, especially one run by an amateur without the kind of backing large corporations do, that holds anything of value would be such a high priority target that hackers would have been in there very early and emptied it out.
Stalin-chan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:15:10 AM

Bruce's public key would verify that he was refunded his money as he told us. If he sends us a key that hasn't been refunded any money then well...
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:23:23 AM

Bruce's public key would verify that he was refunded his money as he told us. If he sends us a key that hasn't been refunded any money then well...

That just means he picked which key we saw. Your wallet usually has _TONS_ of keys.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: