Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:59:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many  (Read 1939 times)
TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 01:15:55 PM

First post. Looking forward to the new digital economy!

I've been reading a lot about cryptocurrencies recently (and researching them). I was wondering why there are so many? Do they all have individual uses? Are they all geographic in nature? There seems to be more than is required for a cybereconomy.
Huh

Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 01:24:36 PM

Are you trying to say why are there so many alt coins?
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:52:59 PM

I guess many people wanted their own currency. Most of the alt coins are worthless though.
shiro100

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:56:43 PM

yes, for now it is reliable to concentrate mostly on BTC & LTC...
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:04:00 PM

Stick with btc and ltc

The rest just exists for speculation

TheTribesman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019

Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 03:12:26 AM

Personally I think 2 is enough. A main currency (possibly BTC) and a tracker (possibly LTC) to keep it honest.

It could even be the other way round, where LTC is the main currency, and BTC (though first to emerge) is the tracker keeping LTC honest. LTC seems to be more suited for use as a digital currency (from what I've read). BTC seems more speculative than LTC.

I think that if there are too many that survive then all we've done is transferred the old banking systems (where every country has it's own currency that can fluctuate against the others) into the digital realm.

And what would be the point of that??

SSL1978

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:23:21 AM

I've been reading a lot about cryptocurrencies recently (and researching them). I was wondering why there are so many? Do they all have individual uses? Are they all geographic in nature? There seems to be more than is required for a cybereconomy.
Huh

A number of alt-coins (such as LTC, NMC) are created because some developers wanted to add more feature to the world of cryptocurrency.
99% of alt-coins are created because some guys had a great dream of getting rich and becoming billionaires (just like Satoshi).
Morbo

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:25:30 AM

99% of alt-coins are created because some guys had a great dream of getting rich and becoming billionaires (just like Satoshi).

how much bitcoin was already mined when Satoshi released the bitcoin client to the public?

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
sharpiedeluxe

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:50:58 AM

I like PPC as my favorite altcoin.
Creative83

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:57:11 AM

I don't see having many alt coins as a negative things, or?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:58:04 AM

how much bitcoin was already mined when Satoshi released the bitcoin client to the public?

0 (well technically the 50 BTC in the genesis block but due to a client bug they are unspendable)
bitcoinlovesme

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:13:54 AM

Its just competition, everyone wants to be in. But some are genuine improvement. And havn't you heard competition is good!!
Creative83

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:33:21 AM

I agree with statement, It's always good to have many choices, for now I think BTC and LTC are the most solid ones and also I think there are many good altcoins around, just days will prove which one will be able to survive.
Alice_C

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 08:59:20 AM

What characteristics should the alt coin have to be widely accepted and successful (or at least number 3 after bitcoin and litecoin)?

If you have any ideas, please, share them here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346068.msg3709017#msg3709017

I'm doing my master thesis resaerch on this theme, so I will be very thankful for your opinions and help.
N4D3B337Z

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 09:19:03 AM

Its just competition, everyone wants to be in. But some are genuine improvement. And havn't you heard competition is good!!
I whole-heartedly agree w/ you on that. Competition is great.
However I have an inkling that maybe one of the "Copycat Coins" or "CloneCoin" will make a substantial improvement to the Crypto currency infrastructure and render BTC "semi" obsolete but not completely. like DSL did 56k or cable did DSL. Maybe Altcoins will further enhance the anonymity aspects of Cryptocurrency as a whole being that most if not all of them have some sort of an exchange that lets you convert coin to other coin formats and fiats. This essentially extends bitcoin functionality, thus rendering competition as GREAT.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:24:22 AM

Clones always pop-up when something gets to the public.
Ebay copycats , Facebook copycats.
Also creating a crypto is quite easy and many think they are going to be rich with it by pre-mining it.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Creative83

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:01:02 PM

What characteristics should the alt coin have to be widely accepted and successful (or at least number 3 after bitcoin and litecoin)?

If you have any ideas, please, share them here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=346068.msg3709017#msg3709017

I'm doing my master thesis resaerch on this theme, so I will be very thankful for your opinions and help.

This list will be a real long one I think, But I also would like to know which altcoins could be the next right after BTC and LTC.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:01:35 PM

Huh

its like USD / EUR / GBP  Tongue
Vezalke

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:10:38 PM

My opinion is there will be couple of currencies (3, 4 or 5 max), others will die eventually. So 1st is Bitcoin, 2nd is Litecoin, other places are less known...time will show.
issaxde

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:18:33 PM

Which currencies will prevail depends on which alt currencies are abled to attract a big enough user base. The value and stability of currencies is defined by the amount of people accepting it as payment. Bitcoin therefore definitely has a big advantage towards the other digital currencies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: