Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:47:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on DuckDuckGo?  (Read 570 times)
TheGodson (OP)

Activity: 383
Merit: 161

https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 06:22:56 AM
Merited by suchmoon (2), vapourminer (1), Jet Cash (1)

I've been working on becoming a web developer. So I started downloading all the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Opera). I also took a look at some other search engines and have discovered DuckDuckGo. I'm really liking it so far, because when you search for things there are the classic tabs: Web, Images, Videos, and News. Sometimes for certain keywords there are other tabs that relate to that keyword. For example, if I search up a food item there is usually a recipe tab where I can look at recipes. If I look up other types of words I may get a definition tab.

Another thing I like about the search engine is that in the Images they have the pixel size written over a transparent gray box when you hover over an image. Google has this too, but it is at the bottom of the picture and isn't as aesthetically pleasing. I also like the fact that you can get the full scale image without going to the website like you would have to do with Google. Also, another feature that I like, is when you search for something an icon of the site is to the left of the url link. This is useful if there are some sites that you know you don't like to visit. For me personally, I'm not a fan of Forbes, because it takes to long to load. With the icon there, I can identify which links I would like to click on and which ones I don't at a quicker speed.

DuckDuckGo seems like something I think a lot of people on this forum would like, because it doesn't track all the websites that you visit (or at least that is what they say). When I'm Googling it is kind of freaky when advertisements come up tailored for me. That is kind of cool, but at the same time it is just a bit creepy, because Google knows me a bit too well for my liking.

I've decided to give DuckDuckGo a try for awhile and see if I like it. Anyone else think this is cool?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2018, 06:59:07 AM

I use it primarily...
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 03:42:34 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1), paxmao (1)

Yeah, I try to stay away from Google companies whenever I can. They are getting too big. They can track you over half the Internet.

DuckDuckGo is great. Best thing I love about having DDG as a default search engine is that I can just type "qr code " in front of a link and DDG will convert it into a QR Code. I can then scan it with my phone and use it as a copy/paste feature between my phone and my PC. Works the best when you are sending a link over a phone that you visited on your PC, since you just change the link to start with "qr code " and press enter.
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 05:39:01 PM

I use it primarily...

Me too.

I've switched from Chrome&Google to Firefox&DuckDuckGo some time recently.
I don't like the idea of a server that has access to every thought I searched in my entire life since I got my first computer.
Essentialy, those in posession of that power can blackmail anyone they dislike because everyone has searched something that's wrong in the eyes of the public at least once in their lives.
TheGodson (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 05:13:42 AM

I use it primarily...

Me too.

I don't like the idea of a server that has access to every thought I searched in my entire life since I got my first computer.
Essentialy, those in posession of that power can blackmail anyone they dislike because everyone has searched something that's wrong in the eyes of the public at least once in their lives.

I've just switched from Microsoft Edge to Firefox. I use to be a chrome person, but it slowed down my computer. Something to be aware of with Firefox is that by default it saves your passwords in the browser. So if anybody has access to your computer they will be able to see whatever passwords you've used. I really dislike Firefox for doing this, but their user interface is so great that I've made the switch. Plus it is fast!

I'll repeat once again, just be aware that Firefox saves passwords by default. So if you don't like this feature you have to manually turn it off.
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 02:00:58 PM

I use it primarily...

Me too.

I've just switched from Microsoft Edge to Firefox. I use to be a chrome person, but it slowed down my computer. Something to be aware of with Firefox is that by default it saves your passwords in the browser. So if anybody has access to your computer they will be able to see whatever passwords you've used. I really dislike Firefox for doing this, but their user interface is so great that I've made the switch. Plus it is fast!

I'll repeat once again, just be aware that Firefox saves passwords by default. So if you don't like this feature you have to manually turn it off.

Is that really true?
I always get a messege saying do you want Firefox to save this password and I click no o.o
Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 07:32:35 PM

I use VPN and DuckDuckGo browser on phone whenever I browse, my fav feature is that there is a 'burn' button just near the address bar which can burn all the data and history in a single click. Pretty convenient
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 10:19:17 PM

I've been working on becoming a web developer. So I started downloading all the major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Opera). I also took a look at some other search engines and have discovered DuckDuckGo. I'm really liking it so far, because when you search for things there are the classic tabs: Web, Images, Videos, and News. Sometimes for certain keywords there are other tabs that relate to that keyword. For example, if I search up a food item there is usually a recipe tab where I can look at recipes. If I look up other types of words I may get a definition tab.

Another thing I like about the search engine is that in the Images they have the pixel size written over a transparent gray box when you hover over an image. Google has this too, but it is at the bottom of the picture and isn't as aesthetically pleasing. I also like the fact that you can get the full scale image without going to the website like you would have to do with Google. Also, another feature that I like, is when you search for something an icon of the site is to the left of the url link. This is useful if there are some sites that you know you don't like to visit. For me personally, I'm not a fan of Forbes, because it takes to long to load. With the icon there, I can identify which links I would like to click on and which ones I don't at a quicker speed.

DuckDuckGo seems like something I think a lot of people on this forum would like, because it doesn't track all the websites that you visit (or at least that is what they say). When I'm Googling it is kind of freaky when advertisements come up tailored for me. That is kind of cool, but at the same time it is just a bit creepy, because Google knows me a bit too well for my liking.

I've decided to give DuckDuckGo a try for awhile and see if I like it. Anyone else think this is cool?

censored like all private web crawler... try certain querry and you willl... I am not sure you even have an idea of what type of querry you should do to probe, it's a nice exercise for you Smiley. or maybe you could search : what is removed from private webcrawler result? hoooo... they lie to you, no, never, you are just too dumb and only seeing and not thinking. sadly.
TheGodson (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 07:08:28 AM

I use it primarily...

Me too.

Is that really true?
I always get a messege saying do you want Firefox to save this password and I click no o.o

If you go to the three bars in the upper right hand corner, then select Options, then select Privacy & Security you will see a box checked that says "Remember logins and passwords for websites." Mine was checked by default. If you click on the Saved Logins... button you'll get a list of your saved passwords.

I just tried it out, and it does indeed ask you if you want to save your password. I checked if it was in the log and it wasn't. So false alarm on Firefox saving passwords without your permission. Firefox is now cooler than I previously thought.

There is also a feature called the "Master Password". Basically it is a password to unlock your other passwords. This is pretty cool. This way you only need to remember one password for all the sites you login to. Someone from an outside computer would still have to deal with the many passwords you've set up. I'm probably not going to be using this feature, but I still think it is a great option. Long ago, I was contemplating building a website that does this for you, but it appears Firefox has already done it.
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:16:23 AM

I use it primarily...

Me too.

Is that really true?

If you go to the three bars in the upper right hand corner, then select Options, then select Privacy & Security you will see a box checked that says "Remember logins and passwords for websites." Mine was checked by default. If you click on the Saved Logins... button you'll get a list of your saved passwords.

I just tried it out, and it does indeed ask you if you want to save your password. I checked if it was in the log and it wasn't. So false alarm on Firefox saving passwords without your permission. Firefox is now cooler than I previously thought.

There is also a feature called the "Master Password". Basically it is a password to unlock your other passwords. This is pretty cool. This way you only need to remember one password for all the sites you login to. Someone from an outside computer would still have to deal with the many passwords you've set up. I'm probably not going to be using this feature, but I still think it is a great option. Long ago, I was contemplating building a website that does this for you, but it appears Firefox has already done it.

a computer is just good for video games and Point of Sales... it's a like a trading station in market, everyone can see what you do with it. the only things well kept on the internet is the videos logs and papers logs if jeffrey esptein in his sex orgies with underage girls, billionaires, royals, high western officials... for the rest, it's public.

a computer isn't a pc, as private computer, but PUBLIC computer, remember they inverse everything. they are upside down. they are in a soul shakedown... and frankly there is nothing you can do to help them. it's too late. it's powers too big for humans to understand... the only things is expedite their ends.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 02:27:15 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

Even if said server makes your life more convenient?  I love how Google knows traffic flows.  I love the way I turn on my GPS and it already knows where I want to go based on my calendar.

The world is moving towards absolute observation.  You can fight it, but it will win over time. 

In twenty years, the mist outside your room won't be condensation... it will be tiny drones that float into your respiratory system, tag your DNA and transmit constant updates to its owner.  You may have thousands of drones in your body at one time... 

:/

aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:28:16 PM

Even if said server makes your life more convenient?  I love how Google knows traffic flows.  I love the way I turn on my GPS and it already knows where I want to go based on my calendar.

The world is moving towards absolute observation.  You can fight it, but it will win over time. 

In twenty years, the mist outside your room won't be condensation... it will be tiny drones that float into your respiratory system, tag your DNA and transmit constant updates to its owner.  You may have thousands of drones in your body at one time... 

I choose to fight it.
They will have to offer me a lot more than just convenience to give them all the information about my life.
I choose to have at least some secrets.

Privacy is liberty in my opinion.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:55:56 PM

Not a fan of DDG to be honest, its results are nowhere near as accurate as the ones that I get from startpage/ixquick, and it's even worse if I want to search for stuff in languages other than English.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2018, 04:44:11 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2)

I like DuckDuckGo for my own searching, and Google annoys me by returning results that it thinks I ought to see, rather than results that i want. Unfortunately, I need to preserve an active relationship with Google to ensure that I can get traffic to my websites. The omni-box has been a disaster for domain owners who relied on direct navigation for much of their traffic.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 01:35:06 PM

I'll be another one that prefers to use StartPage as an alternative to both Google, and DDG. DDG as a concept is great, but in reality it's too much of a pain to find the things that you want. Google is up there with the way it handles search results, and probably is the best other than for the privacy concerns. As JetCash mentioned Google also likes to give you a lot of it's results based on money rather than what you are actually searching.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 07:38:48 PM

I made DuckDuckGo my default browser a few weeks back, I'm liking it as well. It has a simpler user interface, which i'm still getting used to but the browser seems to be smarter than Firefox or Chrome.

For example, if I'm looking up a song title I'll get "videos" as a hot link (among others), however if I'm looking up a backyard barbeque I'll get a "products" hot link to appear.

Additionally, DDG has some quick filters at the top of the search results to narrow down the geographic area and time period of the search.

The predictive ads from other browsers are the worst - they're not even timely! I go to my bank account's website today (to confirm if my bitcoin purchase has been debited, of course) and tomorrow I have an ad for my bank account's website. I wonder how much my dumb bank pays for that misappropriated ad!
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 05:13:17 PM

Not a fan of DDG to be honest, its results are nowhere near as accurate as the ones that I get from startpage/ixquick, and it's even worse if I want to search for stuff in languages other than English.

I'll be another one that prefers to use StartPage as an alternative to both Google, and DDG. DDG as a concept is great, but in reality it's too much of a pain to find the things that you want. Google is up there with the way it handles search results, and probably is the best other than for the privacy concerns. As JetCash mentioned Google also likes to give you a lot of it's results based on money rather than what you are actually searching.

Doesn't DDG have the same results as google does?
Except for images.

I've been using it for over a month now for basically everything and I never had any problems.
The only thing I resort back to google is when I'm searching for images.

Yes.
I preferr fighting it.

I can't deny it's convenient to open YouTube and have all the vids I want to see in front of me..
But in the greather scheme of things, I don't think that's a good thing.
Too much power concetrated in one place, that can easily be abused (it probably already is).
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 06:32:14 PM
Merited by Pearls Before Swine (1)

As long as it is the official search engine in TOR browser it is much better than google, no need to add anything else.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 12:32:38 AM

As long as it is the official search engine in TOR browser it is much better than google, no need to add anything else.

I used to think, this was a default search engine only for tor! Silly me LOL. I don't know why I did not like it in tor but after reading this post I tried to give it a go and searched for it. The extension came out and when I was going to add the extension - then this nice little message just sold me. I am gonna give it a go over google for few days.

The post was an eye opener for me.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:56:12 AM

I myself have never used Tor, since I've no interest in what I think it represents and what it's a tool for, but thank you for this post.  Was not aware that this was the case.  Over time I've come to distrust Google and I think they've got their collective fingers in too many pies.  They seem to be worse than Facebook in terms of how much personal information they have access to and thus how much power they wield.

If only I owned a significant block of Google stock, which I think is called Alphabet now, because I would love to be able to vote my proxy for same once a year for the shareholder meeting.  I think everyone should own stock in companies they despise for just this purpose.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: