Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:13:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MetaMask funds locked in.  (Read 208 times)
cryptoknight_ (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 06:50:42 PM

I think I may have accidently run into a metamask flaw, not sure. I was transferring some ethereum from metamask and noticed ten minutes had gone by and nothing was transferred. I checked and it said transaction pending. Its been more 12 hours and it is still pending. I tried sending another transaction and it kept saying pending as well but with the following message:  There is a Pending Txn with a lower account nonce. This Txn can only be executed after confirmation of the earlier TxHash.

I realized then that the problem is the first transaction so I looked further and noticed the gas price for the transaction I sent was way too low. I never touched the gas price because normally metaMask sets that for me automatically. So now I cant send anything out because of this one transaction wont be be confirmed. Does this mean my funds are locked in my metaMask wallet? If not how do I withdraw my ethereum from metaMask because I cant withdraw anything until my first transaction is confirmed. I tried to cancel the transaction but it didnt work.

Is there a solution for this or have I lost my funds forever?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptoknight_ (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 06:54:19 PM

Here is what the gas price was set at. I think it is way too low.

Block Height:(Pending)Time LastSeen: 00 hr 12 min 37 secs ago (Apr-30-2018 06:40:14 PM)Time FirstSeen:14 hrs ago (Apr-30-2018 04:52:26 AM)Estimated Confirmation Duration:~ 3 hrs : 11 mins : 15 secs |

Value: 0.16 Ether ($109.37) Gas Limit: 7592488 Gas Used By Txn: Pending Gas Price: 0.000000002 Ether (2 Gwei) Max Txn Cost/Fee: 0.015184976 Ether ($10.38) Nonce: 2
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:47:46 PM

Does this mean my funds are locked in my metaMask wallet? If not how do I withdraw my ethereum from metaMask because I cant withdraw anything until my first transaction is confirmed.......

You will need to wait until the transaction time expires. I assume the transaction fee was really low (although you are saying you did not touch the default). It happened with me once. For an ICO i wanted to transfer the fund but unfortunately the gas price was too law and I ended up waiting for over 6 hours to make a new transaction.

Just be patience and wait....

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:30:19 PM

It's actually the other way around.

Gas Limit: 7592488 Gas Used By Txn: Pending Gas Price: 0.000000002 Ether (2 Gwei) Max Txn Cost/Fee: 0.015184976 Ether ($10.38) Nonce: 2
As you can see, the gas limit of the transaction is 7,592,488, while the current block gas limit is ~8,000,000 gas
Blocks in ethereum have a block gas limit, which determines how many transactions can fit in a block, similar to the block size limit in bitcoin.
Your transaction has a very high gas limit so if it is included in a block, there wouldn't be space for other pricier transactions.
So your transaction would most likely not be mined any time soon.

However, in ethereum, you can "replace" pending transactions by broadcasting a transaction with the same nonce but with a higher gas price.

To do that you'll need MyEtherWallet. Go to MEW website, to the offline transactions tab, in the field for the "from" address, insert your address, in the destination address insert any random ethereum Address. In the amount to be sent, input 0 eth.
Set gas limit as 21,000 or 30,000. Set gas price according to ethgasstation.info (3 gwei should do the trick) note that the price is in Wei, so 3 gwei = 3000000000 Wei (9 zeroes after 3)
In the nonce field insert the same nonce as the pending transaction which is 2.
Then import your private key, sign the transaction and broadcast it.
This new transaction will override the pending one and you can now resend it with the correct gas limit this time.
majidkhan

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:52:00 PM

I have the same problem before after sdnding some ether my metamask crashed and it didn send the amount.
i waited for a few days but i forgot it becouse the amount of sending was low.
cryptoknight_ (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 09:54:02 PM

Does this mean my funds are locked in my metaMask wallet? If not how do I withdraw my ethereum from metaMask because I cant withdraw anything until my first transaction is confirmed.......

You will need to wait until the transaction time expires. I assume the transaction fee was really low (although you are saying you did not touch the default). It happened with me once. For an ICO i wanted to transfer the fund but unfortunately the gas price was too law and I ended up waiting for over 6 hours to make a new transaction.

Just be patience and wait....

Thats what I am hoping will happen, just wait and see but its going on 24 hours now.
cryptoknight_ (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 10:01:16 PM

Gas Limit: 7592488 Gas Used By Txn: Pending Gas Price: 0.000000002 Ether (2 Gwei) Max Txn Cost/Fee: 0.015184976 Ether ($10.38) Nonce: 2
As you can see, the gas limit of the transaction is 7,592,488, while the current block gas limit is ~8,000,000 gas
Blocks in ethereum have a block gas limit, which determines how many transactions can fit in a block, similar to the block size limit in bitcoin.
Your transaction has a very high gas limit so if it is included in a block, there wouldn't be space for other pricier transactions.

However, in ethereum, you can "replace" pending transactions by broadcasting a transaction with the same nonce but with a higher gas price.

To do that you'll need MyEtherWallet. Go to MEW website, to the offline transactions tab, in the field for the "from" address, insert your address, in the destination address insert any random ethereum Address. In the amount to be sent, input 0 eth.
Set gas limit as 21,000 or 30,000. Set gas price according to ethgasstation.info (3 gwei should do the trick) note that the price is in Wei, so 3 gwei = 3000000000 Wei (9 zeroes after 3)
In the nonce field insert the same nonce as the pending transaction which is 2.
Then import your private key, sign the transaction and broadcast it.
This new transaction will override the pending one and you can now resend it with the correct gas limit this time.

I tried everything step by step. At the end in step two it ask me how I would like to connect to my wallet, I select metamask. Then I click generate transaction and  it gives me a raw transaction and signed transaction. The signed transaction automatically gets pasted into the sign transaction box in next step 3 which is the last step. I click send transaction then it give me a red signal at the bottom which says error_13 invalid signed transaction.

I thought about what you said earlier and the reason I said the price was too low was because I was looking at 0.000000002 Ethereum price.
cryptoknight_ (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 10:09:44 PM

How long do you think something like this would take? Its been about 18 hours now.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 05:11:39 AM

I tried everything step by step. At the end in step two it ask me how I would like to connect to my wallet, I select metamask. Then I click generate transaction and  it gives me a raw transaction and signed transaction. The signed transaction automatically gets pasted into the sign transaction box in next step 3 which is the last step. I click send transaction then it give me a red signal at the bottom which says error_13 invalid signed transaction.
Here are options to try:
1) connect with a different browser entirely (eg Chrome)
2) Use another method apart from Metamask to unlock your wallet.
If you're going to enter your private key or seed into any website, download the MyEtherWallet website from here And and do everything from there, then copy the final signed transaction and paste it in the online website to broadcast it.
cryptoknight_ (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 11:51:29 PM

Here are options to try:
1) connect with a different browser entirely (eg Chrome)
2) Use another method apart from Metamask to unlock your wallet.
If you're going to enter your private key or seed into any website, download the MyEtherWallet website from here And and do everything from there, then copy the final signed transaction and paste it in the online website to broadcast it.

Thank you very much, it worked. Everything is fine now.
mkumar76

Activity: 92

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:53:25 AM

Block Height:(Pending)Time LastSeen: 00 hr 12 min 37 secs ago (Apr-30-2018 06:40:14 PM)Time FirstSeen:14 hrs ago (Apr-30-2018 04:52:26 AM)Estimated Confirmation Duration:~ 3 hrs : 11 mins : 15 secs |

Value: 0.16 Ether ($109.37) Gas Limit: 7592488 Gas Used By Txn: Pending Gas Price: 0.000000002 Ether (2 Gwei) Max Txn Cost/Fee: 0.015184976 Ether ($10.38) Nonce: 2

if you was just transferring ethereum from metamask to other ether address/wallet , then why chosen such a high gas limit , normally it consume 21k gas limit , however to be on safe side you can choose 250k limit .

even if txn get pending then nothing to worry about . in metamask there is option to resend the same transaction with new gas limit and high gas fee , in this case previous txn get erased from blockchain and new txn start processing .
you can use this tip in future .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: