Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:07:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyBitcoin REALLY is back up, with an announcement  (Read 1855 times)
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:44:09 AM

https://www.mybitcoin.com/

If you can't access it for any reason the message a saw was this:

Thursday, August 4th, 2011

From the desk of Tom Williams, operator of MyBitcoin.com

For immediate release.

As you have probably noticed, MyBitcoin.com had been down for almost a week due to an unfortunate event.

On Friday of last week we noticed that one of our pooled holding servers was missing a large amount of Bitcoins. After a prompt investigation we realized that the security of our SCI (Shopping Cart Interface) system had been breached by an unknown attacker.

Our response was rash, but necessary. We simply switched the system off until we could have system-wide forensics performed. The forensics took some time, as the system is quite complex by nature.

After weighing all of our options, we have realized that we have no option but to go into receivership. We will settle all accounts with a online claim process that we are currently in the process of working out.

We will release more detailed information about the security breach, the claim process, and our balance sheet in the next few days.

Tom Williams

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:11:00 AM

Remember the adage, "never blame on malice what can be blamed on stupidity."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bitminers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:24:50 AM

It's Fraud! He is lying think about it.....!
dancupid (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:32:35 AM

It's Fraud! He is lying think about it.....!

I think the details are a bit strange and why did it take a week? It could also be a hack. But it's still better then a timed out connection. And it does offer a slight ray of hope for people who have lost something.
bitminers

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:53:14 AM

I think that there is hope for everyone, has anyone seen any movements of the BTC out?

Hopefully there will be some good news for everyone.
the founder (Bitcoin)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 09:20:33 AM

Buy time buy time, everybody do your share!
terodeg

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 09:53:08 AM

i trust them and i'll wait for the claim process.
Gerken

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:13:06 PM

Why is it buy time?  Do you know what receivership is? 

bitminers

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:59:36 PM

LOL obviously not. Receivership in this case is though to Mr Williams is that I think he has been found and knows he is in big trouble, if he is claiming to be in going into receivership it doesn't really make much sense does it Huh?

The hack I think is a cover up for I've done the wrong thing, and he is thinking how is he going to get out of trouble when he was commiting fraud and has been caught out!

He will be caught and bought to justice. As long as people get their coins back, and this person gets what he deserves. It will deter any other scum from trying to commit the same act.
malbritten

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:43:22 PM

It doesn't matter if it's up or not. The damage has been done.

I'm not talking about the targii who thought they could trust some random internet guy taking their currency which has anonymity has a selling point who lost some BTC.

I'm talking about how those targii are now crying to the government asking them for help.  This will only speed up the government regulation/banning of BTC. Thank idiots. Thanks.
The Vark

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:51:24 PM

No one knows what "receivership" is in this context.  I assume it means he is going to divide up the remaining BTC between everyone, maybe based on how much they had deposited at the time of the "attack". 

That would sort of mirror what would happen in the real world when a company dissolves.

BlockHash

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:52:43 PM

I'm not talking about the targii who thought they could trust some random internet guy taking their currency which has anonymity has a selling point who lost some BTC.

I'm talking about how those targii are now crying to the government asking them for help.  This will only speed up the government regulation/banning of BTC. Thank idiots. Thanks.

It is pretty funny that a community as anti-government, anti-tax, and pro-libertarian as this one resorts at the drop of a hat to screaming "BIG GOVERNMENT COME HELP US! I DEMAND JUSTICE". Bruce Wagner being the main one leading the charge.

Whatever mental gymnastics it takes for them to justify it, I guess. But this will only cause more issues for BitCoin as this opens the door for every agency under the banner of the government to get inside and start picking it apart.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:12:28 PM

I'm talking about how those targii are now crying to the government asking them for help.  This will only speed up the government regulation/banning of BTC. Thank idiots. Thanks.

It is pretty funny that a community as anti-government, anti-tax, and pro-libertarian as this one resorts at the drop of a hat to screaming "BIG GOVERNMENT COME HELP US! I DEMAND JUSTICE". Bruce Wagner being the main one leading the charge.

Whatever mental gymnastics it takes for them to justify it, I guess. But this will only cause more issues for BitCoin as this opens the door for every agency under the banner of the government to get inside and start picking it apart.

Come join #bitcoin-police, we have stacks of info, and not relying on governments.
Gerken

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:21:34 PM

Sorry the BitFBI is taking jurisdiction of this case.  Hand over the files and get out. 

BlockHash

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:22:53 PM

Come join #bitcoin-police, we have stacks of info, and not relying on governments.

Where's it located? I'll be glad to come over and take a look, maybe even get involved if I can help.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:58:12 PM

Where's it located? I'll be glad to come over and take a look, maybe even get involved if I can help.

freenode
bitminers

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:33:05 PM

@ BLOCKHASH - What would you do if you lost over 25,000 coins yourself? and get your damn facts right, the FBI contacted Bruce how many Bitcoins do you idiots have? and what would you do? Everything you could to get them back, grow up.
Gerken

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 04:55:29 PM

So in other words, you only believe in Libertarian values when they benefit you?

release

Activity: 184
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:19:43 PM

I bet that guy just ran off with all of our bitcoins, and pretends some hacker did it.
BlockHash

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 05:27:54 PM

@ BLOCKHASH - What would you do if you lost over 25,000 coins yourself? and get your damn facts right, the FBI contacted Bruce how many Bitcoins do you idiots have? and what would you do? Everything you could to get them back, grow up.

Good question. As I never would have trusted a site like that with my BitCoins anyway, it's hard for me to say what I would do.

As a strong Libertarian, I know that going to the government for help contradicts my ideals and worldview. I would not be anxious to get the government involved at all, no matter how many of my BitCoins were stolen because I know that it will only lead to further infringement on our rights as citizens and in this Bitcoin market. If you truly believe in Bitcoin, you should know that the free market will correct this on its own and those that lose out should learn a valuable lesson for the next time they trust organizations on blind trust.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: